ported or sealed type

brij

Hi,
I have read some reviews about ATC speaker in whats hifi nov addition, The Author says its one of the best sealed speaker one can own at this price, successors have more bass but quality,
so here my question goes to the members who have auditioned sealed type speakers ..
Does sealed speakers sound more articulated, pricise than the ported type ?
Does they fit more accurately in the definition of bass ?

Brijesh..

Hi,
I have read some reviews about ATC speaker in whats hifi nov addition, The Author says its one of the best sealed speaker one can own at this price, successors have more bass but quality,
so here my question goes to the members who have auditioned sealed type speakers ..
Does sealed speakers sound more articulated, pricise than the ported type ?
Does they fit more accurately in the definition of bass ?

Brijesh..

Hi,

Sealed speakers reproduce the music more precisely than ported ones. But they are difficult to drive than ported speakers. Also in case of sealed speakers the life of the speaker is short compared to the one in ported ones.

Thanks,
Prakash.

Hi,

Sealed speakers reproduce the music more precisely than ported ones. But they are difficult to drive than ported speakers. Also in case of sealed speakers the life of the speaker is short compared to the one in ported ones.

Thanks,
Prakash.

I beg to disagree here.
It all depends on the implementation. One design is not inherently better than the other. There are exceptional and bad examples of both in the market.

Thank you so much for the nice and detailed post cranky :) you made it close to clearer the concept of sealed and ported box.

Brijesh

i was reading "Designing, Building, and Testing Your Own Speaker System with Projects" book in google and i came across various speaker enclosures designs. But i got confused between sealed and ported enclosures when writing on the efficiency part. My apologies for that...

However i feel since the enclosure is closed (in sealed boxes) the speaker is subjected to more vibrations and coil gets damaged and life of the speaker in closed enclosure is less. This knowledge i have gained from my friend who is in to making amplifiers and speakers (local brand) on his own and selling it in market.

Thanks,
Prakash

Last edited:
Hi Cranky,

Let me take this oppertunity to ask some absolutely novice questions. But I have no shame as long as I learn.

I have an old pair of Canton Karat 60 speakers (in a thread in the amp section I have given its details in order for suggestions for a suitable amp, to see that go to http://www.hifivision.com/amplifiers/3200-amp-upgrade-canton-speakers-feasibility-study.html).

Now the speaker manual describes these speakers as bass-reflex speakers. I thought bass-reflex speakers are the ones which you are calling here the ported speakers, the ones with a hole (sometimes even on the backside). Am I wrong?

However, I did not find any hole in the speaker boxes. The boxes seem to be closed except for what appears to be a very small rectangular opening above the tweeter area.

Do you have any guess?

Now the speaker manual describes these speakers as bass-reflex speakers. I thought bass-reflex speakers are the ones which you are calling here the ported speakers, the ones with a hole (sometimes even on the backside). Am I wrong?

However, I did not find any hole in the speaker boxes. The boxes seem to be closed except for what appears to be a very small rectangular opening above the tweeter area.

Do you have any guess?

Sometimes there may be a buch of small holes (60-75 mm in dia) around the driver instead of one big port. This is referred to as a "distributed bass-reflex" design. Is there something like this?

No marsilians, as far as I can see there may at best be only one.

Cranky, thanks for the answer. If I ever get that test done, I'll let you know.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back