please help to find a media player for my avr.

chaitanyaht3

Hello All,

Can you suggest a media player that can play Lossless/Flac songs, and HD movies (blueray rips) please???

I want to connect it to my yamaha AVR. Budget around 6 to 10k.

There is lot of data in this forum, I read as much as I can, but could not come to a conclusion guys, that's why I am asking separately.

Regards
Chaitanya

thank you very much DrRocket...
I am unable to take a stand whether to go for a HTPC with Asus Xonar sound card or media player like Q5 or Q10 etc.

I don't have any issue with video. A normal HD quality that comes from airtel dth etc is fine. 4K, UHD etc are not needed though...

I am more focused on crystal clear audio in movies, and lossless/FLAC music files.
Can these media layers do a decent job in audio?? Or should I go for a htpc with a good sound card?

Thank you once again !!!

Media player will bitstream to AVR which will convert audio to analog. So quality of DAC in AVR will matter only for audio quality. Media player won't have much role in it. I am using PC for playback but AVR does audio decoding and digital to analog conversion.

Can these media layers do a decent job in audio?? Or should I go for a htpc with a good sound card?

QUOTE]

I am using Asus media player for almost 2 years. Mostly play content using Pen drive. Connected to receiver via Optical. As far as sound quality is concern, I am very much satisfied. Himedia Q series has got great reviews so you shall give it a try.

I noticed something peculiar ....
I play music through my laptop using foober or vlc player.

Surprisingly, and very rarely it happens,.... some songs played in airtel dth hd channel, sound better than my laptop with foober. (same yamaha avr used in both cases)

I play good quality flac files only though....I am guessing the inbuilt player in my HP laptop is just ok, but not so great...

This is the reason I am looking for a media player or htpc. Thinking that they can give out better audio. Is my thinking correct?

What is the connection between laptop and AVR for audio? Is it HDMI? If it is headphone jack then don't expect quality to be good as the DAC of laptop (usually poor) comes into play.

yes ... it is HDMI cable, and my AVR internal dac is working... that is the reason im a bit surprised !!

These media players offer multiple connectivity options, etc.... but as far as the audio quality is concerned, if they are not going to be much better than my laptop, they are not useful to me. That is what I am trying to find out ....

No I don't think media player will be 'better' than laptop if both use HDMI. You can try an USB DAC like audioquest Dragonfly to improve the audio quality from laptop.

Hello All,

Can you suggest a media player that can play Lossless/Flac songs, and HD movies (blueray rips) please???

I want to connect it to my yamaha AVR. Budget around 6 to 10k.

There is lot of data in this forum, I read as much as I can, but could not come to a conclusion guys, that's why I am asking separately.

Regards
Chaitanya

Hi Chaitanya , you could also try out the Ibox. Its a very good piece of equipment to suit both your audio and video needs.

Cheers!
Anand Iyer

STEREO: Transrotor zet 1 TT, Transrotor 8.2 MC reference phono stage, Ortofon rondo red cartridge, MSB Platinum iv DAC, MSB DATA TRANSPORT iv CD transport, mola mola Kaluga power amplifiers, Transparent audio Ultra cables and interconnects, Transparent audio premium USB cable, Transparent audio Reference Power cables Synology D 415 play 12 TB RAID NAS drive, Mac book air with Roon, Joseph Audio Perspectives Floor standers, Stillpoints Aperture Acoustic panels, Stillpoints Ultra mini isolators, Blue jeans CAT6a cables. Transparent Audio Power isolators MM2.

HT1: Optoma HD 82 projector, I box media player, Synology D 415 play 12 TB RAID NAS drive, Anthem MRX 500 AV receiver, B & W center & DALI surrounds, REL T5 subwoofer.

HT2: Panasonic 42' Plasma, Monitor audio Radius R250 center and front speakers, Radius R90 surrounds and radius R360 subwoofer. Dune & Zappiti media player and pioneer BDP 140 blu ray player.

Back