Planning to Buy a TV LCD or CRT

prasathvishnu

Hi Friends..

I have planned to buy a new TV this month. Initially I had plan to buy a 32" LCD TV in the range of 30-35k. After reading few articles in net, I am thinking to go for 29" CRT for some of the below reasons I see in web.

1. All the cable channels are in 4:3 and LCD is of 16:9. Is that conversion looks good?
2. In India, there are no HD channels yet. The picture quality will not be best of LCD's capability, because of Cable TV format and non HD.
3. The best of LCD will be seen only when watching movies thru DVD as of now.
4. LCD has a -ve that it doesnt display True Black and not good in rendering fast motion images.

We will be using this TV mostly for watching Cable Channels and very occasionally watching movies thru DVDs.

Should I go for LCD or go for CRT until LCD technology gets stabilised? Please suggest me.

Hi Friends..

I have planned to buy a new TV this month. Initially I had plan to buy a 32" LCD TV in the range of 30-35k. After reading few articles in net, I am thinking to go for 29" CRT for some of the below reasons I see in web.

1. All the cable channels are in 4:3 and LCD is of 16:9. Is that conversion looks good?
2. In India, there are no HD channels yet. The picture quality will not be best of LCD's capability, because of Cable TV format and non HD.
3. The best of LCD will be seen only when watching movies thru DVD as of now.
4. LCD has a -ve that it doesnt display True Black and not good in rendering fast motion images.

We will be using this TV mostly for watching Cable Channels and very occasionally watching movies thru DVDs.

Should I go for LCD or go for CRT until LCD technology gets stabilised? Please suggest me.

If Ur viewing is more of SD den CRT wil be a better option,But LCD wil do a better job for HD videos and in terms for power consumption also its de winner:clapping:.And according to rumours if it is to believed dat HD transmission in india wil start from 2010 :eek:hyeah:den LCD would be a better option.

I think LCD technology is quite mature today and has reached it's peak of development. Whatever improvements are being made will be small increments. There will no new technology or research done on the basic panel as most manufacturers will be shifting to LED over the next few years. Some companies have actually shut down their LCD panel plants.

The choice between CRT and LCD/Plasma comes down to a few points:

1. Do you have the money?
2. Are you happy with watching a max of 29 inches?
3. Is your room large?
4. Are you interested in taking advantage of modern technology such as HDMI, 1080P, etc.

Cheers

Thanks for the reply Venkat.

Ready to spend around 30k for 32" LCD.

I am happy with 29".

3. Is your room large?

It is a mid range hall. Max Distance from which I will be watching will be 8 feet.

4. Are you interested in taking advantage of modern technology such as HDMI, 1080P, etc.

To be frank, I dont see me using this at least in the next one year. May be time would make me use all those.

Well, you have your answer. Go for a good 29inch CRT and be happy for the next one year.

Cheers

well i see no reason why u shouldn't go wit a lcd,u have the budget for a decent lcd like samsung B450A or the sony S550A(28k in ebay).

at 8 feet u can clearly make out that the picture is made of pixels on a 29" crt,i would suggest get a 32" lcd,todays tv have decent upscaling,after some time u get used to it.

adder... I din't get your point. Could u explain it?

at 8 feet u can clearly make out that the picture is made of pixels on a 29" crt,i would suggest get a 32" lcd,todays tv have decent upscaling,after some time u get used to it.

And.. In CompareIndia site and ebay, the price of the TV looks much cheaper than the showroom price. Can we rely on those?

I am sorry, but in CRTs there are no pixels whatsoever. The image is depicted using an electron beam that scans the screen 'n' number of times, using odd/even line numbers and a technology called interlacing. As far as displays go, a CRT is a analogue device.

Cheers

I am sorry, but in CRTs there are no pixels .

Cheers

In CRT some dots OR lines are visible from short distance.Not sure if they are called pixels,but they are made up os 3 primary colour lines.
Even CRT resolution is lower,so less detailed picture from short distance.

In short a good LCDtv will look better from short distance than 29in CRT.

I am sorry, but in CRTs there are no pixels whatsoever. The image is depicted using an electron beam that scans the screen 'n' number of times, using odd/even line numbers and a technology called interlacing. As far as displays go, a CRT is a analogue device.

Cheers

i know that,but the average joe wont know if u say electron beam and all that ,they wont understand ,so i said it as pixels which most understand,since people would have at sometime adjusted the resolution in a CRT monitor where they would have come across adjust resolution which is like 640x480pixel or 800x600pixels etc.

but anyway the dot pitch in a 28" crt is quite big.i have seen many people who bought their 29" crt they were so happy until they saw a side by side comparison with a smaller 21" CRT,which shows a more crisper image a HD or a FHD lcd will look even crisper .

Last edited:
CRT tv shows scanning lines of normal PAL signals. Moreover it also shows internal structure of picture tube (aperture grill). Also CRT tv flickers. All this results in eye strain and less detailed picture

However these are not the problems with higher end CRT tv like sony DRC-MF or TVs with 100hz. 100 hz still shows the scanning lines but it does not flicker. Sony DRC-MF uses field doubling technology where scanning lines are not visible giving dense and real pictures.

Since high end CRT tv are no more availabe it is better to go with LCD tv

CRT tv shows scanning lines of normal PAL signals. Moreover it also shows internal structure of picture tube (aperture grill). Also CRT tv flickers. All this results in eye strain and less detailed picture

However these are not the problems with higher end CRT tv like sony DRC-MF or TVs with 100hz. 100 hz still shows the scanning lines but it does not flicker. Sony DRC-MF uses field doubling technology where scanning lines are not visible giving dense and real pictures.

Since high end CRT tv are no more availabe it is better to go with LCD tv

well the 100hz tvs were good,but its no longer sold in india.also in case of some sony models with DRC MF some had the super fine pitch HD picture tube,but those were quite expensive comes in wide screen format used to cost 80k for a 29" tv vs about 40k for a normal DRC-MF tv.

Thanks for the reply Venkat.

Ready to spend around 30k for 32" LCD.

I am happy with 29".

3. Is your room large?

It is a mid range hall. Max Distance from which I will be watching will be 8 feet.

To be frank, I dont see me using this at least in the next one year. May be time would make me use all those.

Since your viewing distance is only 8' i would suggest a 21" slim CRT TV
There is a new model from Philips 21" Ultra SlimLine (21PT9469/94)
It looks sexy. As asthetically pleasing as a LCD.
It is has only 30cms depth. Normal LCDs are around 15 cm deep.
Since a CRT outplays an LCD anyday, for normal TV watching in 4:3 format,
this would be a great choice. Cost is 10K.
Maybe later in 2011 when TV channels switch to HD, you can buy an LCD
or OLED tv whichever is in vogue at that time.

Attachments

• 21PT9469_94-GAL-global.jpg
    21PT9469_94-GAL-global.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 54
Since your viewing distance is only 8' i would suggest a 21" slim CRT TV
There is a new model from Philips 21" Ultra SlimLine (21PT9469/94)
It looks sexy. As asthetically pleasing as a LCD.
It is has only 30cms depth. Normal LCDs are around 15 cm deep.
Since a CRT outplays an LCD anyday, for normal TV watching in 4:3 format,
this would be a great choice. Cost is 10K.
Maybe later in 2011 when TV channels switch to HD, you can buy an LCD
or OLED tv whichever is in vogue at that time.

Thanks for ur suggestion. But, for a viewing distance of 8 feet, do u suggest 21" TV is the recommended size?

What is the good size for a viewing distance of 8 feet.

For CRT - ?
For LCD - ?

Thanks for ur suggestion. But, for a viewing distance of 8 feet, do u suggest 21" TV is the recommended size?

What is the good size for a viewing distance of 8 feet.

For CRT - ?
For LCD - ?

For 8 feet if it is LCD then 32 " is perfect.
or if its CRT 21" is perfect. If you go for 29" CRT you will notice grains.

But it also depends on what size you are used to viewing.
If you are used to watching 29" CRT then downsizing to 21" CRT is not
a comfortable option.

Note: 21" CRT is equivalent to a 26" LCD in terms of viewable area.
LCD's are wide, and since sizes are measured diagonally it gives
an impression on paper, that they are bigger.

Last edited:
Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back