Problem with Onkyo 595 avr - no signal from left channel

anm

It is quite strange. My avr was out of duty for quite some time, as I was pressing my HK (harman kardon, not Hong Kong) stereo amp into movie+music duty. However, I had to test the usb->spdif adapter when I got from HK(Hong Kong, not harman kardon), so I connected my left/ right front speakers to the avr. It happened once then. The left speaker had no output. I thought I had problem with the bare wire and binding post. I tried reconnecting and it worked. I then disconnected the speakers to connect back my stereo amp.
Now I wanted to press my avr back into duty and separate out hk for music only - the issue happened again. I tried reconnecting but it didn't work. I tried the right speaker with this channel and it didn't work. Though I am sure sound came out for a moment or two when I was switching and checking all the channels.
But now, there is no confusion. There is no output from left channel. I opened up the chasis, and tested with a normal tester. It lit up for all channels except the left one.
Any helps on DIY fixing of this issue? I have never opened up an AVR before this.

regards

It is quite strange. My avr was out of duty for quite some time, as I was pressing my HK (harman kardon, not Hong Kong) stereo amp into movie+music duty. However, I had to test the usb->spdif adapter when I got from HK(Hong Kong, not harman kardon), so I connected my left/ right front speakers to the avr. It happened once then. The left speaker had no output. I thought I had problem with the bare wire and binding post. I tried reconnecting and it worked. I then disconnected the speakers to connect back my stereo amp.
Now I wanted to press my avr back into duty and separate out hk for music only - the issue happened again. I tried reconnecting but it didn't work. I tried the right speaker with this channel and it didn't work. Though I am sure sound came out for a moment or two when I was switching and checking all the channels.
But now, there is no confusion. There is no output from left channel. I opened up the chasis, and tested with a normal tester. It lit up for all channels except the left one.
Any helps on DIY fixing of this issue? I have never opened up an AVR before this.

regards

you are very adventurous i must say. i mean i would never open a costly electronic gadget. of course this is a wrong comment if you have electronics/electrical background.
from whatever you describe, there is a loose connection somewhere, i guess it is somewhere between amplifier to the internal part of the binding post.i think that this has nothing to do with the decoding or amplifying part but distal to that. you will have to trace the wire from the binding post backwards.

hmm actually I am not that adventurous - that's why I closed the cabinet after basic inspection. Maybe it is a fuse somewhere. I will try to find out more. I am more afraid of getting an electric shock that burning it down :lol:
Do not have an electrical/ electronics background. Though there was one compulsory electronics course in my second yr of engineering - and did ok. But do not remember anything about it anymore.

To my mind you have two options

1.If it is within the warranty or if the Onkyo showroom/dealer is easily accessible, take it there.Their ASS is good.

2. Get a good local radio techie to do some basic trouble shooting- that kind of stuff is not difficult to do. I normally always go to someone whom I know well for all repairs-he is a radio/electronics techie, and if he cant fix it he will tell me to go to Onkyo. On one occasion my nephew connected my Onkyo AV receiver(110V) to a 220V socket and the fuse blew-he immediately diagnosed and fixed it.

regards

First rule of any electronics, esp. if you are not handy to fix them, switch all of them before changing configurations. Now that we have this behind us, if your AVR is under warranty take it back. Otherwise it could be a blown fuse though it is very surprising.

Had the USB/SPDIF adapter ever work? It could be a cheap knock off that could be putting a lot of stress on your AVR causing it to fail.

From your post that it worked once but now it's not working it's looks like there is a fried IC for the left channels case. The fuses in the onkyo are for the power supply issues and not for the speaker outputs. The outputs are through a card which has all the channels on it. It could either be on that card or the amplification channel of that particular channel I would suggest u to take it to Onkyo service for repairs.

yes the usb spdif adapter worked fine. I played the internet radio/ wmp for some time before going to sleep that night (max an hour or so). Not sure how could that stress the avr that much.

regards

First rule of any electronics, esp. if you are not handy to fix them, switch all of them before changing configurations. Now that we have this behind us, if your AVR is under warranty take it back. Otherwise it could be a blown fuse though it is very surprising.

Had the USB/SPDIF adapter ever work? It could be a cheap knock off that could be putting a lot of stress on your AVR causing it to fail.

there is no warranty. I will give another try and then call the onkyo service person - let's see if he can come home.

regards

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back