Please welcome my new set-up and help me with some teething issue (surface noise)

eddie_fox

Hi guys,

After close to 8 months of researching, sourcing, shipping, collecting, buying, sorting issues and ironing out niggles, what started off as an idea to own 'a' record player to play the few inherited records lying in the attic (the initial budget allotted was Rs. 10,000 for the whole set-up) is now a complete fairly hi-fi package (the final budget, of course, is tens of times the initial budget). In the end, it was worth all the money, effort and waiting.

Presenting my new set-up:
Technics SL1200 MK2 + Ortofon ProS cartridge + Ortofon OM20 stylus + Rega Brio-r integrated amp + KEF Q500 speakers

A few snaps of the same:

Last edited:
:clapping:
Impressive first setup! So how does Dark Side of the Moon sound on your system? :)

Where did you buy those KEF speakers? Pro-FX?

Now, regarding the niggle of the surface noise - I recently changed the stock Ortofon OM ProS stylus and replaced it with a better Ortofon OM20 replacement stylus, and since then, I have noticed an increase in surface noises (crackle, pops and clicks). The cart was initially aligned using the standard Technics overhang gauge and post stylus replacement; I realigned the cart and changed the stipulated tracking weight (from 3.7 for the ProS to 1.5gms for the OM20). I certainly hear a lot more noise than before and I am not sure if it because the OM20 is a more sensitive nude elliptical type or if I have done something wrong. Are there other reasons for the increase in noise apart from the new stylus?

Also, I have not really heard a lot of TTs before mine, so I don't know if this noise is normal and to be expected.

p.s - I have a growing collection of fairly eclectic genres of music, from Bhimshen Joshi to Vivaldi, S.D Burman to all of the Floyds. All HFV vinyl enthusiasts in Bangalore are welcome to browse, listen and borrow. Thanks for all your help till date.

Hey N - Its about time your posted your setup. Can feel the excitement and exactly feel what you meant by worth all the effort :). The pictures make the setup look awesome and I am sure with the new speakers they sound amazing. Missed auditioning last week but I tell you, would not miss it this weekend mate!

Now its time to sit back and enjoy the live music...congrats!!

PS: My eyes caught on that scotch from the last pic :).

Cheers....

:clapping:
Impressive first setup! So how does Dark Side of the Moon sound on your system? :)

Where did you buy those KEF speakers? Pro-FX?

Hi,

The KEF is from Pro-FX on M.G road.

DSOTM sounds brilliant. In fact my Floyd collection is the pride and joy of my lot. I have:
The Wall - double album,
WYWH - both the 1975 release and the 180gm re-release
The Division Bell (marble blue vinyl)
A saucerful of secrets (1968,Pink vinyl)
A collection of great dance songs

Am not even over my 'rum and Floyd evening' hangover yet ;)

Hey a quick piece of advice. I see the Vinyl are stacked in a slanting position. Please correct immediately and ensure they are stacked in a 90degree angle always. You don't want warps do you?

Cheers...

Hey N - Its about time your posted your setup. Can feel the excitement and exactly feel what you meant by worth all the effort :). The pictures make the setup look awesome and I am sure with the new speakers they sound amazing. Missed auditioning last week but I tell you, would not miss it this weekend mate!

Now its time to sit back and enjoy the live music...congrats!!

PS: My eyes caught on that scotch from the last pic :).

Cheers....

The sooner you make it here, the better, dude. The scotch won't last long before it becomes a show-piece like the other bottles. ;)

If I remember correctly Technics tonearm requires medium to low compliance cartridge/stylus and not high compliance ones like OM20. A Shure M97 or a DL103 is a suitable option for this tonearm. You might want to try the earlier stylus and see if the surface noise goes away.

Cheers.

That's a great news.

I can understand how much excited you might be. Congratulations!!!

A very decent set up, I am feeling like coming to your place to listen to the same.

I think something would have gone wrong in the cartridge alignment while changing the stylus. I m using ortofone om 10 super. It is very good cartridge. I think om 20 should be better.

Congratulations on the wonderful setup!
where did you buy the TT?
I am sure almost every poster to this sub-forum would love to audition the setup. Hope you'll be able to sort out the issues soon.

That's a great news.

I can understand how much excited you might be. Congratulations!!!

A very decent set up, I am feeling like coming to your place to listen to the same.

I think something would have gone wrong in the cartridge alignment while changing the stylus. I m using ortofone om 10 super. It is very good cartridge. I think om 20 should be better.

I am well impressed with OM20 sound, it is just a wee bit too sensitive on some of the less cleaner records.
Please come down for a listen-in and let me know if there is a substantial difference between the 10 and 20 styluses. Let me know by PM if you want to visit.

Really nice setup and I notice a bottle of Laphroaig :D.

Ha ha ha... Thanks for noticing the setup too...;). Love the Laphroaig though, great if like me you love the peat. But Talisker takes the cake amongst the smoky ones for me. Feel free to 'drop in' while it lasts.

Laphroaig completely dominated the good looks of KEF's. ;) All eyes are on it.

The other KEF has a beautiful 14 year old Glenfiddich next to it, but like you, I prefer the right speaker along with Laphroaig next to it too. :licklips:

Congratulations on the wonderful setup!
where did you buy the TT?
I am sure almost every poster to this sub-forum would love to audition the setup. Hope you'll be able to sort out the issues soon.

Thanks, Hildebrand.
The issue is not too grave, so auditions are greatly welcome. Just PM me.

slick setup, century on debut

would have enjoyed seeing a NAD in place of the rega though :) but I'm heavily biased towards NAD

As RP mentioned, stack your LPs vertically. Regarding background noise...well, common man, give me a break. It you let that bother you, you're going to remain bothered for a long time to come :)

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back