Plasma dilemma

Arindam

I am setting up my new home, and naturally am high on ambition and somewhat short on budget (because I am buying a lot of things in one go).

I have been looking for a flat panel TV, plasma or LED, with the following requirements.

Size: at least 42", prefer 46".
Budget: 60k - 80k
Viewing: 45 hrs a week (Tata Sky DTH, DVD movies and concerts)
Existing TV: LG Flatron 29" XD series

The deal is that I fell in love with a Panasonic TH-P42V20. Loved the picture, and nothing quite compared. Price is pretty much at the lower end of my range, I am getting it for 61k with a three year warranty. Everything's fine, but for 45 hours of viewing, 350 W of rated power consumption is too high (convince me that it isn't and I'd love you). Wondering what alternhanatives do I have. Looks like Plasma is not for me.

There is a Sony 40" LED at just below 65k (40EX710?) and 46" possibly go much higher (around 90k).

Coming to LEDs, saw an LG 42LE5300 at around 60k. Not bad, but the picture was too bright but the colors were faded. I don't know if I don't like LED TVs in general, or it's something else.

Really short of options, would really appreciate some help, suggestions about other brands, etc.

Thanks,
Arindam

Hi Arindam,

350 W is the maximum power that the TV would consume. Once you calibrate the TV with optimal settings, the power consumptions drops.

Here are two reviews that give the power consumption in both the default and the calibrated mode

1) HDTV Test
2) Flat Panels HD

Regards,
Shray

Regd LED:

Its not that you din't like LEDs in general, I assume you din't like LG in general. Coming out of flatron world, I know you would have a hard look at LG brand, but they are not the leaders here and will fall short.

Regd V20:

Nothing quite compares!
If you dont have a window/door right opposite to the TV location, close your eyes and go for it.

Regd 300w:

Full white screen with every setting at 100 do take the wattage to 300w. Caliberated settings for day to day usage will be around 150-175w. Still greater than the LCDs, no doubt. If you are worried, you should avoid because it is a hard fact and there is nothing more to negotiate and no one can prove you otherwise. But you should be aware that you would not be saving much on electricity bills (if that is the concern). If you are a 'green' person, don't even think of it.

Regd decision:

Have a look at the LEDs from sony and samsungs. Your opinion might change. But in general it is going to be bright, sharp and thin. I would prefer LCDs for the value LEDs provide (or not provide).

My preference in the price range mentioned by you is the V20 surpassing all other by quite a margin.

Now lets assume one of the variables as standard. The picture quality. Assuming that you want a same level picture quality in any type of TV you buy for same size. That leaves us at a debate between LEDs and Plasma.

The LED of a same size TV with same picture quality is going to be substantially high. What additional electricity bill you pay will get levelled (probably) over several years. Its upto you to decide if you want to spend in one go or over period of time.

This is very broad view and not a debate between LED-Plasma-LCD.

Loved each of those answers - I am very new to this forum and this was my first post but I think you guys are really good at all things AV. Anyway, I gravitated towards panny thx-p42v20 long way back and it's not been quite the same looking at other TVs since. I did figure out that it will take me around 7 years before the electricity costs and the price of the panny combined exceed that of an LED TV (assuming 75k for the Sony LED).

My only grouse, there isn't a 46" in the V series. I fell in love with the 50" but at 98k after discount, that's too steep for me. I guess I'll settle down for the 42". I will perhaps have a few more things to ask / tell on this thread.

Btw, would it make sense to wait a couple of months for the prices on this model to drop?

Anyway, next destination is a budget HT.

Thanks a lot,
Arindam

@ Blasto, The TV would be placed at the west-end of a longish living room, and right next to it on the north-wall is a big window. Further down the hall, on the same side as the windows is an 8 foot broad door opening into the terrace. This will perhaps not disturb straight viewing angles so much but will definitely result in some glare for folks sitting further down the hall, or opposite the window. Let's see - I guess that's a small deal and I will have to get curtains that take care of the situation.

Saw the Sony LEDs, liked them. Really liked the 46EX520, but then that's almost 30k more. I wish I had that sort of moolah choice. The 40" version (40EX710?) is 50 Hz - why would I pay 65k for that. Samsung is costly too although with D Series coming, prices should come down. Like the Samsungs too.

Saw a Samsung 46" LCD at around 58. Reasonably good, but you know what, LEDs would possibly be available for that price a year down the line.

Thanks to you guys, I have made my choice. Panasonic p42v20 it is.

@ Blasto, The TV would be placed at the west-end of a longish living room, and right next to it on the north-wall is a big window. Further down the hall, on the same side as the windows is an 8 foot broad door opening into the terrace. This will perhaps not disturb straight viewing angles so much but will definitely result in some glare for folks sitting further down the hall, or opposite the window. Let's see - I guess that's a small deal and I will have to get curtains that take care of the situation.

Saw the Sony LEDs, liked them. Really liked the 46EX520, but then that's almost 30k more. I wish I had that sort of moolah choice. The 40" version (40EX710?) is 50 Hz - why would I pay 65k for that. Samsung is costly too although with D Series coming, prices should come down. Like the Samsungs too.

Saw a Samsung 46" LCD at around 58. Reasonably good, but you know what, LEDs would possibly be available for that price a year down the line.

Thanks to you guys, I have made my choice. Panasonic p42v20 it is.

i got myself a 50ud20 almost 2 months back for 64k in mumbai. someone on the forum recently got it for 61.5k so i would suggest why not check that one too.....
i got it from kohinoor electronics so why not check it out

what is the current price of 50v20 and 42v20 at bangalore panny brand show room?

thanks and regards,

Has there any plans of Panny introducing newer version of V20 during coming months in India? Any idea where does the plasma panel for Panny gets manufactured? Hope there were no classification of panels based on the country of manufacture like the one in case of Samsung LCD's.

hey why dont you wait for the 2011 samsung plasma models they all have motion judder control,3d,good blacks according to review and also they are not plagued by problems such as 50 hz bug,floating blacks 2011 pana models have floating whites it seems and black levels rise problems and also the samsung has extensive mediaplayer support via usb and a 51 inch(1 inch increase in 2011 models)samsung may cost a lot less compared to the panasonic one.Arindham i am in the same boat as you are check out my threat for full details http://www.hifivision.com/television/17150-what-tv-should-i-buy-confused-sad.html

What is the 50 Hz bug that gets talked about so frequently and how are you bitten by it - I mean under what circumstances does it show up? I am just trying to understand how severe is the issue and how likely in my regular viewing am I to come up against it.

@ jerry53, newer generation models always have inflated price tags and I don't plan to spend so much at this time. Also I have always thought that Samsung TVs are overpriced for the features they provide - compare that to Panasonic, which tend to come with big discounts on the MRP. For example the P42V20's MRP is in the 72k range. I'd prefer Sony over Samsung if I had to buy an LED, but having sampled several Sony, Samsung and Panasonic sets, I found the P42V20 PQ to be the best at various levels of calibration.

Even, so I'll need to understand the 50 Hz bug.

Panasonic VT20 Owners blur & pan shot issues - part 1 - AVForums.com

when you have a source in 50hz for example my sun direct outputs at 1920x1080i@50hz when there is a sudden pan scene you can see trails of images that aldready have passed into the next frame giving 2 similar images at the same instance on the screen .
AVForums.com - View Single Post - Panasonic VT20 Owners blur & pan shot issues - part 2
this image will give you a better idea but if want to watch 24p blu rays with excellent blacks and nothing other than that go for the v20 .you will get a great 3 year warranty with it.

Would you know what are the frequencies at which the standard DTH providers in India operate. I know from @jerry53 that Panasonic clearly has an issue with SunHD. But what about the others? Tata Sky+ HD and Airtel HD in particular because I will be using one of these two.

Thanks.

Bhuswal Try the 50V20 and the 42V20 rates in Reliance Digital - I got a good deal and with India wining the World Cup the deal got sweeter. But then that was destiny :clapping: Speak with Sathish in the TV section

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back