Point and shoot camera.

My friend is having a requirement of Point & Shoot camera which can also take photos through a microscope (medical).

Can any P&S camera will serve the purpose or we need to look at specific features?

Which are the features he needs to look at for this requirement?

My friend is having a requirement of Point & Shoot camera which can also take photos through a microscope (medical).

Can any P&S camera will serve the purpose or we need to look at specific features?

Which are the features he needs to look at for this requirement?

Point and Shoot cameras have fixed lenses which are not removeable. For taking pictures through a microscope the normal lens will need to be removed. Manual control of aperture and shutter speed are also required. These are features usually found in manual focus single lens reflex (SLR) cameras. Also in certain rangefinder cameras like the Leica, the Zeiss Ikon Contax, the Russian Fed, Kiev and Zorki. Also in some simpler cameras like the Zeiss Ikon Contina III and the latest Voigtlander rangefinder cameras.

Manual focus SLR camera bodies in used but working condition are available for Rs 2,000 to Rs. 3,000 if you look around.

Best wishes.

Last edited:
here are my findings (for low light shoots)
Best AA Battery pocket cam- super pics Canon SX 130 IS ( heavily recommended- only reason i didnt buy it is because im STRICTLY NOT an AA guy)

Best li ion cams as below ( budget below 14k)
Canon SD 4000 ( probably the best low ISO shots but low zoom)
Canon Elph 100 ( camera in your budget probably under 12k- nice slim good pics.I almost bought it)
Panasonic ZS 5(i ended up buying the ZS 6 - dont by the ZS 7 - the GPS takes too much battery)-

Are these US model numbers? Do you know indian model numbers for these?

ZS7 I assume is same as TZ10 and its on sale for 11k.
Panasonic Camera TZ10 + Rs.5000 freebies from ZoomIn | eBay

Last edited:
"Zoom" any day ..... It is never necessary that a slightly smaller object is more pocket/hand friendly ... quite similar to 'carrying' handguns. The shape has to be smoother with minimum pointed edges. Thing is, you can't de-burr a camera ........ unlike a handgun ... :p

Which one did you get finally...i hope it was IXUS 230 HS ...Its just got good low light than older model.

"Zoom" any day ..... It is never necessary that a slightly smaller object is more pocket/hand friendly ... quite similar to 'carrying' handguns. The shape has to be smoother with minimum pointed edges. Thing is, you can't de-burr a camera ........ unlike a handgun ... :p

Hi A Vidyarthy,

It is not necessary that large objects are balanced to carry. The broom handle Mauser, although large by modern standards, is a clumsy and ill balanced weapon. My grandfather's eight bore shotgun, with long Damascus barrels, I found difficulty in pointing and shooting. The matching pair of rifled barrels, though shorter, were much easier to point and swing. The smaller Zeiss Ikon Contax II is, I find, much easier to hold and shoot with, than its bigger, exposure meter equipped brother, the Contax III. Incidentally, all the earlier Contax models are angular and less smooth than the contemporary Leicas, but not necessarily more difficult to carry or use. Just some stray thoughts.

Regards.

ok guys, lets get back to shooting with the camera instead of shooting with a gun:)

I had a few questions regarding the cameras:

How do u convert the 4x,5x etc optical zoom to 35mm equivalent?
whats the importance of ccd size, how do u interpret the numbers, its give like 1/2.3 inch etc.
How much superior is the OLED screens as compared to normal lcd screens. Is the oled mentioned THE OLED, which is supposed to revolutionize the tv industry, beating all competition to a pulp but is still a few years away from tv size production.
On an average, how good are the 1080p or 720p videos shot from these cameras.

Here is photo comparison between Ixus 230 (ELPH 310) and sx230.
Product Face-Offs Cameras - DigitalVersus

Pretty even. It comes to size vs extra zoom (8 vs 14) I guess. Lets see tomorrow.

Any chances you might settle for a NON pocket camera? Fuji, Kodak..etc get the worst reviews in DPReview and CNET and other sites. Panasonic camera are very good and their image stabilization is very good. using zoom during night times is mostly useless and if you plan to go 10X during night times better to have a tripod.

In case you are willing to settle for a normal camera that you have to lug around..I would suggest the Panasonic FZ series. I have a FZ5 which is 5 years old and its too good. The recent ones come with 24X zoom I think.

Plus cameras are one of those things you can always ask your friend to get from US - its way cheaper and custom guys dont bother you unless its a SLR.

On CNET recently there was a match off between one of the better Canon cameras and Iphone 4 and there wasn't much difference..so for casual photographers I guess a 15K phone would also do the job.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back