Power backup for Benq W1070

rocknrolla

Hi,

I had plugged in my new PJ to the A/C power source and watched movies for a good 3 hours. Then suddenly the power went off and the PJ got shut down. When the power came back, I fired up the PJ and a red light started flashing for Lamp! :sad: I rushed through the manual and found this..
Red.jpg
..and my heart stopped for a second there! :sad:

But after two minutes, the PJ started normally and everything was fine. I hooked it up to my PC UPS (APC 550V UPS) and I thought I fixed it. Yesterday, I was watching the movie and my brother accidentally turned off the switch, the UPS was connected to. The PJ got shut down and the UPS was making the beep sound. I fired up the PJ and the same red light flashed for 2 mins and everything was fine after. I am sure this cannot go on. I read over the internet and seen other people experience the same. Correct me if I am wrong but I guess the red flashing was indicating that the lamp is cooling off. I don't want to experience this one more time. Please advice on what power backup to buy for my Benq W1070.

Sorry for the long post. Thanks in advance.

rocknrolla

Do not use PC UPS.
Buy an appropriate UPS from APS (or) Exide. If your projector lamp high mode is 200W then buy a UPS which can support 250W to 300W continuously for 3 to 5 minutes.

what do you mean "not a PC UPS"? where do I find these and what do I ask for when I visit such shops? could you share an ebay link or something?

Please bear with my stupid questions? :sad: really appreciate your help!

If lamp power is around 250-300 watts then you need a 1KVA ups. In best case you should buy a pure sinewave ups which would set you back by approx 18k. PC ups are non sinewave/ stepped up sinewave and generally not recommended for such equipment. But if you need the backup for a few mins or maybe occasionally and don't want to buy a pure sinewave ups then you can buy a pc ups ; for instance apc 1100va would cost approx 6k.

I have a standard APC UPS of 600watts for my Epson 8350 (i think it consumes 350 watts) for the last 2 years. Paid Rs.2800. Works great. Only issue if power is off for 4 hour spells like the summer powercuts in Hyd., then the time the back up power lasts is only 3 minutes or so. However I have one outlet in my music room that is connected to whole house UPS, so I have connected the APC to that and it works great. You may want to buy a higher rated UPS perhaps 1.1kva as suggested in previous post.
Cheers,
Sid

From google, I have seen Benq W1070 is 240W + 10W speaker. (Total 250W)
For 250W , 500VA ups will support 250W only for a second and immediately the watt power will reduce. so, you need to consider to buy a 600VA (or) 700VA ups to support your projector atleast 4 to 5 minutes.

Do not use PC UPS.
Buy an appropriate UPS from APS (or) Exide. If your projector lamp high mode is 200W then buy a UPS which can support 250W to 300W continuously for 3 to 5 minutes.

I have recently bought an Optoma HD131xe and also looking for a UPS. Don't understand if we can use 45k-60k computers on so called "PC UPS's" then why cant we use them for our PJ's, when we will require is max 2-5 mins for the bulb to cool and shutdown. Is PC electronics less sensitive than PJ's? Bit confused

For my optoma HD20, I was in a similar dilemma and i've posted a thread here

http://www.hifivision.com/home-theatre-projectors-screens/31173-apc-ups-optoma-hd20-not-working.html

Becuase of the time delay in your current UPS, you are facing this issue.

You do not have to buy expensive UPS. Just make sure to check the ups + PJ combination before you buy. for PJ with 250w power, around 400W UPS should be good enough. I would recommend APC as they will be flexible to test your PJ and also suggest models accordingly. Mine costed around 5.8k.

I have recently bought an Optoma HD131xe and also looking for a UPS. Don't understand if we can use 45k-60k computers on so called "PC UPS's" then why cant we use them for our PJ's, when we will require is max 2-5 mins for the bulb to cool and shutdown. Is PC electronics less sensitive than PJ's? Bit confused

UPS capacity needs to supply required power which is consumed by the electronic goods loaded on them. That will be labled as n-VA in the UPS.
If your UPS is labled as 500VA, sure you can use till max 250 watts load. But the UPS can support 250 watts only for one second and the out put power will reduce after that.(Continuous discharge from battery). That is why his UPS started beep sound immediately when the power goes down. Please go to APS site, it will ask watts usage requirement, then it will list UPS with the time (minutes) support for that watts.

Note: In general the UPS provided as Free bees along with computers are less powered. If it it LCD computer monitor, it is even less power.

If you can spend 18K then go for Emerson Liebert 1KV online UPS. I have the same but with external batteries and just to give you an idea of its power handling capacity I am running 40" LED, AVR, Subwoofer, DTH and HTPC.

Thanks for all the replies. I was out of town and could not reply.
I do not think I could spend 20k on an UPS. I did some googling and came across this
Buy APC Home UPS, 1000VA, Sine wave output - Technical Specifications and Information | APC

not sure what this means "Battery Type No internal battery - uses external battery system". I have to buy a battery separately?

The price is 8k. What do you guys think? Can I buy this? Thanks again.

This is basically a home inverter or you can call it a home ups. Yes, you have to buy batteries separately. Batteries alone would set you back by 16k min.This is meant for situations where power backup is required for an extended period of time i.e 4-8 hours.

You can look at
http://www.apc.com/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=BR1100CI

I am using it for my epson TW- 6100. Works fine , i require backup for a maximum of 2 mins.Although it can provide backup for 10 mins or more. Paid Rs.5,700.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back