Please welcome my new set-up and help me with some teething issue (surface noise)

slick setup, century on debut

would have enjoyed seeing a NAD in place of the rega though :) but I'm heavily biased towards NAD

As RP mentioned, stack your LPs vertically. Regarding background noise...well, common man, give me a break. It you let that bother you, you're going to remain bothered for a long time to come :)

Right. Some songs I like more because of the musical background noise they come with :lol:

Wow. No digital to be seen anywhere in the set up. Now that's something rare. I do not know much about the turn table. I can say the KEF and Rega will be a beautiful combination. The KEF's are not too demanding on power too. I love the sound of KEF and Rega too.

I would not worry too much about the records at a slight slant. As long as you don't pile up too much as one single bunch, you should be good.

Who sold you the Rega and how long ago was this?

I would not worry too much about the records at a slight slant

Yeah, me too.

Regarding surface noise, please go through the record cleaning regimen. This is the most boring part of vinyl playback, but a very critical step. A properly cleaned record should have much lesser noise, but you won't be able to eliminate it completely from a record once it is there. Clean records also reduces unnecessary stylus wear.

Wow. No digital to be seen anywhere in the set up. Now that's something rare. I do not know much about the turn table. I can say the KEF and Rega will be a beautiful combination. The KEF's are not too demanding on power too. I love the sound of KEF and Rega too.

I would not worry too much about the records at a slight slant. As long as you don't pile up too much as one single bunch, you should be good.

Who sold you the Rega and how long ago was this?

I do have a Philips DVD player connected to one of the RCA inputs, but don't listen to a lot of cds.
I will ensure the records stay as straight and don't pile up, thanks.
I used to live in the UK for the last 6 years, thus the Rega, which I got almost new for a decent price of 330 there. I brought it with me when I returned a month ago.
I also auditioned MA, MS, Polk, Tannoy, Wharferdales, PSB and QAcoustics. Found the wharferdale 10.6 and KEF to be the best matches for my amp. Settled for KEF as the 10.6s seemed a bit too warm. Also, the MA RX6 sounded good too.

Yeah, me too.

Regarding surface noise, please go through the record cleaning regimen. This is the most boring part of vinyl playback, but a very critical step. A properly cleaned record should have much lesser noise, but you won't be able to eliminate it completely from a record once it is there. Clean records also reduces unnecessary stylus wear.

I am using the Knosti Disco Antistatic cleaning system...and yes, it is damn boring, cleaning hundreds of records, but has to be done. The cleaned records sound fairly quiet, but I was comparing it with my old stylus and hence I could discern more noise.
Anyway, I think I can live with it :)

slick setup, century on debut

would have enjoyed seeing a NAD in place of the rega though :) but I'm heavily biased towards NAD

As RP mentioned, stack your LPs vertically. Regarding background noise...well, common man, give me a break. It you let that bother you, you're going to remain bothered for a long time to come :)

Thanks Reubensm, I agree, after listening to it more and more, I think I can easily live with the little surface noise.
I would like to, however, try a less complaint cart, as suggested, just to see the difference. Will ask RP to bring his Shure/Stanton along when he visits for the audition.

Thanks Reubensm, I agree, after listening to it more and more, I think I can easily live with the little surface noise.
I would like to, however, try a less complaint cart, as suggested, just to see the difference. Will ask RP to bring his Shure/Stanton along when he visits for the audition.

Great, not sure about the ownership history but since you are using a Technics DD, you'll have to lubricate the bearing assembly (with the prescribed lubricant) once in a while. A Technics DD that is not lubricated when required, usually has issues with rumble (also interpretted by some as surface noise as this is heard only when the stylus hits the record grooves :) )

myHI-bycZreWntHA1w9aQUw.jpg

The Ortofon OM 20 (not Super OM 20)has a compliance of 30, which is quite high. It is meant for lighter tonearms of about 6-8 grams mass (Project 9cc, SME 3009 11) whereas the technics tonearm is medium mass (about 14) if I remember. Perhaps the surface sound is due to this. I can suggest the Denon 110 if you want to try a cart with a medium compliance. (about 12-14). Unfortunately the cost of the Denon 110 has gone up quite a bit. You can also consider the ortofon Blue which has a moderately high compliance of 22, but this should be the upper limit I would think. The Benz Ace is another option but its much more expensive. In any case please go to the vinyl engine tools section and check the suitable cartridge compliance for your tonearm.

The Ortofon OM 20 (not Super OM 20)has a compliance of 30, which is quite high. It is meant for lighter tonearms of about 6-8 grams mass (Project 9cc, SME 3009 11) whereas the technics tonearm is medium mass (about 14) if I remember. Perhaps the surface sound is due to this. I can suggest the Denon 110 if you want to try a cart with a medium compliance. (about 12-14). Unfortunately the cost of the Denon 110 has gone up quite a bit. You can also consider the ortofon Blue which has a moderately high compliance of 22, but this should be the upper limit I would think. The Benz Ace is another option but its much more expensive. In any case please go to the vinyl engine tools section and check the suitable cartridge compliance for your tonearm.
The thread is almost four years old :)

Hi soundbuff,

Indeed the thread is quite old, but thanks for taking time to comment. Reading it was like a flashback to when I started this journey.

Btw, I have moved a long way away from the setup. Except for the Technics, everything has changed. I now use a Denon 103r, with a heavier Yamamoto sound craft headshell and additional counter-weight. Sounds beautiful. The OM20 is still on a spare headshell.

Also, you seem to have moved away from the tubes and horns as well since I visited you a long time ago. ;)

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back