Primaphone gramophone

voodoochild

hey all,

i managed to get my hands on a close friend's gramophone today. its got a plaque that says "Primaphone Bombay" at the front, and is minus its horn. also got an ancient tin box full of needles, 2 diaphragms, handcrank and a brush. motor intact, but not in working condition. turntable mat is in very bad condition. metal items have surface deterioration, but are still serviceable.

can anyone furnish any details on this particular brand please? and is there any possible way of dating it? obviously no sale documents etc available hahaha :D

also, is there anyone in bangalore who services/restores gramophones well? i'd appreciate any information provided.

thanks,
rahul

Hi Rahul,

You can contact this person in Chennai.I have not met him but he is supposed to be quite an expert on Gramophones.

Gramophones

His e.mail is [email protected]

All the best in your restoration project.

Regards
Rajiv

hi voodoochild,

Apparently, there is a person in Avenue road (Balaji) who would be worth a try to restore this gramophone.. i was at his place during the previous weekend and he had a couple of them which he told us that he would be restoring soon.

He also has one Gphone restored which we did test and was pretty good.
I am quite sure he would be able to help...

regds

hey prashant,

i'd been to Balaji's store a few days ago, and picked up some LPs n stuff. didnt know he restored gramophones as well!! Should be worth another visit really soon then. i'm trying to attach a few pics of the gramophone taken in a hurry. first time i'm doin this, lets see...

Attachments

• DSC00397.jpg
    DSC00397.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 141
  • DSC00394.jpg
    DSC00394.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 139
Hi voodoochild,

Good luck with the restoration of your Gramophone :)
Would like to know how it went after you have completed.

BTW, how old is the gramophone in that photo

hey,
i hav absolutely no idea how old the gramophone is, as the old guy who bought it is obviously no more, and no one else knows much about it.

i've decided to get atleast the mechanicals right on my own, since most of the parts are original and in decent condition. a small problem though is that the turntable just refuses to come off the spindle no matter what i try. there's no C-clip present, so i'm guessing the turntable should just lift right off. so right now, i cant even get the motor out of the box. any ideas anyone?

thanks
rahul

hey all,

i managed to get my hands on a close friend's gramophone today. its got a plaque that says "Primaphone Bombay" at the front, and is minus its horn. also got an ancient tin box full of needles, 2 diaphragms, handcrank and a brush. motor intact, but not in working condition. turntable mat is in very bad condition. metal items have surface deterioration, but are still serviceable.

can anyone furnish any details on this particular brand please? and is there any possible way of dating it? obviously no sale documents etc available hahaha :D

also, is there anyone in bangalore who services/restores gramophones well? i'd appreciate any information provided.

thanks,
rahul

Hi Rahul

Have you got your primaphone fixed or you need spares or help let me know.
I can organise it for you.

Be very careful with bakelite governor gear coz you make on small misktake it will sheer out and you must replace it.
All the best
Mukundan

hey,
i hav absolutely no idea how old the gramophone is, as the old guy who bought it is obviously no more, and no one else knows much about it.

i've decided to get atleast the mechanicals right on my own, since most of the parts are original and in decent condition. a small problem though is that the turntable just refuses to come off the spindle no matter what i try. there's no C-clip present, so i'm guessing the turntable should just lift right off. so right now, i cant even get the motor out of the box. any ideas anyone?

thanks
rahul

Your Primaphone is 1937 swis or japanese machine .just gets it name tag as made in bombay.
original is UK

I went to balaji's yesterday and found that he also got one Primaphone as well. This is what he told me about the brand "Primaphone used to import parts from europe (mainly Switzerland) to assemble and sell complete units (gramophones) in India." The one that balaji has also needs some repairs.

Last edited:
Back