Poor audio systems in honda vehicles

infinity "shrieking"
wow ive never heard that before
whats the model no.?

infinity "shrieking"
wow ive never heard that before
whats the model no.?

It was an Infinity Ref6020 driven by blau electronics. I know the electronics are not at fault cos I have the same in my car. The speakers were the culprit.

it could be the electronic BUT if it is BLAUPUNKT as you say then chances are minute.
Blau is quite laid back and blau "shreiking" would surprise me even more!

ive heard the infy refenece ovals.
they are LOUD but do not shriek
components i will have to audition again.(mental note made)

at least Sama car has components that are really laid back

You might have lucked out with your stock speakers as most default ones are crappy compared to OEMs. Thats the reason people upgrade their dash and speakers as one of the earliest mods for car audio.

My stock pioneers sounded like crap with 12 watts of power. My Sony Xplods give me 50 RMS (so I am thinking about 18 - 22 watts) per channel which made a huge difference in the car.

Newbie Here.. Just purchased a new Honda City S. I like the convnience of the Steering controls and the HU which just plays USB so that I don't have to fiddle around with CDs...
However, the overall sound quality is not up to the prev setup I had. I got the 5 Channel Infinity reference Amp and Blaupunkt Sub removed from my older car and took it to a nearby Car Audio shop. The guy did not even take a look at the system and said that I cannot connect the Amp to the exisitng system. Is this true? Do I have to get a new HU to connect the Amp and Subs I would not want to disturb the existing HU and steering control convinience..

TIA

I think you should go as far as Dinyaar has, and at a maximum upgrade to better speakers. I drive a Civic and it would surely break my heart to see anyone rip out the dash in order to change the head unit, install an amp etc. Because we all know that after-market installs can never be as clean as factory fit. You run the risk of introducing squeaks and rattles and ugliness when the panels don't quite align back properly.

In any case, cars are the absolute worst place for serious music listening, acoustically and in terms of positioning of the driver w.r.t. speakers. So IMHO you should treat car listening as background ear candy as you navigate the rush hour, and reserve the moolah for your main system at home.

I realise I may have riled many car audio aficionados here, if so please accept my apologies :)

I wonder why he refused? I'm sure he must have an explanation. Why not try another installer??

Your amp is most likely to have a spk line level input.
Also i feel you'll have to change the spk as the stock spk are unlikely to sound decent & also the amp could be an overkill.
All the best
Cheers

Newbie Here.. Just purchased a new Honda City S. I like the convnience of the Steering controls and the HU which just plays USB so that I don't have to fiddle around with CDs...
However, the overall sound quality is not up to the prev setup I had. I got the 5 Channel Infinity reference Amp and Blaupunkt Sub removed from my older car and took it to a nearby Car Audio shop. The guy did not even take a look at the system and said that I cannot connect the Amp to the exisitng system. Is this true? Do I have to get a new HU to connect the Amp and Subs I would not want to disturb the existing HU and steering control convinience..

TIA

TIA

Im not too sure with what stock system the Honda city s comes with,
firrst if its an Alpine(yellow and blue buttons) then its got 2 pre outs or 1 pre out at least in that case you can use a Y splitter and use your 5 channel amp.
go to a better installer

If its the flush fatory fitted system (like a swift dzire or a NEW honda city Vtec) then thats not an alpine. its even cheaper!
however it does come with 1 pre out.
so you can use the Y splitter here too , or as someone suggested the speaker line level out puts can be used too.
In any case you can use your old amp.
please go to another installer.

if you still have trouble please get back.
i will try and post pics of a y splitter or give you the contact of some ICE friends in Kochi!

Im not too sure with what stock system the Honda city s comes with,
firrst if its an Alpine(yellow and blue buttons) then its got 2 pre outs or 1 pre out at least in that case you can use a Y splitter and use your 5 channel amp.
go to a better installer

If its the flush fatory fitted system (like a swift dzire or a NEW honda city Vtec) then thats not an alpine. its even cheaper!
however it does come with 1 pre out.
so you can use the Y splitter here too , or as someone suggested the speaker line level out puts can be used too.
In any case you can use your old amp.
please go to another installer.

if you still have trouble please get back.
i will try and post pics of a y splitter or give you the contact of some ICE friends in Kochi!

Thanks a lot for the replies guys..
It is actually the newer Honda City Type S, which comes with the USB/Aux/Radio only mp3 player with Steering Controls. I read somewhere that it is a Mitsubishi OEM player(Never knew they were into mp3 players)..
Will try another installer. Probably the other guy must have been trying to get me to buy a new player and speakers(Which I will probably have to buy anyway)

Thanks again for the replies

Hey! There could be thread for sound upgrade ot the latest honda city on a forum called team-BHP. Why don't you check it out. If not a dedicated whole thread search the ICE section you'll definately find answers.
All the best.
Regards

Last edited:
I have a Civic and faced the same issues that you are looking to solve.

I finally opted for VibeAudio speakers and a FlyAudio amplifier (both from the same UK company with a bill and warranty) from a dealer near Milan Subway. The sound is decent but there is a momentary slight crakle when I press on the accelerator or brake which I am not able to get rid of despite the dealer trying out different things. I was told that there is always a problem with the Civic installations.
Pls check if your installer is familiar with the problems from the Civic. You may also want to check with his other Civic customers if they have a clean install.
I'm still irritated with my install but have no way out at the moment.

I still yearn for good bass as I have not fitted a sub-woofer due to the small dicky space in the civic.
Let me know what you finally choose and best wishes.

see these nagging issues will alwys be there when the y spillters etc used are not correctly connected with the OEM.

i urge all members not to try and save a few hndred ruppes and to go to better installers than milan subway
(though there are a hanful good ones there too)

I agree fully with Magma, Its probably one of my worse decisions. I fully recommend that you find a good installer.

Can anyone recommend one in Bandra (Mumbai)? I would like to get the installation redone (Anything to get the damn crakle and whine out of my car syatem :mad:)

I agree fully with Magma, Its probably one of my worse decisions. I fully recommend that you find a good installer.

Can anyone recommend one in Bandra (Mumbai)? I would like to get the installation redone (Anything to get the damn crakle and whine out of my car syatem :mad:)

Bandra!!

well that area has some good installers
meet my friend Zohir at his shop called BOOM at the end of carter road near cafe coffe day above gelato(or amore i forget )
say Ali sent you.
you will also find some mid to hi fi home music stuff there like gamut nad marantz

hes done a few neat installs on merc and the skoda superb using their stock Head units.
he does my installs as well

Last edited:
Thanks Neo and Magma for the suggestion. It so happens that I have spoken to Zohir last month whilst looking for a HIFI brand. Its good to know that he is so recommended.

I too was disappointed with the stock speakers. When I checked to see why the speakers lacked bass, I wasn't surprised, the speaker magnet was 2 cm diameter and had a height of 1.5 cm. Surely anything with that dimensions will only qualify as cheap computer speakers and surely not car speakers. I replaced those with JBL 940 and its outstanding, these JBL's really pack in the punch. Just tweaked the EQ settings on the HU and at half volume I can see the rear windscreen vibrating.
The guy who did the fitting did a great job. Even trained Honda Service guys cannot tell that the speakers are replaced. Didn't wan't to spoil the good looks of the honda delux model so he attached the speakers from underneat (in the dicky).

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back