Pitch control, Platter markings, strobe light - How much essential

sudhirbhosale

Hi all
I am new to turntable area. Looking to buy.
Would like to know how much essential pitch control is? I guess it is to adjust speed. If that is the case then how to find out current speed is accurate of not so that it can be adjusted by pitch control.

Can we say that direct drive TT tend to have less speed issue hence it is less required there?

Similarly how much essential is Strobe light, platter/disc markings?

I see Pioneer PL8 TT, which do not have above facilities. Hence want expert opinion from gurus. How is Pioneer PL 8 model? Any user experience? I think original model comes with

Thanks

Last edited:
Pitch control essential.

You can use strobe wheel to adjust speed even if TT does not have strobe markings on the platter edge or bottom. Strobe wheels can be downloaded from vinyl engine.com?-?engine Resources and Information. and printed to scale. Just stick it to a thick drawing paper, punch spindle hole and voil you have a strobe wheel as accurate as any factory made one.

There is also a smartphone app for checking the RPM of platter.

Usually DD TTs suffer from slight speed variations so they have pitch control.

Some beltdrives have them too. But normally found on DD TTs.

The stroboscope, platter markings and pitch control are part of speed adjustment system.

As I mentioned earlier platter speed can also be verified by a smartphone app.

So give it try.

There's more fun to be had with toying with new information and system.

Cheers

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back