PJ Virgin knocks the door for help

sujithkamath

Hello guys

I am currently having the following things. Need your help in setting up a projector. :sos::sos::sos:

1. A guest room (10' x 10') which i will have to fight with my wife for using it to setup a projector :rolleyes: :eek:hyeah:

2. A Philips DSP 65e which i had bought assuming i will use it to my 40" Sammy LED but turned out i dont have a Coaxial cable and no converter available. So stuck it to my STB. Planning to use it with the PJ

3. Rs.50k in hand; very tight on budget.:sad:

4. Immense desire to have a good PJ which will enable me watch HD movies over weekend mainly out of USB hard disk.

From the posts i saw most of the votes have gone to ACER H5370BD.... And i think i might go with it, still welcome any other suggestion for my budget :)

Questions:

1. Since i dont have any friend going to US to buy PJ for me, i will have to order it from amazon.com and ship it using their own service. I tried going till the end of their cart but could not find how much more i might need to pay.
Any idea?

Amazon Link

2. Any idea on what else do i need to buy alongwith the PJ. I dont think i will be using 3D much. But surely will buy compatible 3d glasses down the line(not immediately)..... HDMI cables? do i need them if i will be watching mostly from USB stick?

3. Read somewhere that i might need amplifiers. No idea about this. ????

4. I assumed blindly that i will use the Philips DSP 65e. But not sure if i can. Can i? please say yes:p

5. Not sure if i need to use ceiling mount as i am not planning to spend on buying a mount/getting artificial ceiling done.

6. Off white wall.... No screen required I guess. What say?

7. Do i need to do any kind of setups to the room? I am sure i can use good curtains and reduce ambient light. any other suggestions? if yes, any vendors in Bangalore?

I am in a very initial stage of deciding on the PJ. Any advice/suggestion will only help me in realizing my dream for a home theatre.:signthankspin:

1. Since i dont have any friend going to US to buy PJ for me, i will have to order it from amazon.com and ship it using their own service. I tried going till the end of their cart but could not find how much more i might need to pay.
Any idea?
acer 5370 bd currently selling for 480$ or so, you may have to spend 160$ more including shipping and customs. but these are 3rd party sellers not amazon itself so not shipping to india.i am also waiting for amazon itself to list 5370bd.

Amazon Link

2. Any idea on what else do i need to buy alongwith the PJ. I dont think i will be using 3D much. But surely will buy compatible 3d glasses down the line(not immediately)..... HDMI cables? do i need them if i will be watching mostly from USB stick?
many projectors wont play videos directly from the usb, so you will need good Bluray player or some media player and HDMI cable to play movies.

]no need of amplifier if your speekers have one inbuilt. [

4. I assumed blindly that i will use the Philips DSP 65e. But not sure if i can. Can i? please say yes
you can connect philips system to BD or media player

5. Not sure if i need to use ceiling mount as i am not planning to spend on buying a mount/getting artificial ceiling done.
ceiling mount will cost you around 1000 to 1200 inr.
though pic will look good on off white wall, white screen will lokk much better. you can paint wall or many other DIY options avail as discussed on this forum.

7. Do i need to do any kind of setups to the room? I am sure i can use good curtains and reduce ambient light. any other suggestions? if yes, any vendors in Bangalore?
you need to decide how audio and videophile you are, depending on that you can modify your dedicated room. otherwise good loght controll alone is sufficient.

I am in a very initial stage of deciding on the PJ. Any advice/suggestion will only help me in realizing my dream for a home theatre.
epson tw 550...price in pune 48.5 including taxex, good option including 3d.
had demo last week, found it good.

1. A guest room (10' x 10') which i will have to fight with my wife for using it to setup a projector :rolleyes: :eek:hyeah:
Sorry, cant help you to fight with your wife :eek:hyeah: . You need to handle this alone

2. A Philips DSP 65e which i had bought assuming i will use it to my 40" Sammy LED but turned out i dont have a Coaxial cable and no converter available. So stuck it to my STB. Planning to use it with the PJ
Does it have inbuilt amplifier and accept HDMI input? If yes, you are good, you can use it along with a media player like Asus o'play mini.

3. Rs.50k in hand; very tight on budget.:sad:
If this is only for PJ, you are in the brim for a basic 720P PJ. The best option is to go for Acer H5370BD or the latest one Acer H5380BD. This is not available in India and you will have to ship one through Amazon.com. My advice - dont rush - just wait for deals to come in amazon, when then ship one of these PJs for $399 - $429. You will get it shipped to your doorstep for around 35k including everything. But you need patience and should keep on checking deals in amazon.com on a daily basis.

4. Immense desire to have a good PJ which will enable me watch HD movies over weekend mainly out of USB hard disk.
That desire is something which brought you to this forum :)

Questions:

Any idea?

Amazon Link

You should be logged into Amazon to see the final amount. For me it was giving free shipping + $164.20 as import duties. Total is coming to $653.19. Again, you can save another 100$ if you can wait till there is a deal coming up, but may take months.

If your speaker has built in amp, and accepts HDMI input, you need to buy HDMI cable of enough length. Look for HDMI version which will support 3D as well. The PJ USB may not support all formats, and there is no multi channel audio out from PJ. So an external media player like Asus oplay mini or WD live is the best.

Yes, else you need to enjoy the 2W inbuild speakers of the PJ, which will kill your movie watching experience.

4. I assumed blindly that i will use the Philips DSP 65e. But not sure if i can. Can i? please say yes:p
Yes, if it has a built in amp and has an HDMI input.

Since your room is small, you will have to keep it to the rear wall to achieve a
decent throw distance. Better go for a ceiling mount or a wall mount which will help you. Decide once you procure the PJ. Cost will be less than 2k

For first few months, yes wall will do. Later you can buy or have a DIY screen
of your choice.
Depends on your room, and the room acoustics.
I am in a very initial stage of deciding on the PJ. Any advice/suggestion will only help me in realizing my dream for a home theatre.:signthankspin:
Wishes for a good home theater.

epson tw 550...price in pune 48.5 including taxex, good option including 3d.
had demo last week, found it good.

Tiger , where did u get the quote for epson tw550 for 48.5k can you pls share the dealer's address

Last edited:
Back