Preamplifier / Selector Confusion

Mayank Shah

I am under the impression that a preamp adds its own sound signature. I don't know about passive/ active and all other tech stuff. I am very happy with my dac which has usb, coax and optical inputs, and both RCA and XLR outputs. DAC outputs both RCA and XLR at the same time. (Not sure as to how that can be utilised, but had the urge to say it). Now for the fun part...

Sources are the DAC, CDP, Streamer and TT. Currently hooked up the laptop, streamer (optical) and CDP (coax) to the DAC. I always wanted monoblocks or a poweramp. TT is going to be an issue with the Poweramp/monos though. Speakers are 8 ohms / 91 dB - Tannoy XT8F.

Leaving aside the cost and other factors for a while, I was suggested that a Jolida preamp with ss amplification would be very good and take care of all my sources, ofcourse the TT input being fed in from a phono. This way my DAC inputs are free and can later add the Eitr via coax to the DAC.

Is there something like a selector with volume control which doesn't colour the sound in anyway?

The DAC itself has volume control so optimally, all my sources go into it. Would need just a 2 in / 1 out selector to accomodate the TT.

Streamer (PW Link) has got RCA input. I maybe be totally wrong, but would connecting the phono out into streamer RCA work? It's a preamp too and has trigger out. So, TT phono out > streamer RCA in > streamer RCA out > selector. Can we use the trigger out to the Poweramp?

Sorry for not being clear, it's a bit half baked and chaotic. Hoping you all could clarify.

To sum it up, I want to use the DAC to the fullest possible for all sources with a power amp or monos, TT has to be incorporated somehow and the chances of using the RCA input of streamer/pre if any.

I was also suggested this by FM @MaSh

Emotive pre and selector

Cheers.

Last edited:
I think there is still some hidden questions:). What made you think that you are not using your DAC to fullest?

Also, what amplifier Tannoys are connected to?

I think there is still some hidden questions:). What made you think that you are not using your DAC to fullest?

Also, what amplifier Tannoys are connected to?
CDP and streamer have line level outputs, they can be directly connected to the preamp or selector. Since I am under the impression the the pre will add to the sound (which maybe good or bad) and they can also be connected to the DAC which has volume control, so might as well utilise the dac to its fullest. But a pre or selector does give me an option to add Schiit Eitr later to the dac coax as majority of my content is on the laptop.

No amp....hence the need to get a Poweramp or monos.

Last edited:
Do you know if your DAC has option to bypass volume control? Basically, is there any option that makes line out operate at fixed level? If so, depending on your budget, you can go for pre power combo of any renowned brand. If it does not let you bypass volume control, you can start with just a power amp.

With so many brands out there it always becomes confusing and almost all of them perform at more than decent level. You can look at Schiit Freya with two Vidars.

I would strongly advise to use XLR output from your DAC.

I am under the impression that a preamp adds its own sound signature. I don't know about passive/ active and all other tech stuff. I am very happy with my dac which has usb, coax and optical inputs, and both RCA and XLR outputs. DAC outputs both RCA and XLR at the same time. (Not sure as to how that can be utilised, but had the urge to say it). Now for the fun part...

Sources are the DAC, CDP, Streamer and TT. Currently hooked up the laptop, streamer (optical) and CDP (coax) to the DAC. I always wanted monoblocks or a poweramp. TT is going to be an issue with the Poweramp/monos though. Speakers are 8 ohms / 91 dB - Tannoy XT8F.

Leaving aside the cost and other factors for a while, I was suggested that a Jolida preamp with ss amplification would be very good and take care of all my sources, ofcourse the TT input being fed in from a phono. This way my DAC inputs are free and can later add the Eitr via coax to the DAC.

Is there something like a selector with volume control which doesn't colour the sound in anyway?

The DAC itself has volume control so optimally, all my sources go into it. Would need just a 2 in / 1 out selector to accomodate the TT.

Streamer (PW Link) has got RCA input. I maybe be totally wrong, but would connecting the phono out into streamer RCA work? It's a preamp too and has trigger out. So, TT phono out > streamer RCA in > streamer RCA out > selector. Can we use the trigger out to the Poweramp?

Sorry for not being clear, it's a bit half baked and chaotic. Hoping you all could clarify.

To sum it up, I want to use the DAC to the fullest possible for all sources with a power amp or monos, TT has to be incorporated somehow and the chances of using the RCA input of streamer/pre if any.

I was also suggested this by FM @MaSh

Emotive pre and selector

Cheers.
Hi Mayank , I have a similar set up as yours where in i have all my sources connected to a DAC with volume control . I use this as my pre amp. The dac in turn is connected to a pair of monoblocks which power my speakers. and the set up works and sounds absolutely awesome.
cheers !
Anand

I am bit Skeptical about using the DACs with Volume control, because most of them use Digital Preamp section which leads to attenuation of the SQ and details in my opinion/experience. Always look for DACs with dedicated or analog Preamp Section , Some DACs like AMR 777 , which perform pretty well as preamps. Most of them with analog preamp section, allow for Analog Inputs as well, along with digital inputs. If you intend to use the DAC as preamp, just look for ones with dedicated analog preamp section.

Yes Preamps do have a Signature of their own and matching them with rest of the chain & especially withPower amps is quite critical , Adding a tube Pre to an SS Power yields very good results, My current opinion is having a tube somewhere(anywhere) in the chain adds to that needed warmth and emotional connect to the music reproduction we all yearn for. Recently a AP TUBE DAC connected directly to the Power (Whatshifi Hyd) gave amazing SQ without a dedicated analog Preamp section.

I would probably try connecting Phono out from TT to your PW Link, run Room correction and see if it works out , but that will be a long Signal path for TT, undesirable. My vote is for adding a dedicated Analog, Balanced (Preferably Tube) Preamplifier like Freya instead of employing digital volume control; YMMV.

I second @drkrack opinions. Dac with digital volume control is just casual feature, it will just attenuate the actual singal. Its like feeding direct input of dac to poweramp with attenuation, not a fan of that, generally it will rob the sound of good bass and liquidity that a dedicated preamp can offer. A dedicated preamp is the way to go, if your dac offers fully balanced xlr output then go for balanced preamp.

I have been rolling DACs, I2s and USB so far. Very interesting sonic impressions and NOT commensurate with the price tag !!!! Haven't graduated to the R2R so far.... hopefully will. That's an expensive step forward.

Go for R2R, it changes whole way of listening to music and sound if you have good system, especially the way the technologies have improved since last couple of years. Irony that pcm1704 was the last r2r chip that was considered excellent and is now obsolete. Current resistor ladder board based dacs are even better that that chip. A really good time to migrate to r2r.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back