Progressive Rock/Krautrock/Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Avant Garde/Experimental etc Music Recommendations

Raaj DSV

Progressive Rock/Krautrock/Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Avant Garde/Experimental etc Music Recommendations

The term Progressive Rock is very broad and covers really very vast sub genres of music under its wings. Though it may not be everybody's cup of tea, if you get used to it, this music would lead you to listen very broadminded music and in fact changes your music tastes forever.

Like everybody, I too developed my music habits with some regional music (Telugu), then started to explore old Bollywood, Pop music and then whole lot world of music. Though, I explored so much of music in the last 35 years (Now, Iam 43 BTW), I personally feel, I explored only a drop from the ocean of music. Everyday it's a lesson, new explorations and new adventures in my music habits.

Before I start my music recommendations in this genre, I will give you some links where you may understand few things about these things.

Introduction:
Some Other Important Links: These links may give you broad idea to understand the artists, albums etc... But don't rely on them too much especially, the ratings. Always remember one thing, your ears gives best judgement to understand the music. And certainly, not the so called ratings. But, just use them to understand the music in a better way, especially when you are new into the scene.
I will give some recommendations on each genre, like some essential albums to explore, that is entirely in my experience point of view.

Then, later on, every week, I will try to post five to six songs or an album as my recommendations, usually through youtube links that I found online.

Please note that my updates will depend on your enthusiasm and with your feedback and comments.

You can always feel free to ask for any music recommendations/suggestions if you need.

Hope you enjoy it.

Edit:
RaajB.jpg

Beginner's guide to explore: {Recommended Albums for a beginner)

First let me start with few of my favorite albums

Just click on the link, it will lead you to relevant information to that particular album.

Phase 2: Sub Genre Wise Recommendations

If you really interested my first set of recommendations in the above page, I would recommend you to explore the following albums on Prog's sub genre wise.

Please note, these are recommendations on my point of view and on my own experience based only. As always, there's always better albums according to individual choices/tastes

Artist Name follows the album name and the year of release.

Progressive Rock Recommendations:

Canterbury:

Heavy Prog Recommendations

Last edited by a moderator:
Krautrock Recommendations:

Psychedelic/Acid Rock:

Japanese & Other Asian Psych-Prog:

Italian Prog:

Space Prog

Jazz Rock/Fusion:

Avant Prog/Avant Garde/Experimental/Zeuhl/Rock In Opposition

Well, for the time being, I hope that's more than enough to explore proper Prog-Rock. I left few other sub genres like Symphonic Prog, Hammond Prog, Prog Folk etc... But I covered all the essential albums of those genres in the Prog-Rock recommendations. And Please note these recommendations are on perception and on my experiences only. There's always a chance that I could have missed some stellar ones

I hope you enjoy this thread and the music that I recommended. I would love to see your feedback now. :)

Raaj

Uriah Heep is one of the greatest Rock bands I've explored. This "July Morning" is an epic song from their album "Look at Yourself" released in 1971. David Byron Vocals, Ken Hensly keyboards and Mick Box guitars are simply fantastic.

A trivia for you, "Manfred Mann" appeared as a guest musician in this song for the very first time with his legendary Moog Synthesizer. Enjoy this great song and have a great day...Raaj.

In continuation to my earliear recommendation, If you are wondering who is "Manfred Mann", well, here it goes. Watchout for keyboards, moog Synthesizer sounds. He is really virtuoso of Moog. One of my top favourite songs. Enjoy...Raaj.

John McLaughlin recorded an album called "Devotion" in 1969 just after he left Miles Davis band. Unlike any of his previous or future albums, he played Acid/Psychedelic Rock in this one. This "Marbles" song is pure bliss to listen even to this day.

BTW, this was covered by Carlos Santana in 1972. Both are fantastic versions. But, I prefer this original one. Will post Santana version next... Have a good day... Raaj

Carlos Santana cover Version of Marbles song.

Uriah Heep is one of the greatest Rock bands I've explored. This "July Morning" is an epic song from their album "Look at Yourself" released in 1971. David Byron Vocals, Ken Hensly keyboards and Mick Box guitars are simply fantastic.

A trivia for you, "Manfred Mann" appeared as a guest musician in this song for the very first time with his legendary Moog Synthesizer. Enjoy this great song and have a great day...Raaj.

This is the thread I've been looking for a while. .I've resolved to get off buying dabbas and to listen instead. That led me to a smoky female vocal coma only interrupted by RHCP{/Floyd/Porcupine Tree for a while and really Tripped on this one. Had forgotten that I l loved this kind of stuff :)

Today is a Uriah Heep evening. Demons and Wizards are pouring out of my panels.

Lovely thread this one, keep it coming :)

ciao
gr

"The Incredible String Band" is one of the pioneers of British Folk-Rock movement in mid 1960's. "Maybe Someday" was their debut song recorded 53 years ago which is still sounds incredible. Enjoy and have a great day... Raaj.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back