Philips SHP8900 @ 3k - need advice

anm

Hi,
Has anyone tried it and compared with the big brand sennheiser HDxxx?
Is there anything in the same price range, maybe upto 4k that is better than this?
regards

some of the reviews on tech enclave and head fi are very encouraging. This is available at future bazar for ~3k, while in Reliance digital I think it was there for 3.6k.

Have never heard these. Was looking at the SHP9000 recently and that got some very favourable reviews on Head-Fi as good VFM options. MRP is around 4k I think. Haven't heard either though.

I have heard a number of the sub 5k Sennheisers. Didnt really like them - seemed too bass heavy for my taste. That said, these were brief auditions and more reflective of personal preference than objective fact.

edit: I haven't heard any of the Senn in ear or lightweight headphones - only the large HD series ones

Last edited:
Hi,
Is there anything in the same price range, maybe upto 4k that is better than this?
regards

I got sennheiser HD 202 from croma for Rs.1590 this THURSDAY.I just got it as speci were good like THD<0.5, sensitivity is high & the name.

I was not having rev of it ,but just went for it.I checked on net afterwards & they are +ve (4.5/5) on newegg,amazon.Only prob with Big ears as they may not fit properly.

Coming to the sound,it is good.Bass is deep(still not burned-in)Occasionally can appear boomy as HD is closed type.Treble is sweat.Vocals are better ,not the best.

I compared to my old cheap Blues 812 (Rs.150) which are very accurate in the price,I found marginal improvement over it.(still to use in full capabilities)

My ratings can be 4/5.

hey, can you please compare with Philips 8900 headphones whenever you go out to reliance digital etc next?
I auditioned HD407 IIRC the model number, and I find them decent - but some of the parts were shrill - it could be the ipod, or 128 bit mp3 too.

regards

hey, can you please compare with Philips 8900 headphones whenever you go out to reliance digital etc next?
I auditioned HD407 IIRC the model number, and I find them decent - but some of the parts were shrill - it could be the ipod, or 128 bit mp3 too.

regards

Well taking Demo of Headphone without buying is really prob.(opening covers etc)
But I can say some thing about philips as before buying HD202 ,I auditioned that & Sony.(dont ask models,price 1200 around)
I found HD202 is better than them.nothing wrong with others,but Bass was lacking a bit & highs were little pointed.May burning-in may improve.
Phil.HP were very large & I felt loose on my ears.HD202 fits perfect(not large ears)

I will still recommend Blues-SLR812 Rs.150 HP,you may ignore me ,but SQ is best for entry level.

abt HD202,it goes very deep(60-Hz?) Doing that I felt midBass is not punchy.

Last edited:
I have sony erricson walkman series in ear headphone. They are good. I have 2 of them.
But I want something over the head too, instead of in ear.

Anyone having experience with philips SHP 8900?

I have been using SHP 9000 for more than a year. It costs Rs. 4000 or sothough check latest prices with the retailer. I have never heard about 8900 but used other models SHP 2700 and 5400 as well.

I am very much impressed by its performance given its extremely low price. Generally Philips is not considered to be a audiophile brand but there are very few models and brands (such as AKG 701) which can beat the sound quality and built of 9000. Any audiophile brand would put additional USD 300 to 500 to it.

The sound quality is superb, much better than Senn 595. If I am in your position, I will go for it.

If you are in Delhi, come over for a listen.

best

First of all I have no idea about the Philips SHP8900.

But today I went to Forum@Bangalore for buying Sennheiser HD 202(Rs. 1500/-) and I tried it there. It was connected with an iPod. when I listened to i felt that:
- Good sound clarity
- Max volume is not enough.
- Less comfortable
- Bass is not deep enough

There was a Denon AH-P372K(Rs. 3500/-) for demo, I tried that too. It was awesome with deep bass, great sound clarity and the max volume was more than enough for me.

Hi,
regards

Hey Anm,
You can find my review of a bit lower end philips can in the headphones thread.

http://www.hifivision.com/audio-video-accessories/1764-headphones-10.html#post89549

If you are considering the 8900, I would recommend the SHP 9000 which is currently the highest end headphone by philps world going for <4k in india.

eBay India: Philips SHP9000 Indoor Corded Headphone (item 180440729033 end time 06-Dec-2009 10:30:52 IST)

You may find it to be higher priced in the UK..

Philips SHP9000/00 - Cineos HiFi Stereo Headphones: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

So, its real worth india is much more than the price it is sold at. Just less because it is manufactured here. It replaced the legendary philips 1000s which were honoured well by audiophiles.

The sennheisers are just the opposite, cheaper in the UK and costlier here.

I have not heard them but if they are 4k from the manufacturer who sold me my HP800s for 1.5k, It should assume they are wonderful.

HD555s lack in the bass department and excel in sound stage, you can find the comparison between this and M50 in the later part of the headphone thread.

Last edited:
Thanks Blasto. I forgot the thread as much as I forgot the haeadphones. I purchased 8900. I did a quick A/B at the shop I got them at. I could not find much difference in quick A/B. It doesn't mean that 9000 is not better. It may be, but I think good audio doesn't jump out at you right away. Once you get used to it and then switch back to a lesser product, you realize what is missing. So while I was fully bent on buying 9000 even with the price difference - there was only one set available and that was not in physically best condition. I ended up purchasing 8900. However, I am not using it much these days as my stereo/ projector setup was lying packed away, and when at home I prefer to listen on stereo so that I can move around.
I think I should bring it to office - thanks for pinching at the right spot.

actually I also postponed bringing it to office thinking I could have a good headphone amp soon. But now it seems further away in time - so meanwhile I will enjoy laptop's built in sound cards headphone amp.

Thanks Blasto. I forgot the thread as much as I forgot the haeadphones. I purchased 8900. I did a quick A/B at the shop I got them at. I could not find much difference in quick A/B. It doesn't mean that 9000 is not better. It may be, but I think good audio doesn't jump out at you right away. Once you get used to it and then switch back to a lesser product, you realize what is missing. So while I was fully bent on buying 9000 even with the price difference - there was only one set available and that was not in physically best condition. I ended up purchasing 8900. However, I am not using it much these days as my stereo/ projector setup was lying packed away, and when at home I prefer to listen on stereo so that I can move around.
I think I should bring it to office - thanks for pinching at the right spot.

Oops, Just now saw that the thread was started in july.. :D The post prior to mine possibly brought this to the top.. :)

Are you interested in SHP 9000? Do PM me. I would like to sell it at a discounted price as I have just got Audio Technica AD700.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back