Preamplifier..Any suggestions ?

brejeshvarma

Dear friends

At present I am using Audiolab 8000c as the preamp .I have biamped with Cyrus 8vs for tweeters and Aragon 2002 For woofer mid range.I am using Focal JM lab Cobalt 806 bookshelf speakers.I am thinking of changing the preamp. I listen to lot of Indian Classical s (Both versions),Bhajans,Old film music,Ghazals,selected Western..country songs ...I will like my music to be richer,smoother and more detailed...

Any suggestions ?

Dear friends

At present I am using Audiolab 8000c as the preamp .I have biamped with Cyrus 8vs for tweeters and Aragon 2002 For woofer mid range.I am using Focal JM lab Cobalt 806 bookshelf speakers.I am thinking of changing the preamp. I listen to lot of Indian Classical s (Both versions),Bhajans,Old film music,Ghazals,selected Western..country songs ...I will like my music to be richer,smoother and more detailed...

Any suggestions ?

Hi
I am curious, can you tell me how you have bi-amped? How are you taking the two outputs to the two different amps and how have you done gain/level matching (since they are different amps)

thanks
sridhar

Dear friends

Any suggestions ?

If you can land one, I strongly recommend Outlaw Audio 990 preamp. One of the best in the business and very supportive of your musical tastes. I have somewhat similar tastes and use one and have been very thrilled with it. This replaced a AVR and amp combo as I went into full separates and have been very thrilled with it. While it supports DVI (instead of HDMI) for video switching, it serves my need adequately as I do not see HDMI audio or sources being commonly available for next 3 - 5 yrs timeframe.

Hi
I am curious, can you tell me how you have bi-amped? How are you taking the two outputs to the two different amps and how have you done gain/level matching (since they are different amps)

thanks
sridhar

Hi Sridhar,

From my preamp which s having 2 preamp outs ,Ist set is going to Aragon,2nd to Cyrus8Vs which is an integrated amplifier.In fact its all by trial and error and listening ,that i have done the adjustments.No other things have been done for level matching.Since I have a collection of old recordings (CD's converted From LP's and all)..some sound very harsh at times.It was the suggestion of one of my audiophile friends that in case you need you can reduce the volume of the tweeter..(Of course ..he has tried and succeeded).Thats why I went for Cyrus integrated amp instead of Cyrus power amp.Most of the time I keep Cyrus vol.at 2'O Clock and its working !

Thanks! thats what I figured that your pre would need two outputs..which means that your new pre (should you want to go the same way) would need two outputs as well...

cheers

sorry. just noticed 'kerala'.

but then, the best option for you would be Jacob/Rethm (cochin). they are planning to come out with tube amps. their speaker line up is already xlnt.

Lyritas are nice but I think shifting from an audiolabs to a lyrita would probably be a step backwards. I have a lyrita too and out of the box, it was fine but since then it has become my primary system bottleneck after I upgraded my speakers and source. Now I've heavily modified it with better parts and sounds way way better than what it sounded like out of the box. No doubt its very very good for the little money one pays. However I'd not call it high-end by any stretch of imagination. Need to upgrade to something new soon - probably a Shindo :).

I only play digital sources these days, so I use my DAC as a preamp when it is stereo material. I got a couple of preamps collecting dust because of that.

I only play digital sources these days, so I use my DAC as a preamp when it is stereo material. I got a couple of preamps collecting dust because of that.

Well it would be this poor, music lover's pleasure to dust these preamps and make use of it ... would you mind shipping it to me pal :D

Cheers,
Ramesh @ Bangalore

Back