Possibility ₹1K worth TPA3116D2 Amplifier with ₹30K worth of good speakers

Swapping the cheapo capacitors to Nichikon has given significant improvement in SQ to quite a few people using the ChiFi amp boards. As mentioned by @superczar , rupee to rupee, there is simply nothing better for a diy setup on a budget.

there are few ICEpower modules in Aliexpress costing around 8k it has built in power supply, all you have to do is to put them in some nice cabinet . i have not used them so i cant assure you about the sound quality but if you are willing to take risk it may reward you well.

@greenhorn @sandeepss @bobbyprajan @somakmaitra @jls001

Follow-up: Today I received a pair of Wharfedale Diamond 220 speakers from Hifimart. This is my first Hi-fi device purchase. After a short unpacking pleasure, connected speakers with TPA3116D2 50Wx2+100W 2.1 Channel Digital Subwoofer Amplifier Board keeping volume at lowest level. Power supply was 12V, 3.3A - recycled from old router (I have ordered HP power supply of 90W/19V/4.74A - expecting tomorrow).

Connected chromecast audio as source and kept volume level high in it. Then slowly increased volume level in Amp, after reaching around 30% only I was able to hear some audio. It was clean, no hiss.. no tupp.. tupp... till volume level reached 70%. This is a big improvement compared to earlier experiments with old Computer SMPS 12V/2A and another random power supply. But there is no bass at all. It looks like Sub takes all lows (not connected). In general my observation is that with 12V/3.3A power supply, amp is unable to drive Wharfedale speakers (rated 25W-100W). Considering the power loss in amp, I don't think Speaker received enough juice to play in its right design range - it looks like speaker is on its lowest power level.

Hope things will improve with better power supply. Once I receive HP power supply let me try again with it and update here for record. Thanks to you all guys I learn and enjoy this new world.

Note: I don't have any quality Amp or AVR to analyze the Wharfedale Diamond 220 speaker's performance. Right now my focus is on playing with this cute cheap guy.

Congrats on the new speakers! They’re excellent sounding in the price range and one of my favourites ( I use a diamond 225)
Keep experimenting and enjoying your music :)

Congrats on the new speakers! They’re excellent sounding in the price range and one of my favourites ( I use a diamond 225)
Keep experimenting and enjoying your music :)
Thanks. Yes, they are excellent and warm. Now I understood what exactly is warm in audio world :) It is not piercing my ears. Even with this cheap Amp it works fine.

Wharfedale speakers are generally not very efficient and they shine better with powerful amplifiers. While better power supply can improve the performance a little but they always have limited bass and distortion above 50-60% of volume. These speakers deserve a better amplifier sir.

Wharfedale speakers are generally not very efficient and they shine better with powerful amplifiers. While better power supply can improve the performance a little but they always have limited bass and distortion above 50-60% of volume. These speakers deserve a better amplifier sir.
Yes, thanks. I understood that ordered Marantz PM5005 for the same. I believe it is enough to drive this speaker in 12x13 room. I consider neighbours in apartment, so don't go very high volume.

Yes, thanks. I understood that ordered Marantz PM5005 for the same. I believe it is enough to drive this speaker in 12x13 room. I consider neighbours in apartment, so don't go very high volume.

This should be a good pair. Given a chance I would have opted PM6005. High powered amp is not only for high volume but they provide decent sound in low volume especially bass is fuller. I had PM 5004 and I felt it sounded great when volume was between 10 to 12 o-clock position. Below 9 oclock i missed the punch.

This should be a good pair. Given a chance I would have opted PM6005. High powered amp is not only for high volume but they provide decent sound in low volume especially bass is fuller. I had PM 5004 and I felt it sounded great when volume was between 10 to 12 o-clock position. Below 9 oclock i missed the punch.
Yes, but budget driven decision :) Do you think it is VFM purchase? Just today I have received power supply for TPA3116D2 amp. I'll continue exploring this amp as fun hack.

Yes, but budget driven decision :) Do you think it is VFM purchase? Just today I have received power supply for TPA3116D2 amp. I'll continue exploring this amp as fun hack.

One probable reason why your bass is less could be because the 2.1 amp is doing some sort of cross over function and directing bass freqs to the sub part of the amp that you're not using with your new speakers. A regular 2.0 amp might tell a very different story.

One probable reason why your bass is less could be because the 2.1 amp is doing some sort of cross over function and directing bass freqs to the sub part of the amp that you're not using with your new speakers. A regular 2.0 amp might tell a very different story.
Yes, that is what I expected when I connected 2.0 speakers on 2.1 amp :)

Today's update: I used new HP Power suppy of 19V/4.3A. I don't hear any difference in performance of Amp. As discussed above,It looks like most of low frequency is filtered off. How to adjust cross-over in this board? I would like to get schematic for the same. With schematic I should be able to find out LPF and HPF to play with Resistor/Capacitor values which should result in better low in 2.0.

Very likely.
These el-cheapo amps can return excellent SQ but only when they are laid out as close to the design guidelines from the manufacturer.
The board you linked to seems to have a lot else going on in the signal path

Here is the reference design and board
3.jpg2.jpg

The board you have seems to have 3 extra op-amps and a bunch of RC circuits doing something.

If you are into DIY, you can trace out the L/R + input line from the 1st chip on your board (the one that drives the L/R speaker and add a single 1mF cap on the line
Alternatively , Vanilla 2channel boards of TPA3116 are ridiculously cheap now on amazon and elsewhere

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 9
Don't doubt yourself in the hobby. Get the setup going, play with it, live with it for a while.
You will begin to understand your speakers/electronics/sources/room in time.
Then you can venture into small tweaks etc.

Sound is about equipment; music is all about content.
Follow your heart to music. Don't let your brain or any of us tell you otherwise.

Cheers,
Raghu

Don't doubt yourself in the hobby. Get the setup going, play with it, live with it for a while.
You will begin to understand your speakers/electronics/sources/room in time.
Then you can venture into small tweaks etc.

Sound is about equipment; music is all about content.
Follow your heart to music. Don't let your brain or any of us tell you otherwise.

Cheers,
Raghu
oops...
Do you think it is VFM purchase?
The above question was for Marantz purchase, NOT for Amp hacks :) Thanks for encouraging words!

oops...

The above question was for Marantz purchase, NOT for Amp hacks :) Thanks for encouraging words!
My reply was for the Marantz+Wharfedale combo :)
It is a good system. Will grow on you and with your tastes in content.
Enjoy the hacking too :)
Cheers,
Raghu

Yes. It is VFM indeed. This is a very decent entry level amp from Marantz. Plus point is it also has phono input just in case you want to try TT in future. A very useful loudness button if you need more sparkle sometimes. It also has tone controls but I rarely used it and always kept them flat. Good built and looking premium.

I hope you also considered good stands for your speakers as it makes a lot of difference. Opal or Nexus stands from Sound Foundation should work great.

Yes. It is VFM indeed. This is a very decent entry level amp from Marantz. Plus point is it also has phono input just in case you want to try TT in future. A very useful loudness button if you need more sparkle sometimes. It also has tone controls but I rarely used it and always kept them flat. Good built and looking premium.

I hope you also considered good stands for your speakers as it makes a lot of difference. Opal or Nexus stands from Sound Foundation should work great.
Yes, you are right. I like loudness button a lot since I use to listen at moderate volume without disturbing neighbors. I have also ordered SF Opal stands. Hope it is firm and sturdy enough to carry bass from speaker.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back