Please help me to get better clarity in my audio.

chaitanyaht3

Please help me guys, I'm using laptop or Airtel DTH hd as my source. Sound quality is ok but not great.
The mids, and bass is ok, but treble sounds are not punchy. Also the clarity is not upto the mark.

I'm wondering should I go for a blue ray player, or a htpc with Asus xonar? Will it improve sound quality and clarity ??

Whether we use a "laptop" or a "blue ray player" connected to my AVR, in both cases, only my AVR "internal dac" itself is working.*

In that case, How there will be the difference in audio quality ??? Does the blue ray player sound better than laptop with foober???*

If so, what should I check in specs of any media player, to know how good the sound quality will be ??*

(I'm using yamaha yht196 AVR with Yamaha floorstanders as fronts)
Thanks in advance...

Hi

Yamaha YHT 196 is an entry level AVR and speakers manufactured by Yamaha is basic....

If you have already tweaked to the core the avr...not sure if you can get more better delivery...

suggest you post this in the Yamaha Owners thread...I am sure some answers will come

If it is not the case, Keep under the "Settings" of your source as "RAW/Bitstream" and allow the AVR to decode the audio. Your AVR might be getting a decoded audio (PCM) from the source for example DTH.

efernand1, pranjandas,

I was using yamaha avr and I read many threads in this forum, but didnt go through yamaha avr thread !!! I fell stupid. Thanks a lot for directing me there !!!!

I checked that my source laptop is sending PCM. I will try to figureout how to get RWA/BITSTREAM.

And my Airtel dtg HD is sending dolby digital signal in the settop box settings. But my avr still shows PCM is the source it is getting. However, I will focus on this point, and study further. Thanks a lot both of you !!!

efernand1, pranjandas,

I checked that my source laptop is sending PCM. I will try to figureout how to get RWA/BITSTREAM.

For Example, Media Player Classic Home Cinema: View>>Options>>Audio Renderer>>Device (Select your Audio Hardware)>> Tick Exclusive Mode & Allow Bitstreaming

chaitanyaht3; And my Airtel dtg HD is sending dolby digital signal in the settop box settings. But my avr still shows PCM is the source it is getting. However said:
Not all HD Channels are true DD, the pics are just upscales and the audio is just PCM. Yet they claim they are broadcasting "HD Channels". Try with a true HD channel, no reason why the AVR should not show DD in its display. I have used YHT 299 for years.

Pranjandas,

Thanks a lot !!! Il check with your suggestions.

Everything is fine except the trebles are not sharp. For example, glass shattering in action movies, or guitar and bell kind of sounds in music,etc.

Secondly, as long as my avr internal dac is working & pcm is source signal, the player doesnt matter, whether it is a laptop, or blueray player, or a htpc, etc.

This may work in case of raw bitstream, but not with pcm. (Please correct me if im wrong...)

Does the audio quality improve if i use a blueray player or a htpc?? (Compared to my laptop or airtel dth) if the signal is raw bitstream ?

Pranjandas,

Secondly, as long as my avr internal dac is working & pcm is source signal, the player doesnt matter, whether it is a laptop, or blueray player, or a htpc, etc.

This may work in case of raw bitstream, but not with pcm. (Please correct me if im wrong...)

Does the audio quality improve if i use a blueray player or a htpc?? (Compared to my laptop or airtel dth) if the signal is raw bitstream ?

As per my understanding, as long as your AVR internal DAC is working & PCM is source signal, the player DOES matter, whether it is a laptop, or blueray player, or a htpc, etc. PCM is the already decoded sound, AVR only amplifies it and sends to various speakers. Then it matters HOW the source signal is decoded by the laptop, BD Player or a HTPC and sent to the speakers via the AVR. If the player is capable enough to decode the HD audio, no matter you keep the settings as "Raw/Bitstream" the audio will be decoded in its true form, if the player is not capable enough, it will down sample the audio and in the process you may lose some of the audio details of the source signal.

You have to check the decoding capabilities of your AVR, Bluray Player/HTPC.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back