Playing Mp3 or stereo on a 5.1 channel home theater

akshatgarg

Hi Guys,

I am planing to buy a home theater and was wondering whether the stereo audio or mp3 audio will work fine on the 5.1 system.

I guess the surround speakers would go inactive. The volume would have to be cranked up to have some decent listening level from the front speakers only.
Will that over stress the front speakers and cause any reliability issues ??

I was looking at POLK TL1600, BA XS 5.1, pioneer sp-pk22bs.

My usage will be 80% music and 20 % movies.

Thanks and Regards,
Akshat

If your 80% usage is listening music, then prefer a stereo amplifier rather than an AVR. You may think that listening MP3s in 5.1 will feel you more magic or better, but its not the truth. With time, you will end up listening it with stereo mode. Because MUSIC is made to for STEREO mode and MOVIES for surround. And you will get better quality sound from stereo amp than sound from AVR. If you have decided to buy an AVR, then you may take auditions or read reviews to have a knowledge, which speaker packages suit / pair well with which AVR.

I will also second Promod's opinion. Since your maximum requirement (80%) is music, go for a dedicated stereo amp and a pair of FL. A good Fl will reduce the need of a subwoofer when you are watching movies/ TV.

And as a source, you can connect an existing player (DVD/CD) and later can opt for a dedicated CDP or DAC depending on your requirement.

I also use the stereo mode (2.1) in avr while listening to music and only use 5.1 for movies. And I have a plan of a dedicated stereo setup exclusively for music in future. Only budget is the problem. :(

Hi Guys,

Thanks a lot for the suggestions.
I am planning to use the andrew jones Floor standing speaker with a receiver.

1) do I need a sub woofer?
2) can you please recommend a good stereo receiver. I am going to US next month and can get it even its not available in India.

Now, Can you also tell me a 5.1 AV receiver which might be good for 2.0 output. Maybe I can use it with the AJ floor standing speaker and can slowly get all other speakers and build a HT for both music and movies.

Appreciate your help guys!

Regards,
Akshat

If you can carry it from the US, the Cambridge Azur 551R or 651R is the AVR to get if you are going on the AVR route

They sound much better than most mainstream AVRs like Pioneer or Denon (and they are more expensive too)

Although stereo amps are recommended by most FMs, I think they are impractical if you are building only 1 system. It is very difficult to connect multiple sources like dvd players, htpc/media players, DTH , Xbox/PS3 - which can be easily done via HDMI and AVRs

But (and this is a BIG but) voltage system in the US is 110V. So you would have to drive the AVR through a beefy transformer. And US warranty wouldn't work either

Hi Grunthos,

Well a 1000$ system is way beyond the budget. I want something less than 400$

Any suggestions in that range.
Regards,
Akshat

Buying from US is good Option\better option for low voltage amplifiers or other source or speakers only since US have 110v Standard.You need to add a stepdown transformer in India to run the amplifier.

So check for the amplifiers which could be switchable between 110v and 220v .But again Warranty is not going to be useful in case you bringing back to India.

I would personally recommend pre-owned gear from US (with Voltage switching option) and running condition, so you no need to spend whole money on the new amp.Else get amplifier in India since numerous of stores available for auditioning .

Pioneer should be the best for entry level speakers. Marantz\Nad\CA should go well.

Buy in India (Its festival season and Hifi mart is offering discounts for new year)+cover the warranty and enjoy the music.

Getting an AVR from US is a good option if you have factored the inputs provided by other members...

I know a FM recently got a Pioneer VSX 1123 + a 1000 Watts Step-down for $250 :eek:hyeah: ...

In an other thread, another FM said he got Yamaha R V 675 AVR for $250 :eek:hyeah:

You can't pick any of these models in India less than 50K for sure.....All these happens only in US, bcoz the market is very competitive there....

One suggestion that i would tell you is, never pick the current model AVR.... Try to scout for last year models as you might get very good discounts like the example above....

One more if you would like, increase your budget to $600 & get some real midrange AVR's (you are not going to change AVR's very often) :eek:hyeah:

You can any day add/change speakers here in india....

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back