Portable CD Players?

I did a quick search with those exact words and found nothing so thought will make a new thread for this. I am looking for a good portable Cd player, I know about the popular ones like Sony etc etc, I am ready to spend about 10k, I have Bose Noise Cancellation Head Set :yahoo: so there's no issue with the head set.

Thing is I buy lots of Cd's, I have an iPod but I am damn sure members here will appreciate the fact when I say "It sounds a lot better off Cd", I dont have a FLAC player at the moment, but thanks to this forum learnt about Cowon D2, which I'll be checking.

For the moment I need help with this. Thanks in advance :)

Kind of need help here pals.

If there's any other topic that already exists, please direct me there.

well I think people talk good about regular cdps as they have more thought given around cd playback, hence better dac, vibration control etc. Not sure if this logic can be extended to ipod vs portable cdp.
In fact, I have a portable cdp lying somewhere that I am trying to find out in all the stuff buried in my house. I initiated a search 2 weeks back but I am not able to find it yet. I am too interested in comparing portable cdp with pmp, phones etc. So let us keep in touch on this thread.

mummy is the best! She pin pointed the location and I looked in that cupboard and it took 5 mins to discover this portable cd player lying ignored for YEARS! I purchased it in 2002 at a US airport and didn't use it much after that. So I pumped in new batteries, plugged in my ep 630 ear buds and it rocked. The fm reception is also quite clean given no antenna.
It has enough oomph to drive the ear buds. With senn hd 428 bass is quite weak, I am running at full volume. I think it might just be this headphone - though now it is quite burnt in, for a couple of nights with cdp in loop. This is a portable from panasonic sl sv 550.
It is an interesting portable - at least I don't need to burn cds before trying to listen to them late at night.
The bigger find is the bag/ waist pouch that I purchased with it. It has ample space to stuff in another stuff like ear-buds, and may be a portable hp amp ;)
Also discovered a car power supply, but original headphones are not yet found. Mummy!!!!!!!!!!!!!

havent been using a portable cd player for a while but imo if you get a good sony i think it will do pretty well.

wont it be inconvenient carrying a cd player and all those cds? imo if you have a decent sized mp3 recording it'll suffice. minimum 4-5 mb a song. with the memory size of the mp3 players now a days thats still a lot of songs. there obviously will be a difference but its not so much. try it out

wont it be inconvenient carrying a cd player and all those cds? imo if you have a decent sized mp3 recording it'll suffice. minimum 4-5 mb a song. with the memory size of the mp3 players now a days thats still a lot of songs. there obviously will be a difference but its not so much. try it out

Till the time I get a portable FLAC player, I think I would not mind carrying a CDPS around, I still enjoy music off the disc than a 320kbps rip of the same in my iPod, problem with these portable mp3 players is you know you are at ease and tend to do other things together while listening to music, whereas everytime I play a Cd it has my full attention and obviously the quality of the output is much much high.

Also, there are artists who's stuff I would not mind listening to on a portable mp3 player so that baby is reserved just for those, some artists I need to sit down and let my senses flow, that's the only explanation. Also right now, I work in an other city, I'm originally from Hyderabad, so till I get back there, I need something solid to play my Cd's knowing that it wont scratch or destroy them. Once I get back I will definitely invest in a good audio system. Think I'll have an other thread here then.

I know Sony makes good CDPS (portable/otherwise), what other options do I have ?

for semi portable use within home, it is not a bad option. I haven't yet ripped my CDs but have purchased quite a few during my visits to malls etc.
I really enjoyed "history of rock" - soft rock CD last night on my cdp + headphones. The good part is that it doesn't skip even if tossed around - so it must be caching some amount of the track by reading ahead (it takes some time to start playing) into a solid state memory- so I think the requirement of a vibration proof/ sturdy casing is eliminated.
I can't claim the same (as yet) about the dac and headphone out as I haven't tried hd 650 - I tried philips and it struggled to provide decent volume to it. But it played quiet loud with the creative buds.

Hoping I would get a headphone amp for hd 650 very soon. I am also tempted to operate it to use an outboard dac, as it doesn't have a digital out.

havent been using a portable cd player for a while but imo if you get a good sony i think it will do pretty well.

Most portable CD players are available in the latest MP3 capabilities. First you need to decide weather to purchase mini or semi portable CD players so that you can determine on it. Well there are silver shiny discs available in the portable Cd players with which you can play it on the road or in the gym or anywhere. There is also online shopping for the portable CD players.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back