Please help! Yamaha or Denon?

Abhinav Nayak

I am planning on getting a budget home theater system. Found the Polk Fusion T series 5.1 Entry level Speaker package interesting. But I have trouble in deciding the AV Receiver I should opt. I have zeroed in on 2 options:

1. Yamaha HTR 3067
2. Denon AVR X500

My major use would be to watch movies. Kindly help me select the right receiver from the above mentioned options. Also let me know if my AVR & Speaker package options are good enough.

Hi

What is your total budget?

The famous Yamaha YHT299 seems to be a top selling entry level HT system...why not go and check it at Reliance Digital?

You can also explore other brands and then decide....

If budget is an issue, look for pre owned in the For Sale by Owner section or Hi Fi Ads..

If you main use is watching movies, denon would be good. Both are equally good brands. You may audition and decide

None of the brand is bad, YAMAHA or Denon, I guess Denon is well paired with speaker brands like Dali, So you need to notice which will be best matched with Polk. Still I think YAMAHA

For movies Denon & Polk will be a good match .Between the AVR you mentioned ,I'm using X500 for the past 3 years ,no issue it can be extended upto 165 watts per channel.
Only u will miss the 4K pass through and network connectivity features and calibration features ,rest it is a very good receiver in that price range.
However it is better do an audition by yourself and then decide.

I'm using X500 for the past 3 years ,no issue it can be extended upto 165 watts per channel.

Are you sure about the power number?
I don't think any of the entry and even mid AVR have 165W/channel in full freq range when 2 ch driven.

Mostly the power/channel falls in 70W to 90W range in Denon and Yamaha AVRs ( till RX-v6xx and x-2200 series)

Yes .
The power output as per denon brochure
165 watts per channel (6 ohms, 1 kHz, THD 10%, 1ch driven)
110 watts per channel(6 ohms, 1 kHz, THD 0.7%, 2ch driven)
75 watts per channel(8 ohms, 20Hz - 20 kHz, THD 0.08%, 2ch driven)

I Feel Denon will mate better with Polks than Yamaha. If you have decided on the Polks then I would go with Denon. But if you can demo and then take a call.

All the Best!!!

Yes .
The power output as per denon brochure
165 watts per channel (6 ohms, 1 kHz, THD 10%, 1ch driven)
110 watts per channel(6 ohms, 1 kHz, THD 0.7%, 2ch driven)
75 watts per channel(8 ohms, 20Hz - 20 kHz, THD 0.08%, 2ch driven)

165W is not really the true power. THD is 10% and 1channel driven and 1khz.
it is 75W/Channel when 2 channels driven. This is the practical and meaningful power for this AVR.

Yes. what you said may be correct (Most of AVR manufacturer claims higher power for their model),but only thing is the AVR will be having reserve power which will be an advantage.
I have used X500 to drive DALI Zensor 5/1 speakers earlier, and it has performed excellent.

Thank you guys for the suggestions and viewpoints. I finally bought a Denon AVR X520bt (instead of X500), since it has a 4k pass through) coupled with a Polk Fusion T Series package.

But now this going to sound strange. I bought the package, came back home and rechecked the prices of higher Denon models and saw that I could actually afford the Denon AVR x1200w which has a Dolby Atmos support as well as DTS x firmware update. The 1200w also has network connectivity which is amiss in my 520bt.

Now did I just make a mistake or am I going to be satisfied with my buy? I am kind of an OCD on stuff like this, but please tell me if I should exchange my AVR x520bt with the x1200w. I feel so stupid.

Thank you guys for the suggestions and viewpoints. I finally bought a Denon AVR X520bt (instead of X500), since it has a 4k pass through) coupled with a Polk Fusion T Series package.

But now this going to sound strange. I bought the package, came back home and rechecked the prices of higher Denon models and saw that I could actually afford the Denon AVR x1200w which has a Dolby Atmos support as well as DTS x firmware update. The 1200w also has network connectivity which is amiss in my 520bt.

Now did I just make a mistake or am I going to be satisfied with my buy? I am kind of an OCD on stuff like this, but please tell me if I should exchange my AVR x520bt with the x1200w. I feel so stupid.

I do not know from where you checked the prices, the Denon x1200w is lot more better but there is quite a price difference of Rs.8000 plus.

If you get it around the same price as you mentioned it's a no brainier but to get the X1200!

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back