Primare I30 -- how good is it?

Asit, I could listen both CA 740C and CA 840c side by side using same amp CA 840A and Mezzo floorstander. CA 740C seems to me comparatively soothing than CA 840c. My elder son, who accompanied me for the audition also has same opinion.
So, if I decide CA CDP, I will go for CA 740C.

Oh, here is another person who likes the CA 740/840 CDPs. The 740 and the 840 CDPs have similar sound signatures, the 840 has balanced outputs and also more expensive DACs. When I auditioned them about a year ago, I was led to believe they could beat a few much more expensive CDPs quite easily. I own the 740. And it goes very nicely with my amp, although I sometimes wonder if I should have got the more expensive 840. I am going to stick to my 740.

Regards.

If any body wants the Primare CD31, a one year old, sparingly used is available with my friend for resale at 70K. It's in very good condition & it has a silver finish.
All the best.
Cheers.

Last edited:
Asit, I could listen both CA 740C and CA 840c side by side using same amp CA 840A and Mezzo floorstander. CA 740C seems to me comparatively soothing than CA 840c. My elder son, who accompanied me for the audition also has same opinion.
So, if I decide CA CDP, I will go for CA 740C.

I'd agree with your observations. My conclusion was similar, but I did not hear them both on the same amp and speakers which (i.e., amp+speakers) were both at best mid-level. That's why for me it was difficult to compare. I found them quite similar, but perhaps liked the fludity of 740c slightly better. But as I said above, this observation of mine has to be taken with a pinch of salt because they did not have the same accompnying equipments which were not bad but not higher end products and also my auditions were separated in time. I have also found on the net similar impressions by some. But I do not want to propagate this notion and would leave it to the listener.

But have you heard the Arcam FMJ CD17 player? That is the comparison I am really interested in. Try to audition that if possible and then make your decision because the CD17 and the 740c are similarly priced. The 740c/840c have the advantage of being used as a stand-alone DAC too. But if the CD17 is way better than 740c as a CDP, I think I'd go with it.

Sorry folks, for the continuation of out of thread talk.

Afg, I have auditioned the Cayin A88T extensively and reported the audition in my long amp thread. In general I liked the A88T. Yes, it has a good tonality and a relatively clean sound. I had the I30 also in my mind initially, but did not have any opportunity to audition it in Kolkata. Ultimately I settled for the Leben CS300 amp, and I consider it in a different class. It beats the Cayin in clarity, separation of instruments, macro and microdynamics and soundstage although the Cayin is also no slouch.

Regards.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back