Please suggest Passive Speakers for Desktop use (70k to 100k INR)

Hello All,

My current setup includes a Rega Brio Amplifier, a Chord Mojo DAC and Quad S2 speakers. I have them set up at my desk against a wall, at work.

As you can tell its not an ideal setup. I dont think the Quads work well near-field. They are too bright and fatiguing in that set up. I'm thinking of moving the Quads home and getting a new amplifier and DAC to go with them.

That leaves my workspace with the Rega Brio and the Chord Mojo. I want to pair a of bookshelf speakers (sealed?) with those components for my desktop setup at work. I would have loved to get the Harbeth P3ESRs but they are just simply too expensive for me. These speakers will be playing music - from the moment I step into my office, so non-fatiguing warm sound signature is a must.

Would love to hear from the FMs!

Regards,

You could upgrade the office set up by replacing the current system completely with the Kef LSX; for a much cleaner look, & sound.
Alternatively, if a used Harbeth P3ESR isn't an option, check out ProAc Tablette 10. There is also the new Lumina I from Sonus Faber.
Not sure about local availability or pricing, but bookshelves from the likes of Dynaudio, Spendor, Totem, PMC, B&W etc. are options.

Check on local pricing for the Spendor equivalent to the P3ESR - I think the 3/5. Discontinued but the distributor had some stock till recently. New version is the 4/5

You could upgrade the office set up by replacing the current system completely with the Kef LSX; for a much cleaner look, & sound.
Alternatively, if a used Harbeth P3ESR isn't an option, check out ProAc Tablette 10. There is also the new Lumina I from Sonus Faber.
Not sure about local availability or pricing, but bookshelves from the likes of Dynaudio, Spendor, Totem, PMC, B&W etc. are options.

Thank you for the response. The ProAc Tablette 10 is something I have never come across, I've just looked them up. Have you had any experience with them? What would you say is their sound signature?

I agree about the KEF LSX it is something i should consider, i heard them at the What HiFi show and wasn't too impressed though.

You can get a pair of genelecs which would be really accurate. Alternately “sound artist ls3/5a” if you can source them would work on desk.

Wont the Genelecs be out of budget? I'm definitely interested in the Sound Artists, but like you said sourcing is the issue.

Check on local pricing for the Spendor equivalent to the P3ESR - I think the 3/5. Discontinued but the distributor had some stock till recently. New version is the 4/5

Thank you for this information sir, any idea who this dealer is?

Thank you for the response. The ProAc Tablette 10 is something I have never come across, I've just looked them up. Have you had any experience with them? What would you say is their sound signature?

I’ve had a loaner Tablette 10 for a few months, a very long time back, as a replacement to a pair of cheeky little fun speakers from Pioneer – made of Malt Whiskey barrels!

The Tablette 10 is yet another ‘refined’ iteration of the famous BBC LS3/5A design; similar to Harbeth PE3SR, Roger LS3/5a or Spendor Classic 3/5 and A1 etc. Read up on it.

While I have heard all of the above on multiple occasions throughout the years, I can’t offer you an authoritative opinion. I liked their warm-ish sound and aesthetic appeal.

Wont the Genelecs be out of budget? I'm definitely interested in the Sound Artists, but like you said sourcing is the issue.

Your location shows Hyderabad. FM @prateekatasniya has a pair of Genelec 8040 for sale if you stretch out budget a bit. You could audition and pick it up if you like it. Plus point is you save the extra cash you would invest in a quality amp since the Genelecs are active. Factoring in the cost for the amp the Genelecs would likely work out cheaper.

Your location shows Hyderabad. FM @prateekatasniya has a pair of Genelec 8040 for sale if you stretch out budget a bit. You could audition and pick it up if you like it. Plus point is you save the extra cash you would invest in a quality amp since the Genelecs are active. Factoring in the cost for the amp the Genelecs would likely work out cheaper.

Thank you, will PM him.
I liked their warm-ish sound and aesthetic appeal.
Ah! thanks, seems to be right up my alley. Will see if i can audition them

The SoundArtist LS3/5A, a Chinese speaker was very appreciated. A mimic of the original LS3/5A. Sean from Zero Fidelity appreciated these speakers so much when its used in the desktop environment. If Chinese products are OK, check these out.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back