Planning to buy XBMC

rahulavachat

Hello Folks !

I am planning to buy a reasonably priced XBMC at Rs.7800 that is "MX III 4K ANDROID TV BOX-Android-2GB RAM/8GB ROM".

I already have following things connected to Denon AVR through HDMI in (4 ports)...
1. Samsung BD Player
2. TataSky HD
And have 2 HDMI in ports free as of now.
HDMI Out from AVR to Panasonic 42Plasma - no smart features.

Now I came across this XBMC / TV box which is reasonably priced as well as supports few audio formats (FLAC specifically) and which my Samsung BDP does not play from external HDD. I feel, media management, browsing through media and content sharing over WiFi would be easier if I have this Android TV Box "MX III 4K". Initially I was planning for Google Chromecast but it has lesser or no features related to apps and media gallery.

Few doubts in mind...
1. Is it a good TV box?
2. Will I be able to connect this to AVR without connecting it to TV directly
3. I plan to connect this to AVR's additional HDMI in, then HDMI out will go to TV
4. Still, will I be able to get all the features working of this TV Box

Eagerly waiting for your guidance and response.

Best Regards
Rahul

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestion z@m, I am going through Amazon Fire TV's specs, videos and reviews. It looks good. Thanks once again.

Regards
Rahul

If you have an old PC or laptop you can install Kodi on it, no need to buy an Android TV box just for it. You can even share the drive and stream the content all over home via wifi.

Or if you have a router with USB inputs and NAS/media sharing capability then simply attach an external HDD to it.

Windows HomeGroup sharing is actually much better, its more robust and easier to configure too.

Yes, you can attach Chromecast or similar USB dongle to the AVR.

BTW Amazon Fire TV/Stick is good in h/w but extremely limited in content or locked into the Amazon eco system. You will need Amazon Prime and also need to pay additionally for content (all serials and movies are not free to even Prime customers). Roku is a much better option for streaming content over the internet.

For local streaming... the better option is Windows HomeGroup + Chromecast to stream all your content in home. Its cheaper and more robust... I've never had any lag or on the fly transcoding that reduces the quality of the content.

Best is to buy Minix Neo X8-H player and flash openelec onto it. Then further sky is the limit to your joy of kodi experience.... It decodes DTS, plays almost all video formats....

If you are interested, will share with you the links to those openelec firmware for installation. Go with Amlogic based android tv box for best support. I am very soon planning to buy X8-H plus version which hardware. decodes HEVC!!!

through Amazon Fire TV's specs, videos and reviews. It looks good. Thanks once again.
AYlgpr

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back