Pls suggest a PMP that can play all

anm

Hi
Can someone suggest a good pmp that

=>can play most file formats (wav and flac)

=> has good storage space, preferably expandable - so that I can create several memory cards, like people used to create several cassettes

=> has internet radio player

=> has FM

=> has decent SQ and power to drive most headphones

Did I miss something?

regards

Hi
Can someone suggest a good pmp that

=>can play most file formats (wav and flac)

=> has good storage space, preferably expandable - so that I can create several memory cards, like people used to create several cassettes

=> has internet radio player

=> has FM

=> has decent SQ and power to drive most headphones

Did I miss something?

regards

Are you more inclind toward audio, as you did not mention video formats, Also you did not mention any budget so I presume that is not much of a constraint. Any way, I can suggest two very good PMPs with very good support for Audio and Video including H.264 and Flac.

1. ARCHOS 7 ... Details can be taken from site, but noticible formatts are as follows......

Video playback MPEG-42 (ASP@L5 AVI, up to DVD resolution)
WMV (MP@ML, up to DVD resolution) including WMV protected files
M-JPEG (Motion JPEG Video) in QVGA resolution

With optional plug-in (downloadable from your tablet on www.archos.com):
HD support: MPEG-4 (ASP 720p) & WMV HD (MP 720p)
H.264 up to DVD resolution with AAC
MPEG-2 MP@ML up to 10 Mbps (up to DVD resolution) and AC3 stereo sound (5.1)

Audio playback : Stereo MP3 decoding @ 30-320 Kbits/s CBR & VBR, WMA, Protected WMA, WMA pro 5.1, WAV (PCM/ADPCM).
AC3 stereo audio and 5.1 sound files (via SPDIF output of DVR Station)
Flac and OGG Vorbis audio files With optional software plug-ins (downloadable from your tablet on www.archos.com):
AAC3, AAC+ stereo audio files

2. COWON O2PMP ... Details can be taken from site, but noticible formatts are as follows......

rbfcyv.jpg

1eau8g.jpg

not necessarily video capabilities. A tablet viewing/ browsing device can be a pain due to size during hours in gym (oh yes, I have joined one, but still to start going there).
Music only player is fine.

Last edited:
I have used cowon for several years and found it great.

didnt understand how the ipod qualifies for the OP's requirements.

Nice
Nothing specific but ifeel that Spiro has given feedback reading on net.
Personnel expereince differs ...I had ipod touch -2g and got pissed by itunes and video conversion and later sold that..
Also sometimes build quality over longer period and service when required are tie breakers ..... and maybe a deciding factor...

Web reviews do not cover this......

cowon s9 with oled screen, good sq, decent video support ... check out reviews but the device looks really classy

hi anm,

the only comment i can make is that if you're hitting gym, it's gonna hit your player and you might want to get a flash based storage device rather than a hard disk based one. hard disk based ones like the bigger storage ipods have a higher failure rate than the smaller storage ipods, flash based ones.

apple lossless ought to be good enough. wav will be too large file size. this is if you're going the ipod route, cos ipod does not support flac.

regards

thanks everyone. the more I think of it, it has to be as small as possible for the gym. FM is important as I can listen to random content without bothering to load this pmp every now and then.
Where to find sansa/ cowon in delhi/ ncr? Which is a good model in both products?

The Cowon s9 wouldnt do as it lacks expandable memory, D2 or D2+ would do the job.

But if you are looking at size as more of a priority its the Sansa Clip plus or Sansa Fuze that I would suggest as they meet all requirements(except internet radio player).
Alternatively you can also look at the Creative Zen Xfi( it has drag n drop video, unlike D2 where you have to resize, though it plays avi)

Last edited:
I would not recommend the S9 either. D2+ has better power among all the options iAudio listed.

I've never tried iPods or Zunes, because they are bound to proprietary softwares. Drag and Drop in MSC mode is my preference. YMMV :)

I own Cowon S9 and Clip+ for over 5 months & 3 months respectively. Both support browsing by ID3 tags or by folders.

While S9 does have physical buttons, it's headphone out is at the bottom and controls are at the top. S9 does not have expandable memory either. It's a good player no doubt, but I usually reach out for Clip+ when I'm traveling because

[a] I prefer it's compact size
I do not want to be worried about damaging that gorgeous AMOLED screen of S9 somehow :indifferent14:
[c] While at 79 gms, S9 is not exactly a brick, at 23 gms, Clip+ beats it :)

Your choices would be Sansa Clip+ or Sansa Fuze. Both offer expandable memory, they are compact, similar SQ and have good reviews. If you can live with a 3 line scrolling screen and will not use it for anything other than music (ever), Clip+ should do just fine. Besides, that's the only one I can recommend based on experience, on Fuze - I've only read ;)

But what headphone / IEM would you pair them with? If it's a bit hard to drive headphone, then they may need an amp. Something like an el cheapo FiiO E5 would suffice most of the time. Stock buds are decent enough.

I purchased a e260 from sansa. It has FM and 4GB, plus microsd slot. Seems it can't play wav, but maybe I haven't tried hard enough. The offer was decent - mrp 13k but was given away at 3k by home town.

I purchased a e260 from sansa. It has FM and 4GB, plus microsd slot. Seems it can't play wav, but maybe I haven't tried hard enough. The offer was decent - mrp 13k but was given away at 3k by home town.

Anm, Congrats on your new player.:yahoo:

13k MRP:p? How old was the packing? Or is Sansa trying to appeal to the VFM side of its Indian customers?
Its a nice player, except for that finicky scroll wheel.

I read a review and it was in June 06. So must be a quite old packing. I was actually there to find a voice recorder that my wife needs for some meetings - and ended up discovering this lying unnoticed in a corner. I saw the sticker price and said damn! but I asked the guy if there is some discount and he said yes, this one is for 3k under some liquidation.
Stock headphones are still lying in the box - these kind never fit into my ear. I am currently listening using my sony walkman in ear headphones. I tried my philips headphones too for a very short while and this sansa drove them fine. But there was a "local" headphone lying around that needed more juice than sansa could deliver.

I just got my Sansa Clip Plus 4gb. Gonna load it up with some songs and listen to it tonight.
I havent even opened the bubble pack where the stock earbuds are encased. I have paired it right away with my existing headphones.

hi Iaudio,
If I have to choose between iAudio 9 and S9 , which is the best? I am interested in audio only. but the audio only models below iaudio 9 lacks 39 presets which are available only with models above iaudio 9.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back