Phono Cartridge dilemma

frend2001

Hi FMs

My TT rather the cart has a condition and I'm in need of your help.

Recently it has developed crackle and the crackle is audible even on ex and mint LPs.

The VTF is set at 1.5gm and anti-skat is set at 0.

The cart is Audio technical CN5625AL.

what could be the reason ?

worn stylus or some alignment issue ?

Please give your valuable inputs...

thanks guys

Please clean the stylus tip. It may have excess dirt stuck on it which will result in such noise even while playing mint records. Why not remove the head shell and get a closer look at the stylus tip with a magnifying glass to see if dirt is covering the tip.

@ Kuruvila Sir

your tip has worked. There was a very fine accumulation of dirt and grit on stylus tip. I cleaned it with IPA and the crackle has become subdueded.

Also the veil has lifted from the sound.

Thanks a lot Sir.

@ Kuruvila Sir

your tip has worked. There was a very fine accumulation of dirt and grit on stylus tip. I cleaned it with IPA and the crackle has become subdueded.

Also the veil has lifted from the sound.

Thanks a lot Sir.

It is not recommended that you clean the stylus with IPA...the diamond tip is usually glued to cantilever and this may give up when reacting with IPA....

I did not recommend cleaning with IPA. Yes, IPA can remove the glue and the tip can get dislodged. Since prevention is better than cure, you can start cleaning your records and inspect the record before you play by lighting a torch on to the record and if you find any dust particles, these can be removed. If you wish to know more about record cleaning, you can find it on kuruvilajacob's record cleaning on youtube

Last edited:
I use very very delicate (extremely soft) brush to clean tip and nothing more. And I take ample time to clean tip. If you are fan on more accurate then search "onzow zerodust stylus cleaner". Some people use Magic Eraser (ME) Cleaner. It has some risk involved if not used properly. But ME is good for MM cart with not so delicate cantilever. I never tried liquid cleaners.

Last edited:
Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back