Pioneer VSX- 531 and Taga Harmony 606 SE

gokuljawahar

Hi Guys,

After a lot of discussion and thoughts, i finally ordered my home theater set it up. Its been just two days and i thought i will give an initial thoughts which i have.

Ordered both the AV receiver and Speakers from HiFiMART. Ordered it on Monday and got the package on friday. Packing was superb and received everything without any damage :). Unboxing and setting up the speakers is a two man job, especially the towers. They are heavy. I had bought 16 AWG wires from amazon (Amazon Basics). Setting up the speakers and receivers took some time, but was easy. nothing so complicated, except the bi-wiring of the front towers, which was something new for me. So had to do some research before connecting them. Used the MCACC auto calibration with the help of a tripod and i was all set to fire up the system. Below is the setup

IMG_20171210_163802 - Copy.jpg

I have all my media in a portable hard disk which is connected to my Nvidia Shield (2017). So its my main media hub. played some youtube videos and they sounded just normal. Nothing mind-blowing. music also sounded just normal. You can feel the bass at higher volumes, around 60 in the receiver. It was not a let down as i know that its not a setup for music or youtube videos.

I had downloaded few of the Dolby demo videos from their website. Played them. Now, that feels so different. It was like the receiver and speakers got life. Sound was amazing...literally mind-blowing. Even without sub-woofer, i could feel the thunder making my couch tremble. Played Avengers 2018 Trailer and i was so so happy with the money which i spend. It just felt so good :)

DTS files was not giving only stereo output from the speakers. Was bit worried in the beginning. Later i figured out that it was some setting in Kodi in my Nvidia shield.

Overall, a really good buy

Cool setup
Can you confirm me this AVR is capable of playing original Atmos clip as dolby/Prologic and DTS:X clip as normal dts/dolby/Prologic.
Ultimately AVR should deliver some sort of 5.1 instead saying unsupported format/Crackling sound
I am looking this receiver for my secondary setup.i am having lot of Atmos and Dts clips which i am going to use it for basic 5.1 setup.

Last edited:
Cool setup
Can you confirm me this AVR is capable of playing original Atmos clip as dolby/Prologic and DTS:X clip as normal dts/dolby/Prologic.
Ultimately AVR should deliver some sort of 5.1 instead saying unsupported format/Crackling sound
I am looking this receiver for my secondary setup.i am having lot of Atmos and Dts clips which i am going to use it for basic 5.1 setup.
Hey, i just tried playing atmos and dts x demo file and both of them played as Dolby True HD and DTS HD Master audio. i think it depends on the source which you use to play these files. i was playing these files from my nvidia shield.

Hey, i just tried playing atmos and dts x demo file and both of them played as Dolby True HD and DTS HD Master audio. i think it depends on the source which you use to play these files. i was playing these files from my nvidia shield.
Thanks for the info.
No issues if it is playing as Dolby True HD and DTS HD Master audio.I want audio out from the AVR ( 5.1 ) nothing else.It should sense and give output tats it.
Hope you have checked those files with your laptop before checking in your AVR.
Possible can you share me those screen shot for Atmos and Dts X demo clip something like this ( attached image) while playing from laptop/PC.
i want to make sure before pulling the trigger on VSX 531 otherwise i have to look for VSX 932 /VSX LX 302 which i don't want to invest as it is my secondary setup.i have got one feed back as it is not playing Atmos & DTS : X as a normal audio ( some crackling noise observed ) even i think it is because of source.
For me i am planning to use it thru HTPC only so no issues on source side.
One more query about VSX - 531 - is it having GUI over HDMI ? - Any display shows thru GUI on TV screen to see the output speaker configuration( how many speakers active during playing).info about input and output audio and speaker config.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    267.4 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Thanks for the info.
No issues if it is playing as Dolby True HD and DTS HD Master audio.I want audio out from the AVR ( 5.1 ) nothing else.It should sense and give output tats it.
Hope you have checked those files with your laptop before checking in your AVR.
Possible can you share me those screen shot for Atmos and Dts X demo clip something like this ( attached image) while playing from laptop/PC.
i want to make sure before pulling the trigger on VSX 531 otherwise i have to look for VSX 932 /VSX LX 302 which i don't want to invest as it is my secondary setup.i have got one feed back as it is not playing Atmos & DTS : X as a normal audio ( some crackling noise observed ) even i think it is because of source.
For me i am planning to use it thru HTPC only so no issues on source side.
One more query about VSX - 531 - is it having GUI over HDMI ? - Any display shows thru GUI on TV screen to see the output speaker configuration( how many speakers active during playing).info about input and output audio and speaker config.
Hey, i have attached the media info of the files which i used.

DTS X.jpg
Atmos.JPG

And regarding the GUI over HDMI, below is the only screen which i have seen with the VSX 531. nothing much while playing anything
GUI.jpg

Congrats on your setup.
Kodi on Nvidia Shield TV, even I face the sound compatibility issues. Most times it does not do a proper pass through.
I did some research and installed SPMC app. Its a fork of Kodi by its ex developer and its being developed for Nvidia as per web reports. It plays 2160p video and DTS audio perfectly. I just added my Nvidia Shield 2-3 days back so still working on adjustments.....

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back