plz recommend the best a/v receiver

ironman13

plz recommend the best a/v receiver(5.1 or 7.1)

guys please suggest me a good receiver(5.1 or 7.1) out there in the market today that will suit the speakers i mention with specs below..also that has best audio and video capabilities with multiple inputs and outputs and modern HD sound decoding capabilities for my 1080p HD tv...
i have two loud speakers of pioneer model and 4 speakers of Sony make..i wanna make it as a 5.1 home theater system..it does not matter if it is 7.1 receiver willing to add extra speakers along with the speakers i mentioned

my budget is around 20-36k max

here are the details:

for Sony: (4 speakers)

front speaker--
DIN Power output rated is ---------------160Watts +160 Watts (6 ohms at 1kHz. DIN)
Continous RMA Power output (reference)-- 200 Watts +200 Watts (6 ohms at 1kHz. 10%THD)

The speaker for this is (SS VX88) -------3way,3 unit bass reflex type.
Super Woofer------------ 15cm. cone type
Woofer------------------ 15cm. cone type
Tweeter----------------- 5cm. cone type
Nominal Impedence------- 6 ohms

The additional amplifier for satellite speakers:

DIN Power output rated is -----------------75Watts + 75 Watts (6 ohms at 1kHz. DIN)
Continous RMA Power output (reference) ----100 Watts + 100 Watts (6 ohms at 1kHz. 10%THD)

The speaker for this is (SS 158V)------- 2way,3 unit bass reflex type.

Woofer------------------ 10cm. cone type
Tweeter----------------- 4cm. cone type
Nominal Impedence------- 6 ohms

For the Pioneer--(2 speakers)

type-Bookshelf style,Bass reflex type
sytem-------------------3way,3-speaker system
loudspeakers:
Woofer------------------20cm(8 in). cone type
mid-range---------------6.6cm(2-5/8). cone type
Tweeter-----------------5.2 cm(2-1/16 in). cone type

Nominal impedance-------8 ohms
Frequency range----------50 Hz to 20,000 Hz
Sensitivity-------------91 dB/W at 1 m distance
Maximum Music Power-----60W
Rated Power-------------20W
Crossover Frequency-----3,000 Hz, 10,000 Hz

Please suggest a budget receiver for this. Also will I need a separate sub-woofer ?

guys please help me out in suggesting the receiver(5.1 or 7.1) that can handle these speaker power that i mentioned above..

also do the receivers come with speakers..

Last edited:
You have mentioned your budget. Yes. You will need a subwoofer to complete the 5.1 setup. I would suggest you get any used receiver which can handle 6 & 8 Ohms Speakers & allocate more of your budget for the subwoofer.

Last edited by a moderator:
but why buy an old one ..is the budget too less???many new pioneer receivers have those 6 and 8 ohms selections at the back but i do not know how to select a model according to th power requirement of the speakers..will the receiver handle the 200 watts...also since i have 6 speakers in total why not use the sixth for the super woofer..is there a difference in these sub and super woofer

Re: plz recommend the best a/v receiver(5.1 or 7.1)

go for DENON 1312, 1612, 1912...............depending on your budget.

Last edited by a moderator:
1)you can get receiver with 5.1 speaker set of the same company . It is called as HTIB:Home theatre in a box.
E.G. Onkyo 3400 or yamaha yht 294 at around 25k all inclusive.
Companies like philips, sony samsung have similar packages where the include a dvd or blue ray player in the same chasis as that of the receiver.

2) you can also buy receiver of one company and speaker set of the other e.g. Denon receiver and Jamo speaker set.

3)the specs you have provided confused me a bit. THD Is a specification for amp and not speaker. Or wattage at particular ohm rating is also
Stated for amp. Speakers usually have nominal impedance and RMS & Max power handling capacity in addition to the sensitivity as their specifications.
What kind of electronic equipment you have? Do you have a 5 speaker sony system.

1)you can get receiver with 5.1 speaker set of the same company . It is called as HTIB:Home theatre in a box.
Companies like philips, sony samsung have similar packages where the include a dvd or blue ray player in the same chasis as that of the receiver.

2) you can also buy receiver of one company and speaker set of the other e.g. Denon receiver and Jamo speaker set.

3)the specs you have provided confused me a bit. THD Is a specification for amp and not speaker. Or wattage at particular ohm rating is also
Stated for amp. Speakers usually have nominal impedance and RMS & Max power handling capacity in addition to the sensitivity as their specifications.
What kind of electronic equipment you have? Do you have a 5 speaker sony system.
its a 4 speaker mini hifi home theatre system with satellite amp..its and old vcd player system model mhc-vx88..so i just want to use those speakers to complete a 5.1 setup..but i do not understand the power rating in speakers and amp which one should i consider..the speaker power rating or the amp(thd) power rating

its a 4 speaker mini hifi home theatre system along with a satellite amp(i.e.2 speakers for the main deck and 2 satellite speakers for the satellite amp)..plus i want to add the 2 pioneer speakers i mentioned to complete a 5.1 system for the receiver you mention..but should i consider the power rating of the speaker or the amp(thd) power rating for the reciever i buy

Attachments

• sony.jpg
    sony.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 165
  • pioneer cs205.gif
    pioneer cs205.gif
    13 KB · Views: 166
but why buy an old one ..is the budget too less???many new pioneer receivers have those 6 and 8 ohms selections at the back but i do not know how to select a model according to th power requirement of the speakers..will the receiver handle the 200 watts...also since i have 6 speakers in total why not use the sixth for the super woofer..is there a difference in these sub and super woofer

If you intend to buy a new receiver, it might eat 75% of your budget of 36K. It will be hard to get a good subwoofer for the remaining amount.

Anyways get a new (or) used up to you... Take the best Permutation & Combination that suits you :).

Now the 200Watts are exaggerated #'s. Dont worry. A good receiver can easily handle a Floor stander. so your speakers are actually not that hard to be driven.

I think you can't use any speaker as your subwoofer because, subwoofers are intended to reproduce frequencies below 150 - 100 Hz which normal speakers may not reproduce.

If you intend to buy a new receiver, it might eat 75% of your budget of 36K. It will be hard to get a good subwoofer for the remaining amount.

Anyways get a new (or) used up to you... Take the best Permutation & Combination that suits you :).

Now the 200Watts are exaggerated #'s. Dont worry. A good receiver can easily handle a Floor stander. so your speakers are actually not that hard to be driven.

I think you can't use any speaker as your subwoofer because, subwoofers are intended to reproduce frequencies below 150 - 100 Hz which normal speakers may not reproduce.

but can we add tweeters as well????

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back