Please Suggest me a pair of Active bookshelf speakers

Sonodyne is finally working on a high performance active speaker system which will sound far superior compared to their present models. Dont know what they plan to name it, but its scheduled for launch in the very near future. See attached picture of its prototype

The small Genelec 6010A & 8020B are also great options to check out at PANDAM Professional Audio

These Speakers Are called SM200 AK.

@Hifi: Can you please mention the source regarding Sonodyne development. The good thing is they are pretty attractively priced in India as compared to Europe.
Thanks.

They have been showing & demonstrating that prototype at various trade shows for some time already. I had a chance to check out its sound at the PALM show in Goregaon - Bombay last month. Its performance was far superior to anything they have ever made before. Its waveguide shape reminds me of the JBL LSR Series & Event Opal.

I have heard the Sonodyne Active speakers SM50AK, very nice speakers. The best I have heard from Sonodyne Stable. Smooth, clean and musical.

I have heard the Sonodyne Active speakers SM50AK, very nice speakers. The best I have heard from Sonodyne Stable. Smooth, clean and musical.

Hi Dr,
good to have your opinion about the SM50. How do they compare with quad 11L active speakers. Does the quads really deserve 100% premium over the Sonodyn's in India?
Thanks.

Hi Dr,
good to have your opinion about the SM50. How do they compare with quad 11L active speakers. Does the quads really deserve 100% premium over the Sonodyn's in India?
Thanks.

Cant say really...I have never been a fan of Quad 11L/12L/22L. They are very genre specific speakers. Good for Jazz but intolerable for Rock. I like all rounder speakers because thats one way to say it is less colored.

So finally today I got myself a pair of Sonodyne Sm50 Ak active bookshelf speakers. As usual trusted reviews and instincts to choose this pair. I must say it is quite an interesting speaker. If I compare it with my main setup it is no match but if I forget everything and just concentrate on the music produced by it I must say it has very a involving and musical midrange. Decent bass and very clean sounding speaker but bit bright. Wow I have started using these terms.:) To summarize it makes a wonderful small room setup provided the source is decent. Have only tried vinyls so far. Might attach the squeezebox at some point in future. Really impressed with the post sales service. There was a initial gain problem and two guys turned up within an hour after I told them about it over phone.Special thanks to Viren for providing me a custom made XLR to RCA cables which in this case acting as speaker cable.
Thanks.

So finally today I got myself a pair of Sonodyne Sm50 Ak active bookshelf speakers. As usual trusted reviews and instincts to choose this pair. I must say it is quite an interesting speaker. If I compare it with my main setup it is no match but if I forget everything and just concentrate on the music produced by it I must say it has very a involving and musical midrange. Decent bass and very clean sounding speaker but bit bright. Wow I have started using these terms.:) To summarize it makes a wonderful small room setup provided the source is decent. Have only tried vinyls so far. Might attach the squeezebox at some point in future. Really impressed with the post sales service. There was a initial gain problem and two guys turned up within an hour after I told them about it over phone.Special thanks to Viren for providing me a custom made XLR to RCA cables which in this case acting as speaker cable.
Thanks.
Please can you disclose the price?

No the price is for a pair. The details can be found at

Studio > SM Series

Yes they act like monoblocks so you need to control volume in both speakers. They also have options to alter the bass and treble response with some binary switches.
Thanks.

Monoblocks mated with speakers , Balanced XLR input ,Pro Technology ....I find price is quiet cheap!
Superb purchase!

Hi Mahi
Try to get some good stands and you have a very good hifi system

Hi Mahi
Try to get some good stands and you have a very good hifi system

Hi Rikhav,
thanks for the suggestion for stands. I do agree they are the way to go with book shelves but unfortunately it will make my room bit clumsy. I have made a big shelve on which they are placed now. As per Arj's suggestion I will just place a big slab of granite on top of that shelve so it will provide vibration isolation. I have put some rubber isolators below the speakers which I got with Jamo but never got to use them. So far so good.
Thanks.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back