Philips GA 242

vivekkumar

Hello fellow members

I own a Philips GA 242 TT, not in working order. Seeing this a friend also left his 242 with me, with the hope that at least I could make one of them functional. But nothing happened. I joined this forum lately and came across this group of TT enthusiasts. Can someone help me get these TTs repaired and back in working order? I have a varied collection of vinyls too, from Moody Blues to Peter Framtom, Shakti, Sunshine band... Pink Floyd, Doors, Led Zepp, ABBA, and lots more, Miles Davis, Aldi Meola...

Vivek,
If possible please post the pics and mention problem/s the turntable is having.
Regards

Thanks for the prompt reply Hiten. Will shortly send pictures of both. The evident problems in one of them is erratic RPM ( i think spoilt motor ) bad cartridge and the cartridge lead in wires.

If I remember 242 has DC brush motor. so brushes may have worn out. They also have electronic speed control with presets, they may be intermittent. Or a loose Belt. Only guessing though.
If possible take pics removing platter of motor, belts and cartridge.
Regards

Thanks again Hiten. I'm not too sure about the type of motor, but yes it does have an electronic speed control. Belt, i changed and it made no difference. Will post pics as desired, and I must say you are thorough with TTs.

I may be wrong but if it has speed control chances are it has DC motor. Also please don't embarrass me.
Do post pictures.
Regards

Hi,

Even I own a Philips 242 which I had to bring to life as well. I am also from Delhi. If you are willing, we can work together in bringing your turntable to life. I can probably pass on my experiences to you. Also it would be great to check out each other's vinyl collection. I own a lot of rock LPs as well. Lemme knw. All the best !!

Cheers
Kartick

If you have changed the belt (hope its not too tight or loose) and still having speed problems then lubricate rotating parts, then clean the presets with tiny bit of zorrik 88 or with Iso Propyl Alcohol. But would like to warn you with very old unused presets carbon tracks becomes very fragile and may get damaged. You have a spare 242 is good you can replace damaged parts. From whatever glimpse the pic is showing cartridge looks good. Glad that Kartick will be helping you. Do keep us updated.
Regards

I too have philips 242. It works very well but both speeds 33 and 45 are little bit high..how can i slow them down to correct speed..

Hi..I too have a 242 TT. It works very well but both the speeds 33 & 45 are little bit on higher side...how can I slow them to correct speed ?

Thanks Vivek for reply....
Can you / others suggest a perfect stereo amplifier for philips 242..

the same model is available with a friend of mine...it's original from philips holland...happen to hear it playing.....flawless...do tell me if any1 is interested in buying...

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back