Plasma or LED - Full HD 3D TV ?

nchary

Hi,

I am planning to buy a 46+ full HD 3D TV for my new house in Hyderabad with a budget around 80K/90K. I have PS3 to hookup this future TV.

However, I am bit confused for going for Plasma or LED.

1) As I understand Plasma is declining technology and also it generate lot of heat as well consume more power, however PQ seems to be excellent. In contrast, LED backlit technology is latest one and it is going to be future.

2). Is there any good gray market in Hyderabad

3). Or there any dealers with bargains

As this is my big investment, hence extra careful, which choosing.

Thanks in Advance for

Hi,

I am planning to buy a 46+ full HD 3D TV for my new house in Hyderabad with a budget around 80K/90K. I have PS3 to hookup this future TV.

However, I am bit confused for going for Plasma or LED.

1) As I understand Plasma is declining technology and also it generate lot of heat as well consume more power, however PQ seems to be excellent. In contrast, LED backlit technology is latest one and it is going to be future.

2). Is there any good gray market in Hyderabad

3). Or there any dealers with bargains

As this is my big investment, hence extra careful, which choosing.

Thanks in Advance for

If 3D is important to you, I would suggest you first decide on whether you want passive or active 3D!!

well, if you are going the legit way, i think you have no 46in 3D LED options at the budget. Plasmas are the usual samsung 51d550 , pany 50v20,st30 etc; For 3D at least, I would recommend a "passive"..making only LG the candidate, which has variety of 47in LEDs to choose.(though may not fit in budget)

Given cost effectivness, I will go for passive (just like LG 3D Cinema googgles)

Is there a passive plasma tv??? I dont think there is.....so as per my knowledge that just leaves you with one choice - LED (which is AWESOME!)!!

Is there a passive plasma tv??? I dont think there is.....so as per my knowledge that just leaves you with one choice - LED (which is AWESOME!)!!

I am not knowledgeable on passive plasma TVs. Because, I have limitation on my budget and I was looking for cost effective solution.

Even active glass with plasma is fine for me.

I am not knowledgeable on passive plasma TVs. Because, I have limitation on my budget and I was looking for cost effective solution.

Even active glass with plasma is fine for me.

I think you have not demoed these technologies yet. I seriously suggest you first demo these technologies if 3D is an important part of the deal for you. If it isnt, then you should concentrate on getting a 2dtv only, as you would get a much better deal on a 2dtv. Again if you really are keen on a 3dtv, then please demo both the technologies, as it doesnt make sense to buy a 3dtv on which you would not be able to watch 3d for more than 10-20 seconds (as was the case with active 3d for me!)

Let me clarify........PLASMA is NOT a dead technology........there market for plasma is less compared to LED/LCD but definitely not declining.

plasma technology has the better picture quality in normal to low room lighting conditions. Plasma technology will almost without exception triumph during night time viewing. LCD televisions are great for sunroom/breakfast room type environments. While the "response time" of LCD TVs has markedly improved in the last couple of years, especially with the advent of 120/240Hz displays they still suffer from a motion blur effect, where the individual pixels are just slightly out of step with the image on the screen. The high refrash rate LCD televisions can also have some undesireable effects on the picture. During fast moving sports scenes, the most discerning eyes can detect this slight motion response lag. Plasma tvs are preferred by most videophiles and home theater enthusiasts and hence have a very specialized market. LCD/LED is generally preferred by the majority. But if you want inky black levels, accurate flesh tones, all for a good price......you cant beat a plasma!!!

Also, for 3D plasma is generally preferred over LED. Processing speed will be one of the battlegrounds between these competing technologies. Refresh rates in LCD and LED TVs have been increasing lately to 120Hz and 240Hz specifications. Plasma TVs have never really had to compete in this area as processing speed has not been a problem. Some plasma TV manufacturers nevertheless list a processing speed as 600Hz sub field drive to give the potential purchaser an indication of what an applicable processing speed might be compared to and LCD or LED TV. This difference gives plasma 3D technology a distinct advantage.

Let me clarify........PLASMA is NOT a dead technology........there market for plasma is less compared to LED/LCD but definitely not declining.

plasma technology has the better picture quality in normal to low room lighting conditions. Plasma technology will almost without exception triumph during night time viewing. LCD televisions are great for sunroom/breakfast room type environments. While the "response time" of LCD TVs has markedly improved in the last couple of years, especially with the advent of 120/240Hz displays they still suffer from a motion blur effect, where the individual pixels are just slightly out of step with the image on the screen. The high refrash rate LCD televisions can also have some undesireable effects on the picture. During fast moving sports scenes, the most discerning eyes can detect this slight motion response lag. Plasma tvs are preferred by most videophiles and home theater enthusiasts and hence have a very specialized market. LCD/LED is generally preferred by the majority. But if you want inky black levels, accurate flesh tones, all for a good price......you cant beat a plasma!!!

Also, for 3D plasma is generally preferred over LED. Processing speed will be one of the battlegrounds between these competing technologies. Refresh rates in LCD and LED TVs have been increasing lately to 120Hz and 240Hz specifications. Plasma TVs have never really had to compete in this area as processing speed has not been a problem. Some plasma TV manufacturers nevertheless list a processing speed as 600Hz sub field drive to give the potential purchaser an indication of what an applicable processing speed might be compared to and LCD or LED TV. This difference gives plasma 3D technology a distinct advantage.

And that is why i chose a Plasma (51D550) :).

plasma technology has the better picture quality in normal to low room lighting conditions. Plasma technology will almost without exception triumph during night time viewing.

Plasma tvs are preferred by most videophiles and home theater enthusiasts and hence have a very specialized market. LCD/LED is generally preferred by the majority. But if you want inky black levels, accurate flesh tones, all for a good price......you cant beat a plasma!!!

Also, for 3D plasma is generally preferred over LED.

BANG ON!! Sums-up pretty much everything i had in mind for a post which i was about to post b4 seeing your response! :)

out of personal experience:- led add lots of zing to the picture and lures you esp. in content like music videos(if you knw wat i mean :p) and movies. Watch any match being played on LED and Plasma simulatneously playing same channel, you will knw what we mean by flesh tones and even grass color will be so natural.

Even in plasma, only PANASONIC was realistic. Samsung and LG were gross. Atleast i dint like them. As per the salesman, rightnow only Panny has the capability to build plasma panels and they definiely seem to have mastered the art. Only choice for me was PANASONIC PLASMA at any size.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back