phono turntable repairs

Dear Fms,
One channel of my turntable died on me and I have done all I could with my DIY abilities to find the problem. It turned out that there is no continuity in the right channel. Changing the RCAs would be a task in itself. But should I try and check if the tonearm wires have a problem? Like what is the possibility of the tonearm wire breaking in regular day to day use? I am dreading to open the arm up. Unfortunately I don't know anyone around in Mumbai who could look into this problem. if there are any DIYer in Mumbai or Pune who would be willing to help please let me know. I would come to you at your convenience.
thanks.
Varun

Try our FM analogadikt who is in Navi Mumbai. He is an expert and a kind gentleman, would definitely help you solve the issue.

Hi,

1. Check the continuity of RCA cables.
2. Check that of tonearm cables if RCA cord is fine.
3. Take out the headshell and clean the contact points on the headshell and that of the tonearm.
4. Check if small wires connecting to the headshell contact from cartridge are attached/ wired correctly.
5. Never check continuity of cartridge by a multimeter tester.

This is all considering that your amp is fine. You should also swap channels at the amp input point and see if the problem is with the TT or with the amp.

Regards,
Saket.

All the suggestions you have made were adhered to Mr. Saket. To check the tonearm wire continuity, one has to open the tables right? Can't think of any other way.

There's a guy in Opera House called Pandu who fixes record players, etc. I can't attest to how skilled he would be in terms of fixing a tonearm, but wouldn't hurt to show it to him. His number is 9619816225

All the suggestions you have made were adhered to Mr. Saket. To check the tonearm wire continuity, one has to open the tables right? Can't think of any other way.

So, you have also tried swapping the channels at amp level and now you're sure that it's the TT? If everything is fine, then the fault could be with the cartridge. Try swapping yours with a known working one or else, put your cart on a different set up to be sure.

Regards.

I put my cart on my thorens. In fact I am listening to it as I write to you. Cart if fine on the Thorens. it would have been a bigger disaster had the cart blown up. NAGAOKA MP500s are bloody expensive. Thankfully that did not happen. Now it is a shootout between RCA and tonearm wires. But if one thinks logically, it is almost impossible to break the tonearm wire in regular use. If a solder joint has come off from the tonearm assembly then it is a different thing.

Since the cart is fine, then eventually it boils down to the tone arm wires, RCA cables and the 4 contact point between the headshell and the tonearm. Frankly, this should not be difficult to check and repair. Just remove the headshell and check the continuity from tone arm contact point to the RCAs one by one of all the 4 wires with a multitester. At this step, no need to take off the back cover of your technics too. You will pinpoint the problem area within 2 minutes by this approach. Either is a broken wire, dirty contact point or a dry solder.

Last edited:
tonearm contact points have been checked. the right channel is not working. I even changed the RCA plugs and soldered new ones but to no avail. so either the RCA is damaged somewhere in the run up to the table or...god forbid...it is the tonearm wire.

Just Take a Multimeter and check the continuity between the four terminal on the back of cartridge and your RCA connectors. There are two ground wires and one for left and one for right channel. if it all works then there is a probability of the amplifier in the phono input stage.

Just Take a Multimeter and check the continuity between the four terminal on the back of cartridge and your RCA connectors. There are two ground wires and one for left and one for right channel. if it all works then there is a probability of the amplifier in the phono input stage.

There can be a problem with the dry soldering of the cartridge end terminals. clean them, even if it doesnt work, probably cartridge is damaged.

If you are using n MM cartridge, using a multi meter will not damage the cartridge. you can just check the continuity at the RCA pins . If there is no continuity there on any of the channels, check backwards starting with RCA pin. By slowly twisting the RCA pin, you can find if the fault is with the pin. To check the wire, you may need to open the TT. What I am trying to explain is that if you check every stage there is a soldering or connection, that needs to be checked with the continuity meter to identify. The biggest challenge will be if the breakage is in the tonearm wiring.

So I finally had to open my TT and change the RCA cables. I think that the cables were definitely changed by the previous owner too. The solder work was shoddy. How shoddy? The small aluminium patches at the joints came off the moment I desoldered. So what I thought would be a 15 min job, turned into a 3 hour escapade. The metal patch joining the right ground to the tonearm ground came off. So had to make the connection direct. But it all ended well. Thank you so much for the inputs. It was 30 years back that I lifted a soldering iron. But thank god.

Dear Fms,
One channel of my turntable died on me and I have done all I could with my DIY abilities to find the problem. It turned out that there is no continuity in the right channel. Changing the RCAs would be a task in itself. But should I try and check if the tonearm wires have a problem? Like what is the possibility of the tonearm wire breaking in regular day to day use? I am dreading to open the arm up. Unfortunately I don't know anyone around in Mumbai who could look into this problem. if there are any DIYer in Mumbai or Pune who would be willing to help please let me know. I would come to you at your convenience.
thanks.
Varun
I could do it for you.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back