Prevent Image Retention and Burn-in

after the break-in period of 200 hours is over, how long can we keep the same sd channel in just mode(without zoom function).

Last edited:
It is a judgment call. Basically break-in period or not, static images must be avoided. Plasma is more to IR suceptible during the break-in period, but just because break-in period is over, it does not mean that IR will not occur afterwards.

It is a judgment call. Basically break-in period or not, static images must be avoided. Plasma is more to IR suceptible during the break-in period, but just because break-in period is over, it does not mean that IR will not occur afterwards.

just 1 question finally.....M planning to buy Samsung PS51E550 .So after reading all the pages about IR m preety confuse about my decision ....:sad: :sad:

so should I go for it??? or an LED but my budget is <75.......so please help me out.....

just 1 question finally.....M planning to buy Samsung PS51E550 .So after reading all the pages about IR m preety confuse about my decision ....:sad: :sad:

so should I go for it??? or an LED but my budget is <75.......so please help me out.....

Yes, Plasma do have IR issue, but one has to take care of it with kids glove. In return, you will get an excellent picture quality that no LEDs can match at the price you are looking for. So you need to take a call between the two. As long as you take some steps to prevent IR, you will be absolutely thrilled watching HD movies on an Plasma. So at the cost of uncompromising PQ, you need to take few precautions with Plasma.

Having said that, here are few things that you can consider for choosing betwen LED and Plasma.
- Plasmas are best suited for darker rooms and LED is for brighter rooms. If your room is bright, the forget about Plasma.
- If you are going to watch more movies, then Plasma is the way to go.
- If you are going to use it as a gaming console, then LED is the way to go.

To me, the best thing I like about Plasma is that you can get a bigger screen size for a reduced price when compared to LED. So if you are prepared to take steps in preventing IR and require the best PQ, then go for Plasma. If you are not, then go for LED. If you want a very good LED which can offer a PQ similar to a Plasma, then go for a smaller screen (40 inch) HX850 with a price around 85k.
So the question for you is - For the sake of PQ, are you ready to take precautions with Plasma or not ? So you decide on it.

Yes, Plasma do have IR issue, but one has to take care of it with kids glove. In return, you will get an excellent picture quality that no LEDs can match at the price you are looking for. So you need to take a call between the two. As long as you take some steps to prevent IR, you will be absolutely thrilled watching HD movies on an Plasma. So at the cost of uncompromising PQ, you need to take few precautions with Plasma.

Having said that, here are few things that you can consider for choosing betwen LED and Plasma.
- Plasmas are best suited for darker rooms and LED is for brighter rooms. If your room is bright, the forget about Plasma.
- If you are going to watch more movies, then Plasma is the way to go.
- If you are going to use it as a gaming console, then LED is the way to go.

To me, the best thing I like about Plasma is that you can get a bigger screen size for a reduced price when compared to LED. So if you are prepared to take steps in preventing IR and require the best PQ, then go for Plasma. If you are not, then go for LED. If you want a very good LED which can offer a PQ similar to a Plasma, then go for a smaller screen (40 inch) HX850 with a price around 85k.
So the question for you is - For the sake of PQ, are you ready to take precautions with Plasma or not ? So you decide on it.

:eek:hyeah: :eek:hyeah: :eek:hyeah: I can take care of that..... and that's excactly what I thought bigger screen for less cash....and I ll b watchin movies and some SD viewing....so I guess off I go to book my Samsung PS51E550......:yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

and thanks for quick reply....:)

:eek:hyeah: :eek:hyeah: :eek:hyeah: I can take care of that..... and that's excactly what I thought bigger screen for less cash....and I ll b watchin movies and some SD viewing....so I guess off I go to book my Samsung PS51E550......:yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

and thanks for quick reply....:)

Don't just think that I will get bigger screen for less. That should not be the reason. The real reason should be is that you are getting better (pq) for less and in the bargain getting larger screen too.

Sent from my GT-I9100G using Tapatalk 2

hi guys , can i watch 1080ps in the break in period, i have not yet completed 100 hrs but i think it is safe as long as there are no black borders which there shouldnt be as OAR will be 16:9 which fits the screen. I have kept the contrast setting and all as per the op's.

@just4kix
Just a small query
When to use the AVSHD 709 Calibration Disc
After the break-in period of 100-200 hours or when you switch on the TV for the first time.

Request to Mods: Make this thread a sticky

Mods - please make this thread a sticky as it is address a very frequently asked question and is very helpful for the owner and prospective buyers of plasma sets. Thanks.

Re: Prevent Image Retention and Burn-in : Measures for my new P42GT50

>>>

Re. measures to ensure no image persistence & image retention in my new P42GT50, I have changed/reduced the colour settings further today as follows with the earlier settings within brackets :

A.
Mode : THX
Contrast : 21 (earlier 25)
Brightness : -3
Colour : 36 (earlier 45)
Sharpness : 25 (earlier 33)
Vivid Colour : Off

B.
The Zoom 3 is used about 90% of the time, Zoom 2 9% of the time and Just about 1% of the time.

Hope this is well within the safe limit.

C.

The channels are changed once every thirty (30) minutes or less.

D.
I will upload the slide show and play it as it is (slides change at 5 second intervals) through Panasonic Viera Media Player utility beginning tomorrow.

Trust this is in order.

issigonis

>>>

The latest readings :

Contrast : 15
Colour : 25
Sharpness : 18

Hope this is completely safe

Regards

>>>

The latest readings :

Contrast : 6
Colour : 12
Sharpness : 0

I started with the slideshow on 16/2/2014.
On average I have run the slideshow for 4 hours daily.
The total number of days being 50 days.

So I have done about 200 hours conservatively.
Is it time now to let the plasma 'show its true colours'?
:licklips:

I have bought an new Plasma and want to do the safe burn-in. But what I am seeing in this thread is that people are going paranoid about IR and going to extreme lengths like setting contrast, brightness, colour, etc to lowest (even 0) which craps out the PQ and really defeat the purpose you bought the TV in the first place. The plasmas panels are not made so delicate that they are thought to get cooked with slightest amount of light, that's plain silly. Just keep the setting to moderate levels and changing channels once in a while is good enough for clean burn-in.

Saying that keeping the TV as dark as possible as the remedy is just being ridiculous. Just watch TV as we normally do and burn-in will happen by itself. Of course it is not a good idea using it as a computer monitor.
Watching Discovery/Natgeo/Sports will ensure good spread of load on pixels.

Last edited:
Just noticed a light/ medium IR from Channel logos on my Sammy P64 8500 after 13 months of careful use. Can directly trace the problem to my family who insist on "binge watching" favorite serials and what is worse, stubbornly refuse to change, or let me "wash out" the IR :(

Am very,very, seriously considering selling the set before the problem gets worse, and get an OLED/LED set. Just wondering if I could get 50% of the original price ( I have even got an extended 3 yr warranty running)

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back