Plasma TV

phaedrus

Looking to buy a new TV in the screensize range of 42 - 50 ", in Mumbai. Details below -

• Viewing distance is 8 - 12 feet
  • Max price range 1-1.5 lakh
  • Usage is movies/DVDs and DTH/TV (TS) - so largely SD. But looking to move to HD
  • Lighting in the room can be controlled
  • Use a Denon S301 piece

We have been looking at panasonic's 42G10 and 50V10 - key concern is SD-related pixellation, dont want to buy and worry about crappy picture quality, until HD related content comes in or the DTH folks decide to improve their PQ.

Need inputs on these two models and if we should be looking at any alternatives ?

Last edited:
There have been quite a few discussions in this forum related to the bad SD quality of the G10 and V10. From a 3-4 feet distance i have personally seen the SD content on the V10. It is really bad. A good distance can make up some of the ill effects though

But as mentioned several times by several folks don't expect the SD perf that your normal CRT would give you on today's HDTVs. It takes a bit of getting used to.
DVDs will however look good if you can feed in progressive signals frm your player.
If you are looking at slightly better SD peformance then you can try the Sammy 46 B750 the better of the LCD lot for 1.07 to1.15k.
For your budget i dont think there any worthy alternatives than these
If SD is not an issue i would also suggest reading the pros and cons of each technology before jumping in.

Hi,

The G10 is getting some very good reviews. Though it is Full HD TV the SD content like DTH looks good on it. Please follow the thread......

http://www.hifivision.com/television/4525-new-plasma-panasonic-viera-p42g10-launched-india.html

cheers,
sri

Thanks, did see the thread earlier.

While we are likely to try it out at the brand shop, wanted to get views regarding the pain factor due to SD quality of these TVs.

For our requirements, the two options are fine or should we be looking at any other pieces ?

Phaed

There have been quite a few discussions in this forum related to the bad SD quality of the G10 and V10. From a 3-4 feet distance i have personally seen the SD content on the V10. It is really bad. A good distance can make up some of the ill effects though

But as mentioned several times by several folks don't expect the SD perf that your normal CRT would give you on today's HDTVs. It takes a bit of getting used to.
DVDs will however look good if you can feed in progressive signals frm your player.
If you are looking at slightly better SD peformance then you can try the Sammy 46 B750 the better of the LCD lot for 1.07 to1.15k.
For your budget i dont think there any worthy alternatives than these
If SD is not an issue i would also suggest reading the pros and cons of each technology before jumping in.

Thanks - meant upto 1/1.5 lakh. The denon does do upscaling to some extent - so DVD shouldn't be an issue, but DTH was a concern.

Phaed

Getting G10 for around 65K and V10 for around 1.4 K - are these fair prices ?

I think you meant 1.4L instead.. ;)

If you want better SD quality + Better Colour Rendition + Equalent Black levels and 1080p, I recommend Samsung PS50B550. It is a 50" 1080p TV and costs 75k last I enquired. It is not mentioned as available in the samsung website, But it is available in india through dealers and samsung showroom.

Here is the review of PS50B550 (PN50B550 in the US)..
Samsung Plasma Review - PN50B550 at Plasma TV Buying Guide

Here is comparison between higher end samsung and panasonic in general.
http://reviews.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/plasmatvreviews/panasonic-th50pz85u-vs-samsung-pn50a650.html

Last edited:
Getting G10 for around 65K and V10 for around 1.4 K - are these fair prices ?

The V10 should be available i guess for much lesser. The last time i enquired her at Modern World the price was around 127500. In Hyderabad there is dealer who could come down to 125k.
The G10 prices i am afraid have gone up recently. Not sure of the lowest price .

It's not available anywhere. My friend in Bangalore has been looking. He even paid an advance to E-zone and they reported back after 2 weeks saying Samsung has no stock and has discontinued it.

If you want better SD quality + Better Colour Rendition + Equalent Black levels and 1080p, I recommend Samsung PS50B550. It is a 50" 1080p TV and costs 75k last I enquired. It is not mentioned as available in the samsung website, But it is available in india through dealers and samsung showroom.

Samsung PN50A650 vs. Panasonic TH-50PZ85U Plasma HDTV Review

It's not available anywhere. My friend in Bangalore has been looking. He even paid an advance to E-zone and they reported back after 2 weeks saying Samsung has no stock and has discontinued it.

Oh.. Thats so bad..
I think LED TVs are getting into samsung's head..
My enquiry was quite sometime back.

Samsung PN50A650 vs. Panasonic TH-50PZ85U Plasma HDTV Review

Guilty as charged meant 1.4L - thanks for the input....the comparison might be skewed due to the models, but will keep an eye out

The V10 should be available i guess for much lesser. The last time i enquired her at Modern World the price was around 127500. In Hyderabad there is dealer who could come down to 125k.
The G10 prices i am afraid have gone up recently. Not sure of the lowest price .

Sounds about right - but V10 is landing in mumbai only in another 10 days -brand shop is sticking to around 1.35L

G10 probably 64K with some DVDs thrown..etc

Back