Power Amplifier Quad 606

S. Basu

I am Soumyajit from Kolkata, I glad to inform you that after took lot of audition of different amplifier and as well as suggestion, finally I have decided and bought a Power Amplifier Quad 606 for my BS Speaker Focal Chorus 706s.

I bought it from a person of Kochi, I got his information from one of our hifi vision member. But i have bad impression with this amp. I revived the amp on 10th Dec 16 and after connected with power I immediate I notice a humming sound coming into the amp and amp is little vibrating. I contact with the buyer he replied me that "it's not a big issue it's a manufacturing defect and not effected the speaker or set up". but the sound is very annoying.

Now i need your suggestion, is it true, it's not a big problem? How can i resolve this problem.

My next question and suggestion required from you if I upgrade it MK II version, is it worthiness? How much i expected sound improvement.

Lastly I am using it with SYS Passive Pre Amplifier for temporary basis, I want to upgrade my pre amp. What will be the best choice.

Plz suggest me.

Last edited:
Connect it to different wall socket or keep the amplifier on the floor , power on and check.

The transformer is either old, damaged in transportation and wont be fixed unless replaced in my opinion. If the cosmetic condition was not good, then u can suspect some damage during transportation.

Quad 606 is a good power amp.But it seems to be amplifier may be malfunctioned with bad servicing or might be loose contact during shipping,otherwise it will not vibrate.Get help of a good technician and check if something bad inside the power amp.My recommendation is do not upgrade now.

"manufacturing defect" that is stupid answer he dont know anything about the amplifier

Also please don't connect speaker to the amp check it with technician first.The amp may have two issues

1. Oscillation might be if yes it will damage your tweeter
2. DC offset if its hi than 1 mv then it will damage your entire speaker drivers badly.

So get help of an technician first

Back