Price Check: Panasonic 850 or Kuro 50"

rockstar1630

Need to know the current prices of these two plasmas in Indian Market:

1. Panasonic 850 50:
2. Pioneer Kuro 50" (Top model) I think 9th gen.

Please help and guide.
Any availability of them in grey market? If yes, what will be the approx prices.

Need to know the current prices of these two plasmas in Indian Market:

1. Panasonic 850 50:
2. Pioneer Kuro 50" (Top model) I think 9th gen.

Please help and guide.
Any availability of them in grey market? If yes, what will be the approx prices.

The Panny will cost you 1.65L

Teh Kuro 9th generation is astronomically priced.. I would recommend the 8 series - the 9 series is only a marginnal improvement on this - not worth the extra money.

Teh 8th gen Kuro will cost you teh same - 1.65 thereabouts...

Ok, which one is better? Kuro 8g or panny 850 and is it advisable to buy it from grey? Approx rates in grey? The display will be used for 90% Blu ray playback (thru PS3) and 10% for HTPC playing 1080p and 720p videos.

Ok, which one is better? Kuro 8g or panny 850 and is it advisable to buy it from grey? Approx rates in grey? The display will be used for 90% Blu ray playback (thru PS3) and 10% for HTPC playing 1080p and 720p videos.

I the Panny rate is with B&W while the Kuro rate I quoted I think is grey (if I recall correctly.)

The Kuro has been an undisputed #1 in the world for a very long time - absolute reference grade! Every LCD or Plasma manufactured was always compared to these. However there are people who feel Panny with this offering had not only bridged the gap .. but also bettered the Kuro in some areas - Quoting cnet -
Taking everything into consideration, the Panasonic TH-50PY850 is mostly on par or even better than our reference Pioneer LX Kuro in motion reproduction and features. At almost half the price of the latter and with limited comparable 2008 entries plus a proven anti-judder engine, this Viera is probably one of the best options for a full-HD plasma TV.

There are people who believe Kuro is better - I however have no first hand information to offer on this. I recommend that you try and get a demo of both - and then decide for yourself. The Panny is of course more cost effective - its Full HD .. while the Full HD version of Kuro is horribly horribly expensive!! Having said that please bear in mind that this may not matter much - unless you plan to sit closer than 5.6 feet of the TV!!

You will not go wrong with either of them!

This is very revealing report.. especially for people who have bought the more popular brands!!...

http://hdguru.com/will-you-see-all-...08-model-test-results-hd-guru-exclusive/287/:)

Please ensure you read the resolution test reports too... http://hdguru.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/2008-resolution-tests-125-hdtvs.pdf

Last edited:
If you can land a Kuro you will be very very pleased. Pioneer makes the best plasma arguably and the Kuro's are amazing monitors. They are premium to make sure you get from an authorised dealer in case of repair or warranty. YOu could also look for a reasonably used one if you can land one though the owners wont part with it so easily :)

It beats the panasonic hands down.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back