Portable projector screen - Also, front or rear?

superczar

Couple of questions.
Here is the use case - I picked an Optoma ML750 short throw projector for outdoor movie/game nights.
I have no intent of using it inside the house or on a fixed screen ever.
The intent is to use it in my front yard (90%) and maybe when on a holiday (10%)

Q1 - I have heard that rear projection is better for low-medium light conditions while front is better for near /complete dark situations
As the ML750ST is a LED projector, it does not hit light levels anywhere close to a lamp based projector
Given that space is not a constraint, should I look for rear screens?

Q2 - There are a few stand type screens available on amazon (IN) for 4-5K. They however appear to be suited for front projection only.
Any other sources that I should be looking at?
I am fine going the DIY route also if availability of the right material is not too difficult

As the ML750ST is a LED projector, it does not hit light levels anywhere close to a lamp based projector

No idea on rear projection screen.. Given that ML750 ST is not capable of higher brightness, a high gain (vinyl) screen should help in outdoors.. A map type screen with a stand should be portable and mount where necessary..

If you can mount the screen in place where there isn't strong light (sodium vapour lamps, brighter white LED bulbs) hitting the screen directly, vinyl screen should suffice IMO..

Got a tripod 8X6 screen locally - Some chinese make called Crystal

Does the job although it is not capable of handling wind gusts - It's windy season in Pune so I need to place it along the wind direction
Brightness and contrast at 100" are more than good so am a happy camper now.. In fact I am surprised that a tiny LED projector can get this bright as it is probably better than the detail/contrast I get on my office (lamp based) projectors

In fact I am surprised that a tiny LED projector can get this bright as it is probably better than the detail/contrast I get on my office (lamp based) projectors

I have two of the LED powered projectors, Xgimi H1 & LG PF 1500W and happen to use it with low gain screen (Spandex fabric) and it looks good after basic calibration (contrast/brightness).. I have never used lamp based projectors, but have seen them with hi-gain screen.. I prefer the LED ones..

I have two of the LED powered projectors, Xgimi H1 & LG PF 1500W and happen to use it with low gain screen (Spandex fabric) and it looks good after basic calibration (contrast/brightness).. I have never used lamp based projectors, but have seen them with hi-gain screen.. I prefer the LED ones..
I was torn between the Optoma , Anker Nebula Mars and the LG HF60 (which I believe is the current version of your LG)
I was heavily inclined towards the Nebula given that it comes with a built-in battery and my particular use-case does require a wire-free setup

However the nebula seemed to be a little too dim to be punchy while the LG was drawing close to 60W which would have meant a sub 1 hour runtime on an external battery pack

The Optoma at 30W turned out to be the compromise candidate!
Now waiting for the Pune winters to set in for an outdoor BBQ, beer and movie night :)

How is the xgimi in comparison to the LG?

I am assuming when you are playing it outdoors you are playing it in the night. I have used multiple projectors from really small to regular ones and they work ok in dark conditions and for a not so fussy audience :)

I was torn between the Optoma , Anker Nebula Mars and the LG HF60 (which I believe is the current version of your LG)
I was heavily inclined towards the Nebula given that it comes with a built-in battery and my particular use-case does require a wire-free setup

However the nebula seemed to be a little too dim to be punchy while the LG was drawing close to 60W which would have meant a sub 1 hour runtime on an external battery pack

The Optoma at 30W turned out to be the compromise candidate!
Now waiting for the Pune winters to set in for an outdoor BBQ, beer and movie night :)

Cool.. Right.. The LF HF60 seems the upgraded version of LG PF1500W..

How is the xgimi in comparison to the LG?

Since i got this at different times, i couldn't do basic calibration for both.. But did that for Xgimi H1 with Spears and Munsil disc.. While for LG PF1500W followed you tube videos..

Xgimi H1 on a low gain screen is really good.. I had added dark grey mat/carpet to my living room to cut reflection back to screen and the picture quality is more than sufficient with 50% brightness and with 18Watts LED bulbs in the room..

LG should be equally good.. Have been using it DIY grey paint on wall, in my bedroom..

My brother uses LG PF 1500 with a vinyl screen and there is boost to brightness.. I like the images on fabric (muted brightness), than on vinyl screens..

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back