Plasma TV, any issues with DTH logo image retention?

mightymedico

I am contemplating to purchase Panasonic 50 series plasma in a week. Would be great if any of you who have been using 30 series plasma for long could give their inputs regarding

1. How serious is image retention problem if I plan to use it for like 6 hrs a day?

2. Any IR with the DTH logo or news channel scroll bars which are pretty much there on screen even if you change the channel?

3. Do you suggest using this TV to connect to a console (4 hours of play per day)?

I will Thank you for your help.:eek:hyeah:

I am contemplating to purchase Panasonic 50 series plasma in a week. Would be great if any of you who have been using 30 series plasma for long could give their inputs regarding
IR can be a problem if the same channel is watched for extended periods (say 2+ hours). Please search the internet of image retention and there will be thousands of posts telling how to avoid IR.

1. How serious is image retention problem if I plan to use it for like 6 hrs a day?
IR is not always problem, per se. I am using my plasma TV for almost the same time these days - what with Olympics and my movie collection and all that. Initial euphoria, I suppose. I have not faced IR problem.

2. Any IR with the DTH logo or news channel scroll bars which are pretty much there on screen even if you change the channel?
One member here accidentally left his TV and STB on for the whole night. This caused the DTH logo to be etched on the screen. But there are methods to get rid of IR. IR is temporary. But you have to be careful all the same. Not ultra careful but not fool hardy either. It is like protecting yourself from unknown source of drinking water.

3. Do you suggest using this TV to connect to a console (4 hours of play per day)?
Games have permanent info bars that are more or less static. Best to avoid games during first 200 hours.

Straight from the horses mouth.
Q8. I've heard that plasma TVs can develop image retention over time. What is image retention exactly, and is it a concern?

Answer:

image retention, which is an uneven aging of the phosphors in a display device, can occur on any display that uses phosphors to generate an image, including tube TVs, projection TVs that use CRTs, and plasma TVs.
Such uneven aging happens when bright, static images are left onscreen for an extended period of time, which can leave a permanent "shadow" that is always visible.
It often occurs because the contrast and brightness settings on the TV are too high. In addition, screen savers, and brightness level adjustments can dramatically reduce any chance of image retention. Use common sense when it comes to your plasma TV; don't pause video games or watch TV stations with station logos onscreen for long periods of time, and use one of the many display calibration DVDs available today for properly setting brightness and contrast.

Q12. What can I do to prevent Uneven aging (image retention) when viewing cable or satellite music channels, or channels with stationary logos?

Answer:

Plasma televisions are shipped from the factory with the contrast control at a high setting to provide a bright picture under typical dealer's showroom lighting conditions. In your home, the room light levels are usually one half or less than that in retailer's showroom.
Therefore, when the plasma is initially installed, it is best to do the following:

Make sure the display is in a viewing mode (aspect ratio) that completely fills the screen. The panel is shipped in this condition, in what is called the "Just" mode.
Turn down the Picture control (contrast level) to 50%(center) or less.
Briefly engage the 4:3 mode and confirm the side bars are set to "Mid", or "Bright". This can be adjusted in the Set Up menu.
Always return the display mode that fills the screen (such as Just, Zoom, Full, H-FILL or 4:3 Full).
Note:
For models with "H-FILL" or "4:3 Full " mode, please see "Q5. What does the Aspect button control?" for further information.
Avoid any static images (video games, computer images, DVD title screens, etc.) during the first one hundred hours.

VIERA Global FAQs | TV | Digital AV | Consumer Products | Support | Panasonic Global

Thanks guys. I have read a lot about IR prior to making this thread. But things are much clearer now, especially after knowing somebody left his TV on for a complete night and still no permanent damage to screen. Now after buying Panny plasma, I gotta instruct my granny not to leave the TV on for the entire night.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back