Pre-Out Main-In Help With AVR And Amps

anirudhchandrashekar

Hi all. I had a question. What would be the scenario if this is the case:

HTPC puts out signal via USB to DAC.
The analog outs of the DAC goes into Onkyo AVRs input. (Onkyo powers the center, surrounds and a sub via pre-out)

(So the AVR handles everything apart from Fronts)

Now, I'd take the front pre-outs from the AVR to plug it into the Main in port on an Integrated Amp (Marantz PM7001).

Then the chain continues with the pre-out of the marantz to a power amp which handles the LF of my fronts.

The high frequencies however will be used from speaker terminals of the Marantz Integrated (As I prefer the sound of the Marantz for the HF than the AVR or the power amp)

My question is: Can this be done? If yes, then where is the volume control for this entire circuit? AVR?

( Not sure if we can actually take pre-out from the Marantz integrated and plug in the Mains in at the same time)

I am using this setup for stereo listening and home theater as well.

My end goal is simple - To bi-amp and split the handling of LF and HF for my front mains into 2 separate amps while the Onkyo AVR handles everything else.

(Can this be done with still having volume control in the AVR and on the integrated amp as well) Because the integrated amp handles the highs which need to level match with the lows on the power amp)

I am not planning to try any of these and risk blowing something up. Hence,looking for insight from the gurus here.

Now, I'd take the front pre-outs from the AVR to plug it into the Main in port on an Integrated Amp (Marantz PM7001).

Then the chain continues with the pre-out of the marantz to a power amp which handles the LF of my fronts.

I think, when you remove the jumpers on the stereo integrated amplifier, Marantz PM 7001. it is only used as a power amplifier. Don't think the pre-out section of the Marantz PM 7001 would be active, as it doesn't receive any signal..

But, if you can use single RCA to dual RCA adapter on the Onkyo AVR front Pre-outs, then you can connect Marantz as power amp to handle highs and an other amp to drive the lows.. I haven't tried this. But it should work, as it is same as subwoofer pre-out logic..

My end goal is simple - To bi-amp and split the handling of LF and HF for my front mains into 2 separate amps while the Onkyo AVR handles everything else.

Best would be run all the speaker as "Small" and route the lows to subwoofer (Either active or passive subs)..

@elangoas True. Maybe just take a Y connection from AVR out to use for 2 separate power amps.

Well even if I do that, how do I gain match between the amps? Considering one of the amps come with gain control and the other doesn't (By the other, I mean if you use main-in as per how it works then it wouldn't let me use volume controls)

So, just play around with the gain on just one amp to match it with the other?

@elangoas True. Maybe just take a Y connection from AVR out to use for 2 separate power amps.

Well even if I do that, how do I gain match between the amps? Considering one of the amps come with gain control and the other doesn't (By the other, I mean if you use main-in as per how it works then it wouldn't let me use volume controls)

So, just play around with the gain on just one amp to match it with the other?

Usually the amp powering the low freq drivers would need more power than that of mids/tweeter.. So in that regard use the powerful amp for bass driver and the lesser powerful for the mids/tweeter section.. Assuming there wouldn't be a significant difference in gain between the two power amplifiers, i think you can overlook this aspect.. I think you can set the gain to full on one of the aval amps.

Usually the amp powering the low freq drivers would need more power than that of mids/tweeter.. So in that regard use the powerful amp for bass driver and the lesser powerful for the mids/tweeter section.. Assuming there wouldn't be a significant difference in gain between the two power amplifiers, i think you can overlook this aspect.. I think you can set the gain to full on one of the aval amps.

What do you think about using an Integrated amp with HT Bypass? As as per the PM8005, it should remove the entire gain stage of the pre section from the Marantz and just put out 100% power to whatever connected to the terminals of the 8005. Maybe this can be used for powering the HF.

And using a Y cable from the receiver directly to another power amp (with gain knobs) to drive the LF.

This way I will get the marantz sound to the highs, match the gain in between both amps and let the other amp drive the LF.

Will this work?

What do you think about using an Integrated amp with HT Bypass?

I haven't used an int amp with that feature, so not much clarity on that..

As as per the PM8005, it should remove the entire gain stage of the pre section from the Marantz and just put out 100% power to whatever connected to the terminals of the 8005. Maybe this can be used for powering the HF.

Yes Right.. Per the manual, it says to press & hold the "power amp in" button for 3 seconds, so it fully acts as power amplifier, defeating all the pre-amp controls..

This way I will get the marantz sound to the highs, match the gain in between both amps and let the other amp drive the LF.
Will this work?

It should work..

BTW do you have both PM 7001 and 8005?..

This is how my htpc is currently hooked to the V4. Htpc via usb to dac to the v4. I control the volume in foobar. However, this is a stop gap solution till I get a proper preamp. The htpc via HDMI is connected to receiver which is connected to the V4. Here the receiver is the preamp.

MaSh

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back