Please help me setup Roku ultra 2019

Colors6

Just bought a Roku ultra 2019 model.

Will be using it with my TCL 55” 4K tv. I bought a roku streaming box because my tv inbuilt android box is a little iffy when it comes to playing high bitrate 4K HDR files. So, I thought of getting Roku ultra to stream from my synology NAS.

i debated between this and Nvidia shield. I ultimately chose this because it was within my budget and I’m not a gamer so I don’t need the gaming features of nvidia shield.

i hope I didn’t make a wrong decision. Will receive the unit in 10 days.

Never used Roku before.

Can someone help me set it up? I also have Surfshark vpn if that helps/hurts. Will vpn slow speed make that option not practical anyway?

I am assuming I have to create a Roku account first? obviously it won’t take India region, so what should I choose?

any tips/suggestions are most welcome.

Last edited:
It should work without any issues for apps that work in India (netflix etc). I had a Roku earlier which worked fine.

I’m having second thoughts about getting this or the Apple TV 4K.

the Apple TV 4K is just ₹2000 more expensive because of the insane duty structure in India.

Shoukd I just spend ₹2000 more and get apple TV 4K or is the Roku ultra a better device?

@sandeeprawat @Neeraj0272

the Apple TV 4K is just ₹2000 more expensive because of the insane duty structure in India.

Shoukd I just spend ₹2000 more and get apple TV 4K or is the Roku ultra a better device?

Purpose of both the devices are same but if your family has iPhone/iPad, go for Apple TV else either should be fine. I have both but remote wise, I find Roku to be more convenient.

Purpose of both the devices are same but if your family has iPhone/iPad, go for Apple TV else either should be fine.
I have an iPad.
I intend to stream 4K files from my synology NAS using plex.

any idea which of the two devices is better at 4K streaming?

May be it's just me but I hated Apple Remote. It's a touch pad and I found it to be not very accurate.

I probably am not the right person to recommend one over other even though I used both of them for very long time but I was only watching netflix/amazon prime on them and sometimes played games on Apple TV via remote (which is good for casual gaming)

May be it's just me but I hated Apple Remote. It's a touch pad and I found it to be not very accurate.

I probably am not the right person to recommend one over other even though I used both of them for very long time but I was only watching netflix/amazon prime on them and sometimes played games on Apple TV via remote (which is good for casual gaming)

any idea about which would have a better plex 4k streaming performance?

I have an iPad.
I intend to stream 4K files from my synology NAS using plex.

any idea which of the two devices is better at 4K streaming?
Though I haven’t compared but Apple’s tech has always been superior to others. Make sure though it will let you access content from Plex.

Though I haven’t compared but Apple’s tech has always been superior to others. Make sure though it will let you access content from Plex.

im leaning towards Apple TV now that I’ve thought about it. Would have stuck to roku ultra if it was priced more reasonably here in India.

any idea about which would have a better plex 4k streaming performance?
imo both should be fine. If at all bottleneck would be NAS.

Within apple ecosystem, all things work very well and seamlessly but not easy to do other stuff like usb, random apps etc.
Roku doesn't have Dolby vision I think but does have a headphone jack.

My personal preference would be some android box though as I prefer to freeload stuff and wouldn't spend money on anything that doesn't let me install kodi on it.

imo both should be fine. If at all bottleneck would be NAS.

Within apple ecosystem, all things work very well and seamlessly but not easy to do other stuff like usb, random apps etc.
Roku doesn't have Dolby vision I think but does have a headphone jack.

My personal preference would be some android box though as I prefer to freeload stuff and wouldn't spend money on anything that doesn't let me install kodi on it.
For Kodi , I have my existing android tv box to free load stuff.

i have a lifetime plex pass, so I am biased towards it.
I was trying to play a 70gb 4K HDR movie on my plex client on my android tv box and it was buffering.

VLC was able to play it without stuttering so I know that my NAS was not the bottleneck. the NAS is ds218 synology and has gigabit Ethernet.

the plex client is sluggish on my existing tcl 55p8 android tv box.

i looked at fire stick 4K but it doesn’t have a Ethernet port so it may choke streaming 75gb 4K flies.

the poor plex experience is the reason I’m looking at streaming boxes.

For Kodi , I have my existing android tv box to free load stuff.

i have a lifetime plex pass, so I am biased towards it.
I was trying to play a 70gb 4K HDR movie on my plex client on my android tv box and it was buffering.

VLC was able to play it without stuttering so I know that my NAS was not the bottleneck. the NAS is ds218 synology and has gigabit Ethernet.

the plex client is sluggish on my existing tcl 55p8 android tv box.

i looked at fire stick 4K but it doesn’t have a Ethernet port so it may choke streaming 75gb 4K flies.

the poor plex experience is the reason I’m looking at streaming boxes.
Apple TV is the clear winner for you imo pure spec wise. Except that its Remote sucks :p

Can't say for sure but it should perform better than Roku I believe.
I know that Apple tv 4k has gigabit ethernet. So, does Roku I think.

I guess Apple tv will have better processor. I think Apple tv 4k seems like the way to go for me for plex experience.

I'll sit on it for a day and then decide whether to buy Apple tv or get Roku.

In an ideal world I would get nvidia shield but that's above my budget.

Why not considering Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2019. Decodes all atmos & dts formats including core dts. Supports DV with HDR. No issues playing flicks from your HDD/USB. ATV4K is a great device but definitely has limitations in terms of freedom to use.

Why not considering Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2019. Decodes all atmos & dts formats including core dts. Supports DV with HDR. No issues playing flicks from your HDD/USB. ATV4K is a great device but definitely has limitations in terms of freedom to use.
That’s way above my budget.

i am delaying my purchase.

will wait until september for the next Apple TV upgrade and buy that.

unless google officially releases nvidia shield in India lowering the absurd taxes. That is not going to happen.

I will probably end up buying the next upgrade of Apple TV.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back