Playing Dolby Vision, HDR content on windows 10 with TV as monitor

sim_tcr

My TV is hisense a71f 55inch and as per Specs it is, 4K UHD (3840 x 2160p), Dolby Vision and HDR.
I connect the TV via HDMI to Windows 10 PC (GTX 1660 Super GPU) and in Windows Display settings I can see HDR Is enabled.

Now I want to play some Dolby Vision and HDR content on VLC.
Will it be playing as Dolby Vision and HDR?

When playing these content directly on TV (Only HDR I could test), TV does recognize it as HDR.

I just figured that, you can play HDR and Dolby vision downloaded files on tv only when you play it directly on tv.

Also only kodi app could play and detect HDR and Dolby Vision.

Vlc app on tv detects only HDR. When Dolby vision played there it does not detect it as Dolby vision and Color is distorted.

I have some photos, file size too large to attach,

How is the TV as I also want to purchase a TV for my PC monitor and want to watch 4k HDR movies from my PC on the TV
So far I liked the TV.

HDR enabled content - You get either via OTT platforms such as Prime, Netflix or movies downloaded from blu ray (only if HDR enabled content)
If playing OTT content, you would play directly on TV and TV detects it as HDR.
If playing downloaded blu ray, then you still have to play it directly on TV (not TV as monitor), you can play via USB, NAS etc. Also use Kodi player.

Dolby Vision enabled content - You get via OTT platforms such as Netflix. So far I could not get any blu ray movies which is Dolby Vision enabled, only some sample dolby vision content from dolby website.
Here also you have to play directly on TV like above.

You really cannot use TV as monitor and play HDR and Dolby Vision content. Window 10 detects the TV as monitor with HDR enabled. But if you play on Windows 10 it wouldn't be HDR enabled (this is my understanding.)

So far I liked the TV.

HDR enabled content - You get either via OTT platforms such as Prime, Netflix or movies downloaded from blu ray (only if HDR enabled content)
If playing OTT content, you would play directly on TV and TV detects it as HDR.
If playing downloaded blu ray, then you still have to play it directly on TV (not TV as monitor), you can play via USB, NAS etc. Also use Kodi player.

Dolby Vision enabled content - You get via OTT platforms such as Netflix. So far I could not get any blu ray movies which is Dolby Vision enabled, only some sample dolby vision content from dolby website.
Here also you have to play directly on TV like above.

You really cannot use TV as monitor and play HDR and Dolby Vision content. Window 10 detects the TV as monitor with HDR enabled. But if you play on Windows 10 it wouldn't be HDR enabled (this is my understanding.)
thanks for your help

I connect the TV via HDMI to Windows 10 PC (GTX 1660 Super GPU) and in Windows Display settings I can see HDR Is enabled.
From what I've heard, you can't passthrough DV from a PC. It has to be directly played on TV.

Have you considered using Plex or similar alternative for playing the DV files on your TV?

From what I've heard, you can't passthrough DV from a PC. It has to be directly played on TV.

Have you considered using Plex or similar alternative for playing the DV files on your TV?
Yes, that's what I learned too.
I use Kodi to play files on TV.

What works for me to play Dolby Vision files is to use Plex though my Firestick 4K. It plays DV movies no problem once properly configured to YCrCb 4:4:4. I have an LG OLED C1.

My TV is hisense a71f 55inch and as per Specs it is, 4K UHD (3840 x 2160p), Dolby Vision and HDR.

When playing these content directly on TV (Only HDR I could test), TV does recognize it as HDR.
I've been using this way since 14 years. Currently hooked up my Asus Laptop with a RTX3060 to my MI QLED 75. It supports 4k@ 60hz and HDR to. Windows currently doesn't support Dolby Vision as per my knowledge.

I use my TV as a monitor and can play HDR files. You need a player that supports HDR. I don't know if VLC supports HDR, I use MPC-HC or JRiver, both work with HDR.

I use my TV as a monitor and can play HDR files. You need a player that supports HDR. I don't know if VLC supports HDR, I use MPC-HC or JRiver, both work with HDR.

Hello, can you pass dolby vision content from windows to tv? Which platform or app are you using? I've been doing some tests on windows 10 connected to tcl 4k tv via hdmi with both apple tv app and local mp4 file, windows can pass atmos/5.1 audio ok but cant pass dolby vision to tv.

Hello, can you pass dolby vision content from windows to tv? Which platform or app are you using? I've been doing some tests on windows 10 connected to tcl 4k tv via hdmi with both apple tv app and local mp4 file, windows can pass atmos/5.1 audio ok but cant pass dolby vision to tv.

I have a Samsung TV, it doesn't support Dolby HDR, just regular one. I use various files, no app/platform if you mean OTT. You can check if TCL supports it, also there may be some setup required in Windows for this but I doubt it. There are Dolby files available so I am sure people use them. I haven't done too much testing since I am not interested in HDR. I find HDR to be a gimmick and generally inferior to SDR.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back