Power Amplifier for Hifiman Susvara

ZzZzZ

Can someone suggest a stand alone power amplifier (my DAC has pre-amp functionality) for driving Hifiman Susvara available in India and within 1.5L budget range ?
Has anyone used any Indian made power amplifiers with Susvara ?
For purely loudspeaker folks cursing me to ask for power amp for a headphone the explanation is that it's usually said on various western forum that for Hifiman Susvara the best sound is achieved using banana power of a clean power amplifier as it's fairly hard to drive planar and require a good amount of current to shine.

Wow...., I would not have expected ever to connect a headphone to a speaker power amp.
I am in the process of researching for a headphone amp myself for my Hifiman Edition XS, my budget of course is much smaller. The XS need some warmth, I dont really want to go the tube rout though.
The Schiit Jotunheim is something I am considering among a few others.

Wow...., I would not have expected ever to connect a headphone to a speaker power amp.
I am in the process of researching for a headphone amp myself for my Hifiman Edition XS, my budget of course is much smaller. The XS need some warmth, I dont really want to go the tube rout though.
The Schiit Jotunheim is something I am considering among a few others.
Have you considered Hifiman EF400 ?

Can someone suggest a stand alone power amplifier (my DAC has pre-amp functionality) for driving Hifiman Susvara available in India and within 1.5L budget range ?
For purely loudspeaker folks cursing me to ask for power amp for a headphone the explanation is that it's usually said on various western forum that for Hifiman Susvara the best sound is achieved using banana power of a clean power amplifier as it's fairly hard to drive planar and require a good amount of current to shine.
You should try a pure class A amplifier pumping close to 20/25w. That’s gonna be very good.
Why not look at Firstwatt Amps ?

Regards,
Som

Last edited:
You would want to write to Hifiman directly to find out if this is a good route. They would also suggest options. A 1.5l budget is very healthy budget for a matched dedicated built for the purpose headphone amp.

Btw a good OTL headphone amp may do well.

Initially I thought a full power Amp for headphones is kind of overkill, but after going through Viren ji's response (https://www.hifivision.com/threads/lyrita-audios-headphone-amp.17706/post-1006009) it seems your inclination towards regular power amp is indeed logical

Have you considered Hifiman EF400 ?
I have but there seems to be some quality control issues with them, can not say for certain but some people seem to think so.
Also there are not many reviews available for the EF400 yet, preferably would like to get a few more opinions before I decide on it.

Initially I thought a full power Amp for headphones is kind of overkill, but after going through Viren ji's response (https://www.hifivision.com/threads/lyrita-audios-headphone-amp.17706/post-1006009) it seems your inclination towards regular power amp is
You should try a pure class A amplifier pumping close to 20/25w. That’s gonna be very good.
Why not look at Firstwatt Amps ?

Regards,
Som
Isnt there a safety issue of sorts here ?

BTW if I remember right There is a project listed on Rod elliots website on how to convert a power amp to use with headphones.

BTW if I remember right There is a project listed on Rod elliots website on how to convert a power amp to use with headphones.
Actually when volume is kept upto a sensible level on a power amplifier with insensitive planar headphones like Susvara there is minimal to none safety issue.

Actually when volume is kept upto a sensible level on a power amplifier with insensitive planar headphones like Susvara there is minimal to none safety issue.
The key word is sensible. Whoever wants to do this pls stay safe.

You can check out GSX mini in that budget, or maybe pick up a Susy Dynahi or CFA3 (~2L) to get best of the best. Avoid Burson soloist, its quite soft sounding and may not pair well with Susvara.

You can check out GSX mini in that budget, or maybe pick up a Susy Dynahi or CFA3 (~2L) to get best of the best. Avoid Burson soloist, its quite soft sounding and may not pair well with Susvara.
Glad to hear the word KG CFA3. Where in India one could get a KG CFA3 ?

Glad to hear the word KG CFA3. Where in India one could get a KG CFA3 ?
You cant, I dont think anyone is building in India. Best option is Dukei (head-fi user) who is doing custom builds in Europe. One of builders from head-case launched his company and he plans to bring commercial version of CFA3.

Recently I got to try Benchmark AHB2, it was pretty good with HE6se which has similar power requirements as Susvara. Clean, balanced sound but not edgy of thin sounding like most of THX amps I have tried. Even worked with my bookshelves, which made me look for higher powered amps now to drive them. :)

Recently I got to try Benchmark AHB2, it was pretty good with HE6se which has similar power requirements as Susvara. Clean, balanced sound but not edgy of thin sounding like most of THX amps I have tried. Even worked with my bookshelves, which made me look for higher powered amps now to drive them. :)
Is Benchmark AHB2 available in India?

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back