Possible to connect coaxial out to USB DAC?

sudhirbhosale

Hi
came across few USB DACs looks impressive like NAD DAC 1. But many dont have AUX in to connect to CDP. Is is possible to overcome this by using any USB to Coax converter.
The signal type from both, I guess should be same.

Thanks

Hi
came across few USB DACs looks impressive like NAD DAC 1. But many dont have AUX in to connect to CDP. Is is possible to overcome this by using any USB to Coax converter.

Thanks

Isn't NAD Dac 1 a wireless DAC? I guess it would suit a chain where source is a Computer.

To connect a CD Player, you will have to get a DAC with a Coaxial or an Optical IN depending upon the output from the CD Player you have.

MaSh

In this case what I think you are asking for is a Coax to USB converter and not the other way around.
USB to coax converter work just fine however coax to USB is something unheard of.

For the price of NAD, I think you can go for more versatile options such as the Schiit Bifrost Multibit.

For the price of NAD, I think you can go for more versatile options such as the Schiit Bifrost Multibit.

I know this is not answering your question but I cannot not say :thumbsup: once bimby figures in a thread

ciao
gr

Hi

Thanks

Which CD player is this? I am assuming your CD player would have digital out - in the form of coax or optical. You would hook this digital out to the digital input of your DAC. Most DACs have a digital input - in the form of coax, optical, or USB. Often, all 3. In fact, without this, a DAC would not work!

The model you have chosen is a wireless only DAC. It will only accept digital input in the form of a wireless signal. Wireless DACs like this are the exception, not the norm.

Thanks all for reply.
I think I should put my question properly. There are DACs with excellent reviews and in my budget <15K. But they have only USB input. I want to connect to my CD player via Digital out.
So it there any tricky way to do that?

Thanks

I'm aware of USB to SPDIF coaxial converters but I'm not aware of the other way round, which is not to say it doesn't exist

Simple solution: if coax is important to you, do look for DAC that has coax as one of its inputs. I think such devices are fairly common now even at the budget end of the equipment spectrum (e.g. Peachtree DAC ITx which retails in India for about 23K). This will avoid one more potential device in your audio chain, and this device (to convert coax to USB) may end up degrading the overall sound, besides being another expense. If you have such a device, you will necessarily need two cables, namely, a coaxial cable from your source to the converter, then an USB cable from the converter to DAC. On the other hand if your DAC supports both USB and coax you can get away with just one cable in the chain. Theoretically, one less cable equals less degradation of the signal.

There are DACs with excellent reviews and in my budget <15K. But they have only USB input. I want to connect to my CD player via Digital out.

This is a genuine issue. The ODAC comes to mind -- probably one of the best DACs available at reasonable prices, including actual measured performance spec. But no coax/optical input.

Unfortunately, there's no answer to the problem I know of. :sad:

But they have only USB input.

Not true. Unless you are talking some DIY stuff... all DACs have standard digital inputs these days - USB, Coaxial and Toslink.

Thanks all for reply.
I think I should put my question properly. There are DACs with excellent reviews and in my budget <15K. But they have only USB input. I want to connect to my CD player via Digital out.
So it there any tricky way to do that?

Thanks

More importantly what's the CDP? Dedicated CDPs have a good DAC (for the most part), so unlikely a budget DAC will perform any better than your existing CDP.

Mention the CDP and folks can give better recommendations based on the specs.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back