Preamplifier for marantz MM7025 power amplifier

rdevakumar

Hi,

My current setup is "Multiple digital sources -> Schiit Bifrost -> Marantz PM5004 -> KEF Q300". I want to upgrade the amplifier and speakers one by one. To start, planning to go with pre+power amp instead of integrated one (no specific reason for this, but...). Planning to buy Marantz MM7025 power amplifier. However, i am not able to get good idea/details on what preamplifier i can buy. Please let me know any suggestions. Max budget could be around 50K, but i prefer a simpler and cheaper one without compromising the quality.

- Multiple input is not needed. One RCA and one XLR should be sufficient. The simpler the better.
- Volume control and Remote is needed. Tone control is optional
- I prefer a pre-amp without DAC, but a unit with digital input source also fine (but the DAC should be comparable with my Bifrost)

Also i have questions like:
- Can i directly use the output of my Bifrost DAC to Power amplifier (atleast to start with) and use my mobile phone player for volume control? However, i will not have option to control volume when i use my CD player.
- Can i use any headphone amplifier instead of pre-amp? If so any suggestions.

My stereo setup is separate room, using Marantz NR1506 as a pre-amp is ruled out (unless i move to a different house). My preferred buying option is from an authorized dealer in India, however, i have option to get from Singapore also (with max weight 5Kg, anything bigger will scare my friend)

I am also in the process of getting power amplifier to my Marantz NR1608 for better stereo sound and have shortlisted Emotiva A-300. What is your opinion about Marantz NR series avr as pre amplifier. I may look for Marantz PM7004, 7005 also as both have HT Bypass mode. FM post your experience who are using or used Marantz NR series avr in pre amplifier mode with external power amplifier.

Have been using the Acoustic Portrait Swara tube preamp for a few months now. I'm totally satisfied. Priced at 33k, it won't break your budget. Has 3 inputs. But no XLR. They also have a power amp from the same series, FYI.

- Can i directly use the output of my Bifrost DAC to Power amplifier (atleast to start with) and use my mobile phone player for volume control? However, i will not have option to control volume when i use my CD player.

You can use a passive preamp like Schiit Sys. It comes cheap. However, I haven’t liked the sound when I tried a passive preamp instead of active preamp. Guess that could vary depending on your DAC and amp (as well as sound preference).

- Can i use any headphone amplifier instead of pre-amp? If so any suggestions.

Check with the headphone amp mfr if that’s doable. I tried my Schiit Valhalla2 (its documentation says it can be used as a preamp) but it used to trip my power amp. When I wrote to Schiit, their suggestion was to not use the Valhalla as preamp (contrary to what their own manual says) and suggested to go for one of their proper preamps. I went for Lyrita DHT and have been reasonably satisfied.

Marantz poweramps may need preamp with 1.2vrms out for better matching.I had MM7055 earlier which would sound better with marantz avr(1.2vrms) than Yamaha abr(1vrms).Also I had tested it Music fidelity preamp(2ch) with Marantz old KI stereo amp pre out and every time it sounded richer with Marantz preout only.So matching is also important.

Thanks for the input. I hope i can rule out the option of using Headphone amp as preamp and look for a proper preamp. Also i need to check about the RMS matching. Not sure if preamps other than Marantz Receiver will make a good match. I was checking Schiit freya S as one option, but it has 2V RMS.

Marantz poweramps may need preamp with 1.2vrms out for better matching.I had MM7055 earlier which would sound better with marantz avr(1.2vrms) than Yamaha abr(1vrms).Also I had tested it Music fidelity preamp(2ch) with Marantz old KI stereo amp pre out and every time it sounded richer with Marantz preout only.So matching is also important.

I tried to read and understand the technical details around the 'matching', but couldn't get much. Is the matching should be exact or anything greater than what is needed by the power amplifier is good. Like the Schiit freya S output is 2V RMS. Will that be good with Martanz MM7025 (which is 1.2 RMS)?

Have been using the Acoustic Portrait Swara tube preamp for a few months now. I'm totally satisfied. Priced at 33k, it won't break your budget. Has 3 inputs. But no XLR. They also have a power amp from the same series, FYI.
Hi! Sorry for a new question in this thread .May I know what power amp & speakers you are using for swara tube preamp.
I'm having adcom GFA 535 -stereo power amp .So thought of trying swara tube pre .But I don't know whether the pre amp supports the adcom 535 ..
and I'm having doubt matching tube pre + solid state power amp.
The swara tube pre has an output impedence of 280 ohms (don't know the output voltage spec) ,and the adcom 535 power amp has input impedence of 100k ohms & input sensitivity of 970mV RMS- based on the sepecifications.
Somebody could help on this .

Hello Rajith, I use an Odyssey Kismet power amp and Aurum Cantus 620 speakers. If you mail AP with your Adcom specifications, they'll guide you. I was using a JC2 clone before. The Swara has been a revelation, literally! And, the lows have improved beyond my wildest dreams.

Hello Rajith, I use an Odyssey Kismet power amp and Aurum Cantus 620 speakers. If you mail AP with your Adcom specifications, they'll guide you. I was using a JC2 clone before. The Swara has been a revelation, literally! And, the lows have improved beyond my wildest dreams.
Thank u .I will do the same.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back