Possible tripath audiophile amp in Rs1000

We bought it together as a joint experiment actually. But ya a CBU, and it's stock, unmodded. Build quality is cheap as chips. The whole thing is light as a feather. cigarette packet level of density. Didn't come with a power supply. But we ran it with a 12V 2.5A PSu that comes with the airtel digital TV set top box.

Bass and treble pots are zero to 10 (no +/-), but the sound at 0 is a bit anemic and we found that midpoint on the tone pots is when we got the most natural sound, so our guess is that it's a normal tone pot (but without the detent), which should read zero at the midpoint and -5 and +5.

We listened to a couple of tracks from Donald Fagen's Morph the Cat album....one of my favourite reference discs, as well as Michael Jackson's Thriller, and we liked what we heard. The bass was tight (especially compared to the Onkyo AVR), the sound was balanced, and there seemed to a surprising amount of dynamic range. The mids also seemed to natural and fluid. (Again, i reserve my final detailed comments till I hear it on my speakers) These were floorstanding speakers in a pretty large room (20' by 15') and we achieved eminently listenable, foot-tapping volume with this baby. I can only imagine what the mods can achieve.

End of this month the amp will come to Chennai and I'll compare it with my NAD C320BEE. Does anyone want to bring along a budget amp to my house to do a shootout?

And gruby, you're coming for the Hammerfall concert (Saarang)? My friend is coming for that and bringing the amp with him. We could do a listen before or after the concert.

Hey Psych, did your friend buy it as a CBU or a DIY kit?

And gruby, you're coming for the Hammerfall concert (Saarang)? My friend is coming for that and bringing the amp with him. We could do a listen before or after the concert.

Dude, almost forgot Saarang! What date is the show, I just might be able to make it AND check the amp and your speakers out as well. :D

I found this on ebay: eBay India: High Quality Linear Power Supply (item 280449794986 end time 18-Jan-2010 08:23:06 IST)

The specs seem about right. However I havent tried it and have no idea how it works. The seller is the same one I bought my first T-Amp from and a couple of other things since. You can check with him if it works with the t-amp.

Personally, I'm using a switching power supply for my current t-amp build. As long as the switching rate is high enough, SQ remains practically intact (some of the new age class D amps like Nuforce use switching supplies).

The problem with standard wall-wart type supplies is that they quite often unregulated.

Thanks for that Jai. Let me first try it out with my SMPS and see if i can make out any audible noise. If I can make out anything at all, I might take the plunge and go for this linear PSU.

How do these things work? Just because it is that Priyesh chap I am a bit concerned. If he's claiming it's a linear power supply, do you think it is reasonable to believe that you will get a linear power supply ?

I'd asked him about the details of the power supply. He mentioned that its based on LM1084 , which is used in some linear power supply designs on ebay.com and a couple of DIY stores.

My dealings with Priyesh have been pretty good. I've custom ordered a couple of things from him (a TA2022 based amp and a simple op-amp based preamp) and he's delivered as promised.

Just bumping this a bit, to see if i can get some answers on the power supply.

Linear PSU is simple ,with 1 transformer with few diodes and few capacitors you can make one.

For 12 V regulated I have some schematics , uses japanese transistors etc ..

provided you like to do it diy way you can build itz easy .Grab a toroidal from Miracle .Use the Elna Silmic capacitors ( Black gate replacement).
Modding is systematically explained here :http://forum.lowyat.net/topic/855281

Last edited:
I am a DIY virgin. Not even touched a soldering iron ever. And don't have much of a clue about this stuff. Thanks for this stuff anyway. I am hopeful that somewhere along the way I am going to venture into DIY, with the able help and guidance of people like you, and others on HFV.

Linear PSU is simple ,with 1 transformer with few diodes and few capacitors you can make one.

For 12 V regulated I have some schematics , uses japanese transistors etc ..

provided you like to do it diy way you can build itz easy .Grab a toroidal from Miracle .Use the Elna Silmic capacitors ( Black gate replacement).
Modding is systematically explained here :T-Amp User V2, ta2020 at page 21!

That's encouraging, but of course, also makes it even stranger that he is so rude and aggressive with his prospective customers!

I'd asked him about the details of the power supply. He mentioned that its based on LM1084 , which is used in some linear power supply designs on ebay.com and a couple of DIY stores.

My dealings with Priyesh have been pretty good. I've custom ordered a couple of things from him (a TA2022 based amp and a simple op-amp based preamp) and he's delivered as promised.

The ebay supply looks good for the price ... just have a chat on what type of transformer and components are inside .

Ask a mechanic to make one simple PSU for you , just see this Things that you will need...

The 7812 is not needed (it cant source that high current,we will make unreg. PSU for now )

Once you decide i will give a final ckt with component list.

sorry man, friend brought Lepai, didn't bring power supply, and with my 12V, 1A power supply from my netgear router it didn't seem to produce any sound. Didn't feel like buying a power supply just for the test, so the test didn't happen.

Hopefully should get my hands on the Topping soon, and will report with findings.

Psychotropic, did you get to check out the lepai with your ushers?

sorry man, friend brought Lepai, didn't bring power supply, and with my 12V, 1A power supply from my netgear router it didn't seem to produce any sound. Didn't feel like buying a power supply just for the test, so the test didn't happen.

Hopefully should get my hands on the Topping soon, and will report with findings.

Sheesh, that was quite unfortunate. Thanks for trying anyways.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back