Pre-used turntable in Bangalore

sho

Hey,

I am new to the vinyl world. I have been thinking about having a turntable setup for a long time. Most TTs I see are way beyond my budget. I realised, by reading on this forum itself, that it might be a good idea to get a pre-used TT and get my hand-into it. Some points to note

- I have never had a vinyl player/turntable
- Music taste - Indian Classical, Ghazal, Thumri, Qawwali. Sometimes jazz and rock too.
- I have Edifier Rt1280 speakers and no phono amp
- A slightly warm sound with good soundstage makes me happy
- Budget for pre-used is ~12-15k

By this post I am looking for 2 things, a suitable TT recommendation and a lead where I can purchase a pre-used TT in Bangalore.

I understand that you are a newbie looking for an affordable pre-owned turntable. It is possible to get a decent turntable for less than 15k. Brands like Pioneer, Technics can be considered. Occasionally, few are listed on the Classifieds section in here. Perhaps, you can start a 'Wanted' thread in Classifieds. You can contact @shafic He might have few. (I myself have purchased a Pioneer turntable over six years ago, for 6k. I'm still using it).

Since you are new in this, I wouldn't recommend approaching local antique shops or Olx. There might be issues with the device that you don't know about. Or it might breakdown later on (a risk with any pre-owned gear).

You also need a good phono preamp (unless you have an amplifier that has built-in phono section). A decent one is CNC phono stage.

Get a TT with an inbuilt phono so that you can connect that TT to your Edifier speaker using an RCA. You can also buy a CNC phono later. I think in your budget you can get a pre owned Audiotechnica LP 60 or Denon which has an inbuilt phono. Before purchasing a TT do read a bit about it. You can get so much valuable info about turntables if you read different threads on this forum.

Hey,

I am new to the vinyl world. I have been thinking about having a turntable setup for a long time. Most TTs I see are way beyond my budget. I realised, by reading on this forum itself, that it might be a good idea to get a pre-used TT and get my hand-into it. Some points to note

- Music taste - Indian Classical, Ghazal, Thumri, Qawwali. Sometimes jazz and rock too.

By this post I am looking for 2 things, a suitable TT recommendation and a lead where I can purchase a pre-used TT in Bangalore.
I was looking for one key bullet in your list - comfort with electronics and mechanical DIY, knowledge of electronics, etc. If you have this attribute, then honestly speaking your options increase exponentially. If not, still its not a big worry, except that you have to be a bit more prudent with your choices and do a lot of online reading.

Another key factor is your record library or planned collection. There are factors like used vs new, non-indian vs indian pressing, source of used records (if buying used), type of cartridge you either get with the turntable or buy separately, phonostage - either external or internal (to the TT or amp), etc.

Your budget is a good one. Usually (thanks to ebay), indian sellers over price TTs and have now learnt tricks like selling TTs without the headshell and cartridge, including cartridges without stylus, etc. For starters, always buy a TT with a cartridge and working stylus so all you'd need to do is plug it in and play. I always advise those who start to avoid idler drive type turntables as these are likely to be old and need to be fully restored. Belt drive turntable are tricky too. Always check with the forum members about the model before buying it. Most of the modern plastic belt drive turntables in your budget range are essentially rubbish so dont waste money on them. They look shiney and seem easy to operate (being essentially automatic) but very soon you'll start noticing their deficiencies. For a first timer, a direct drive turntable is always a great starting point. There are many available in this segment. The best of course is Technics and hence you'd find Technics turntables priced rather highly (remember to look for the headshell, cartridge and stylus inclusion) but there are some other direct drives from the likes of Sony, Akai, Pioneer, JVC, Kenwood, Hitachi, etc that are really good and can be bought cheap as they dont command as much resale value as Technics. Pioneer made some good belt drive turntables as well like the PL12 so if you get these, even these could be a good investment (remember the belt is expensive to buy online so ensure that you get a good belt and not a patched or tight one). If buying Indian direct drives like Cosmic, Sonodyne, etc you will have to get it fully recapped for better speed accuracy and performance.

Regarding availability, there are so many available on olx especially in and around bangalore but whenever buying used, always take a knowledgeable person with you and audition. Always enquire the history and also keep an eye on the demography of the seller. The best equipment is always bought used from enthusiasts who are upgrading or enthusiasts who are genuine collectors of good equipment. You'd usually end up with either pristine or well maintained equipment. In my opinion, the demography to be avoided is the seller who masquerades as an enthusiast, they are often famous for leveraging parts, replacing parts with damaged or worn ones, patching broken parts and putting them in turntables that they sell. A seller of used electronics is not bad if you know or get a reference from an existing customer of the person. They usually have good stuff or good repairable stuff, however likely to be overpriced. A knowledgeable eye can help you easily deal with them.

All the very best!

I was looking for one key bullet in your list - comfort with electronics and mechanical DIY, knowledge of electronics, etc. If you have this attribute, then honestly speaking your options increase exponentially. If not, still its not a big worry, except that you have to be a bit more prudent with your choices and do a lot of online reading.

Another key factor is your record library or planned collection. There are factors like used vs new, non-indian vs indian pressing, source of used records (if buying used), type of cartridge you either get with the turntable or buy separately, phonostage - either external or internal (to the TT or amp), etc.

Your budget is a good one. Usually (thanks to ebay), indian sellers over price TTs and have now learnt tricks like selling TTs without the headshell and cartridge, including cartridges without stylus, etc. For starters, always buy a TT with a cartridge and working stylus so all you'd need to do is plug it in and play. I always advise those who start to avoid idler drive type turntables as these are likely to be old and need to be fully restored. Belt drive turntable are tricky too. Always check with the forum members about the model before buying it. Most of the modern plastic belt drive turntables in your budget range are essentially rubbish so dont waste money on them. They look shiney and seem easy to operate (being essentially automatic) but very soon you'll start noticing their deficiencies. For a first timer, a direct drive turntable is always a great starting point. There are many available in this segment. The best of course is Technics and hence you'd find Technics turntables priced rather highly (remember to look for the headshell, cartridge and stylus inclusion) but there are some other direct drives from the likes of Sony, Akai, Pioneer, JVC, Kenwood, Hitachi, etc that are really good and can be bought cheap as they dont command as much resale value as Technics. Pioneer made some good belt drive turntables as well like the PL12 so if you get these, even these could be a good investment (remember the belt is expensive to buy online so ensure that you get a good belt and not a patched or tight one). If buying Indian direct drives like Cosmic, Sonodyne, etc you will have to get it fully recapped for better speed accuracy and performance.

Regarding availability, there are so many available on olx especially in and around bangalore but whenever buying used, always take a knowledgeable person with you and audition. Always enquire the history and also keep an eye on the demography of the seller. The best equipment is always bought used from enthusiasts who are upgrading or enthusiasts who are genuine collectors of good equipment. You'd usually end up with either pristine or well maintained equipment. In my opinion, the demography to be avoided is the seller who masquerades as an enthusiast, they are often famous for leveraging parts, replacing parts with damaged or worn ones, patching broken parts and putting them in turntables that they sell. A seller of used electronics is not bad if you know or get a reference from an existing customer of the person. They usually have good stuff or good repairable stuff, however likely to be overpriced. A knowledgeable eye can help you easily deal with them.

All the very best!
Thanks for taking time out to reply.

I don't have much experience with electronics and mechanical parts but I can learn. I am familiar with the basics, thanks to engineering college :D

I couldn't find any availability on olx. I am hoping to find an enthusiast from this forum who would like to sell.

Why not buy a new denon dp 29 turntable? They are available for between Rs 12k to 15k online. You can check Amazon or the revolver club or some other online audio dealers website and get the best deal. The only issue with this tt is that I don't think the cartridge can be replaced although the stylus probably can be changed ( you can confirm with the dealer) I suggest buying a new tt instead of used in your budget. Vintage electronics aren't as good as most people think especially with Tts which are relatively simple products.

Thanks for taking time out to reply.

I don't have much experience with electronics and mechanical parts but I can learn. I am familiar with the basics, thanks to engineering college :D

I couldn't find any availability on olx. I am hoping to find an enthusiast from this forum who would like to sell.
turntables are simple but precision devices, a little experience with them combined with online reading will make you an expert after about a year of indulgence :)

Hey,

R you interested in buying made in Germany turntable, brand name trones around 2 to 3 year old, available in Bangalore,

R you interested in buying made in Germany turntable, brand name trones around 2 to 3 year old, available in Bangalore,

Are you referring to Thorens? Although it wasn't on my list. But please send me details of it along with price and photos so that I can evaluate.

I must also mention (if not already mentioned above) - i have come across many who look out for particular brands when it comes to used turntables. I must alert you to the fact that almost all turntable brands have flag-ship products, high performance products and at the same time, average or below par products. So don't go with just the brand but enquire about the model number and do some online research on that particular model before proceeding. For example, Technics has a large range of turntables, when you find the letter 'Q" in the model number of the older decks, it means that it is Quartz controlled whereas the rest are Servo controlled. The platter weight can be different for some models (heavier platter is considered better theoretically). The tonearm on some Technics direct drive models is straight and these are the not so desirable models. The ones with the S-arm are desirable and tend to perform better. Then if you notice a "B" in the model number, then its a belt drive turntable from Technics. Moral of the story, get the model number and research further. The brand name does not say it all.

I must also mention (if not already mentioned above) - i have come across many who look out for particular brands when it comes to used turntables. I must alert you to the fact that almost all turntable brands have flag-ship products, high performance products and at the same time, average or below par products. So don't go with just the brand but enquire about the model number and do some online research on that particular model before proceeding. For example, Technics has a large range of turntables, when you find the letter 'Q" in the model number of the older decks, it means that it is Quartz controlled whereas the rest are Servo controlled. The platter weight can be different for some models (heavier platter is considered better theoretically). The tonearm on some Technics direct drive models is straight and these are the not so desirable models. The ones with the S-arm are desirable and tend to perform better. Then if you notice a "B" in the model number, then its a belt drive turntable from Technics. Moral of the story, get the model number and research further. The brand name does not say it all.

Good suggestion. Thank you!

All the very best!
Thanks for the beautiful and honest advice, really appreciate it, it would help me too

From 2021 to 2023, all electronic items have become more expensive and models have changed. However, Rega P1, Project Essential and Debut, Denon DP29 F and AudioTechnica LP 60 are still good choices for a beginner,albeit at higher prices. So do choose your pick after due diligence and budget considerations.

Hello Everyone,

I am planning a turn table set up in my living room. I have Dali Oberon 1 speaker pair which I am planning to re-purpose for the set up.

About me: Never used vinyl player, the motivation is to i) initiate my journey and ii) aesthetics for my living room.
Music: I typically listen to Rock / Grunge (Nirvana, Henderix, Morrisson, Dire straits, Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, metallica), old hindi (Rafi, Asha bhonsle) and Ghazals.

Looking for a vintage TT in good condition.
1. Direct drive
2. Will I need a pre-amp?
3. Is there a good vintage model with auto stop or auto return?

Thanks for reading and replying.

Chetan

Hello Everyone,

I am planning a turn table set up in my living room. I have Dali Oberon 1 speaker pair which I am planning to re-purpose for the set up.

About me: Never used vinyl player, the motivation is to i) initiate my journey and ii) aesthetics for my living room.
Music: I typically listen to Rock / Grunge (Nirvana, Henderix, Morrisson, Dire straits, Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, metallica), old hindi (Rafi, Asha bhonsle) and Ghazals.

Looking for a vintage TT in good condition.
1. Direct drive
2. Will I need a pre-amp?
3. Is there a good vintage model with auto stop or auto return?

Thanks for reading and replying.

Chetan
my thoughts:

1. Direct drive - best option, safe option, accurate option, easiest to maintain.
2. Will I need a pre-amp? - yes, you will need a phono preamp but only if (1) the TT of your choice does not have an inbuilt one or (2) the amplifier which you plan to use, does not have an inbuilt one either.
3. Is there a good vintage model with auto stop or auto return? - most of the Japanese models were good but Technics stands out, would be hard to come across a used one in good condition though

from an aesthetics perspective, technics is up there with the best (and folks who know their TTs will respect you for owning one :cool:)

Apart what what Reuben has suggested, why don't you put up a Wanted Thread here on the forum for a vintage turntable.

A Technics DD would be perfect.

PS: I'm a huge Technics Turntable fan :)

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back