Pleases suggest a Mini Hifi system or a home theatre for cheap price!

kaverao

Hi, I need to buy a kind of Mini Hifi system (or a home theatre if any available at that price) which has to be used by my family at native villege (mostly elderly people) who don't know much of technology and can't operate too complex devices. Also it has to be simple and no much features needed except the below.

• Runs DVD movie (to be connected to a CRT TV) and music playback and FM (with built in speakers).
  • Supports music CD/DVD/Mp3 disc playback and USB direct playback (mp3 USB drive is must and divX playback via USB would be great to have)
  • Preferably Has Aux input (to connect a music phone) and Headphone output. But these are not 'must have'.
  • Casette player/ recording / USB ripping/CD ripping need not be there.
  • Should be reliable brand - like Sony/Philips/LG/Samsung/Panasonic...
  • Price not more than INR 5-6K.

Please suggest me the cheapest (value for money) in the range. Again, I am not looking for much features except the above. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
At this price range you won't get branded HT. Up your budget a little and you can buy DVD HT for 8K and above.

there is an offer going on with philips where they are selling a basic dvd player + low powered 5.1 speaker system for rs 5k. Try that. The speakers are not adequately powered. DVD player is ok.

Otherwise you can go for one of the boom boxes which have everything including a cassette player, dvd player, radio,USB with built in speakers and costs about 6k. Best hassle free solution for non tech savvy people. Sony has good models. However in no way it will classify as home theatre.

Or you can buy philips dvdp for 2.5k+ 5.1 system with built in FM by brands like Artis/F & D for 3-4k. However with 2 separate companies with 2 separate remote controllers can be a bit of problem.

Thanks a lot!. "Boom box"- that is exactly what I am looking for. I think i can get one for 5K right? Anyone having idea on any particular model in the above brands, pls post the details. Thanks.

Hi. I visited a shop (Pai international) nearby and there I didn't find any boombox/ mini hifi kind of audio-video systems. They said it's almost out of market since no buyers.
Now, I finalized a normal DVD player Philips Model-3356 which has all my desired features except FM,Aux in, headphone out etc. Price -INR 2640.

Is that okay to buy it?

Which 5.1 channel speakers can i connect to this for a moderate sound effect? (Again, I am not looking for a great effect, looking for economy!!!.) A unit pricing at INR 3000 or less would be fine.

Thanks again.

1)boomboxes are still in production. You can visit company showrooms. You will get a lot of variety.

2) speakers for 3k: Artis/ I ball/F & D/philips. Visit a computer peripheral shop rather than consumer goods shop. You will get many more options.

3)There are certain DVD Players one by LG And one by Dapic that I have seen. They have built in stereo amplifiers.

4)Philips dvdp are pretty ok.

Hi. Thanks everyone who had given me valuable tips. As per suggestion by some of you, i realized that i can fulfill all my requirement by buying a DVD player and a speaker set separately. Yesterday I bought a philips DVD player-Model-3356 for INR 2550/- (fulfills all my needs except FM, Aux in{realized that I cant expect it in a simple DVD player; and I dont need this anymore :)}, Headset output) and a very simple but effective 2.1 Ch speaker set - Mitashi - PH40T for INR 1400/- (though 2.1 channel, it has very good music output, way better than many of branded low end 5.1 Ch speakers like philips, sony etc which I auditioned in the same shop costing more than double of this Mitashi). Also it has a tiny converter to plug in to 3.5mm jack of any music device and input & play directly in the speakers(works awesome with my Nokia 5800 cell phone, Zune 30GB-Gen1); I hope it is the way to connect it to PC too. {this's why I said above that "I don't need a Aux in"} I just hope it is not a bad choice since I now have a good system within INR4000; and waiting for comments from you. Thanks again :)

Last edited:
If it sounds good, it IS good. Simple.
Many times you pay for brand value for branded products even when they do not manufactuer it but just market it. Mitashi is a well known brand in lower price bracket. It seems to be a good buy.

I use marantz now. At my native place, my comp is connected to a system called Lexpro. It is a 2.1 system bought for 3.5k way back somewhere in 2001 or so. It has a 3" sub in plastic cabinet and the satellites are also in plastic cabinet!!! It still keeps on impressing me even though i am used to marantz sound. The listening distance is quite close. It can not create the ambience like marantz but clarity is excellent.

Yes, completely agree to your point. I too avoid paying only for just brand name. Mitashi is good indian brand (at least it is my feeling), this is my 2nd prod my Mitz, I have another 5.1 Ch multipurpose speaker PH 106FU, which delivers great music. Plays USB and SDCard for Mp3/wam. Has Aux in, DVD 5.1 in, and FM. However after 8 months of use, FM apparently stopped working. So I took it to Reliance digital (where I bought it) ResQ workshop. To my surprise, ther it working !:sad:. The guy told me to change the place of it bcoz, FM signal might be weak where i currently placed it. However, no result when I come back home it doesnt work even if i change the place & put it on window side, open place. But my mobile phone fm captures signals anywhere at home :-(. bit disappointed abt it, but still other functions of speaker still are working gr8. :).

Back