Planning to Buy a PS3 in singapore. Help me out...

balu_tigers

im in india. im planning to buy a PS3 from singapore. does region codes plays a role..... i will be watching blu-ray movies also in it.......

Yes. The PS3 from Singapore will be Region B for BDs. It will play Region B and region free (A/B/C) BDs only. Also it will not play DVDs that are region coded other than Region 2 or region free.

Note that PS3 cannot be modded to make it R-free (at least I have not heard of a mod). If you intend to watch movies only then a player will be a better and cheaper alternative.

Yes. The PS3 from Singapore will be Region B for BDs. It will play Region B and region free (A/B/C) BDs only. Also it will not play DVDs that are region coded other than Region 2 or region free.

Note that PS3 cannot be modded to make it R-free (at least I have not heard of a mod). If you intend to watch movies only then a player will be a better and cheaper alternative.

As far as I know, Singapore is Region "A" for Blu-Ray. Please check your facts. :)

Singapore Technical Information for Travelers - Voltage / Plug / Region - WPR

Blu-ray Disc - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Buying a 'Region A' blu-ray player makes the most sense. The reason for this is quite simple. The vast majority of blu-rays released in India are either Region A/B/C or Region A/C. There are very, very few blu-rays that are only 'Region C'. Whereas on the other hand due to the US being 'Region A' a lot of the libraries stock 'Region A' movies and also blu-rays purchased from the US, Singapore & Hong Kong are also mostly 'Region A' only or 'Region A/B/C'.

Buying a 'Region A' blu-ray player makes the most sense. The reason for this is quite simple. The vast majority of blu-rays released in India are either Region A/B/C or Region A/C. There are very, very few blu-rays that are only 'Region C'. Whereas on the other hand due to the US being 'Region A' a lot of the libraries stock 'Region A' movies and also blu-rays purchased from the US, Singapore & Hong Kong are also mostly 'Region A' only or 'Region A/B/C'.

I agree, something that I realized after purchasing PS3 from India with Region C lock.

I dont think buying products from Singapore will be considerably cheap than from India.
If the price is significantly less than go for it or else buy from India.

i bought a ps 3 from hongkong...and luckily its region A...i am quite happy with it..as most of the blu rays in USA are quite cheap compared to india....

actually my dad bought it..so dont kno the place but it costed arnd 16.5k...320gb with 2 games without move

No sweat, Get a PS3 from singapore.
Iam using it hassle free for the past few months.
Got it from singapore
FUNAN IT Mall 2 floor for appx 19K with move bundle after GST refund.
No customs in chennai, carried it in my hand luggage.

Anyways most of the BDs are region free as its still to pick market in India.
So i dont think it will be a problem with region code and stuff.

If you buy in India you are in the same soup of not being able to play any other region.

just get the PS3 if your priority use is gaming.

The Bluplayer on PS3 might go faster if you watch too many movies

And HOT NEWS : the latest update on PS3 comes with CINAVIA which blocks viewing of all pirated copies...

So a quick question.
Shall one buy a PS3 with move from USA or India?

I will be using it to play video games and watch DVD movies, not Blu Rays initially...

Will the PS3 drive be able to play all the DVDs?

Waiting for an early reply as I need to order it ASAP from US, if I have to

A US PS3 will play DVDs only of Region 1, whereas an Indian PS3 will play DVDs only of Region 5. Of course, region-free DVDs will play on either of the 2.

Make your decision based on your DVD collection.

snorkel4u,
if u purchase from us u need a transformer. it would be better to buy from india only ( the price diff is not worth purchasing from us ). I have purchased PS3 from sony world, koramangala bangalore. ( not the slim one, the initial release one). for gaming yah u will love it.

You do not need a transformer for playing a PS3 purchased from the US. The PS3 has a universal power supply built-in in all models round the world. All you need is the correct power cable and you are set.

Thanks for the inputs. Even I was of the impression that you just need the right cable, and it won't really matter where is your PS3 from, India or US.

Also, there's not a lot of savings if buying from US. But still 100 $ is decent money.

Also, a lame question at it, how do I find out the Region of my DVDs? Is it mentioned somewhere on the box? I will try and check the boxes tonight.

It is mentioned on each box. There is a picture of a globe with a number in the centre. That is the region code. If it is mentioned as "0", then that means that it is region-free, and will play on any PS3, whether Indian or US.

For more information on the different region codes in different countries, this link will help.

Please buy it from US.
There isnt much problem with region code on DVD and games yet.
And the difference is huge.
If you want a movie player then PS3 is definitely not what you should be buying.
Its basically a gamer with awesome added features which you will love owning.

Just get it from US, no issues what so ever. It will do its job.

Get a philips DVD player. Solves all your problem. still you save.

Last edited:
There isnt much problem with region code on DVD and games yet.

I beg to differ. DVD Region code IS a definite problem if you want the PS3 as a DVD player.

Agreed, games are region-free and will play on any PS3, but blu-ray and DVD playing is region-locked for the PS3, Region A/Region 1 for US PS3, and Region C/Region 5 for Indian PS3.

The problem will not arise much for blu-rays since "most" of the blu-rays sold in India are region-free. Many DVDs are region-free but you do get quite a few which are region-locked. That is why, my advice to snorkel4u was to make his decision based on "HIS" DVD collection. If he has all region-free DVDs, then he can purchase the PS3 from anywhere in the world.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back