Pls suggest a good closed headphone

anm

I need a headphone for use in office, and late night listening without disturbing people near me. Please suggest some decent ones.
Denon 5000 is available for $400 on amazon. Is it worth it? Or are there better SQ yet cheaper options available? Looking for hidden gems in this category.
I already have a philips 8900. Though it is quite good, I think it is slightly bright, and it is open back. May be it still needs to be broken in, as I am not able to listen to it much because of the late night/ office limitation.

Other option is - that I use save money to achieve this and use my money wisely on something else - may be senn hd 650?

Keep an eye on the used route if you are open to it.

The only closed headphones I've heard are from Denon - AH-D1001 and LA2000 (markL) For the price, the first one is a real winner. The modded 2000 was clearly better than the stock i compared with - more body, depth and isolation. I'm also considering a decent enough headphone rig around GS-1. Probably within the next 6 months or so when I get some time to attend any of the head-fi meets and hear a few myself. Want to compare the 2,5 and 7000 from Denon with JVC DX1000.

Cheers.

I need a headphone for use in office, and late night listening without disturbing people near me. Please suggest some decent ones.
Denon 5000 is available for $400 on amazon. Is it worth it? Or are there better SQ yet cheaper options available? Looking for hidden gems in this category.
I already have a philips 8900. Though it is quite good, I think it is slightly bright, and it is open back. May be it still needs to be broken in, as I am not able to listen to it much because of the late night/ office limitation.

Other option is - that I use save money to achieve this and use my money wisely on something else - may be senn hd 650?

I have Sennheiser HD180 Pretty good for the price........and its Sennheiser what else.....

Alessandro MS1? Its good and it ships worldwide for just 100$.
Again if you have access to stuff from abroad, you have a plethora of options.

Alessandro's are open cans. One can hear it fairly well even 10ft away at decent volumes :)

20091119095702.jpg

If you have the budget, then go for D5000.
Other cheaper options are ATH ES-7 , ESW-9.

I am thinking that I get some cheaper HP for office/ late night - and save money for some really good headphone that might happen to be open - for example 650.
I like the suggestion of this denon 1001. Anything better than this in this price range?

thanks everyone - yes I am thinking of getting this from a friend returning from the US :) .. ;-)

whats your budget and music choices? Headphones like A/V components are not a once size fits all. It all boils down to synergy and how much you can afford to make it happen

hi anm, i'm adding one question i guess it fits the thread so am not starting a new one. hope you don't mind :)

what is the headphone impedance range one can look at for plugging directly into a portable player, before one has to use a headphone amp?

thanks

I like the suggestion of this denon 1001. Anything better than this in this price range?

The Creative Aurvana Live is supposed to be an identical equivalent of the D1001, maybe you can get a good deal on it without paying extra for the Denon branding.

Alt look for the D2000 as a step up from the D1001, I have one paired with the AMB Labs M^3 and its quite nice.

whats your budget and music choices? Headphones like A/V components are not a once size fits all.

Very True ! Hence, if you can audition before buying nothing like it.

what is the headphone impedance range one can look at for plugging directly into a

portable player, before one has to use a headphone amp?

thanks

Generally low impedance phones could be driven directly from a portable player eg Senn PX-100 ( 32 ohm ), however some like the D2000 (25 ohm) could definitely do with an amp.

If you can use an amp with your low impedance phones, nothing like it.

ATH M-50 is a fine suggestion.The good thing is that you can audition these here at ATH New Delhi dealer but the bad thing is that they ask for 9k which is almost double the street price in US.

ATH M-50 is a fine suggestion.The good thing is that you can audition these here at ATH New Delhi dealer but the bad thing is that they ask for 9k which is almost double the street price in US.

Maybe he should audition it in Delhi and order it on eBay? :eek:hyeah:

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back